FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Guide to and Questions Concerning Connecting thru HNL & other Hawai`i airports
Old Sep 10, 2013, 7:43 am
djsteve

Programs: NZ Elite, QFWP, IHG Plat, *wood Gold
Nicer seat and tighter connection Vs. poorer seat and safe connection?

Similar to the above post, I am seeking some sage advice on a planned transit (coming back through HNL this time) of HNL.
I have either NRT-HNL arriving on JL at 09.25 on their 767 or arriving at 10.10 on the 772.
The 772 appears to have nicer J seats than the 767 but gives me 2hr10mins to clear customs and entry to the states and catch the AA162 back to LAX.
I would very much prefer this flight as I am hoping to get some sleep on the flight.

On the face of it, this gives me sufficient time and I will not need to wait for luggage as hand luggage only trip. Check-in for my HNL-LAX can be done online presumably before my departure from NRT too.

Any wisdom from the collective? Separate tickets of course and I have another connection to make in LAX, but should i miss that worst case is a rebooking on the next flight (to JFK) to ensure i catch the next and final connection to LHR...

Also worth mentioning I am a non-USA passport holder so not sure if there are separate queues for foreign passport holders and indeed if these are longer! As I am coming back from a previous transit of the states 7days prior would this hold me up for further questioning too and factoring in?

cheers
dj