Old Mar 12, 2013, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: slippahs
Print Wikipost

Guide to and Questions Concerning Connecting thru HNL & other Hawai`i airports

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2012, 12:10 am

Interline Agreement between Go! Mokulele and Delta

Can anyone confirm or deny whether Delta and Go! Mokulele have an interline agreement? Flying into HNL from LAX and then onto LIH (2 separate tickets), and don't want to have to collect bags and recheck for the inter-island flight. I know Go! has a terrible reputation, but I'm willing to roll the dice since it would mean a much much shorter layover than if we fly HA. Thanks in advance to the experts!
Old May 9, 2012, 8:24 pm

Inter-terminal cxn time at OGG?

Aloha y'all!

I'm doing an island hop on my trip to Hawaii in two weeks' time. Go! has bumped me from an in-terminal connection at OGG to a connection with a Mokulele Cessna departing from the commuter terminal.

They've allowed 45 minutes for this connection. Will I have time to stop at the gift shop before I traipse from the main terminal to the commuter terminal? And will I have to clear TSA again? I will have no bags at all.

Mahalo in advance.

Last edited by Gridlock Joe; May 9, 2012 at 8:34 pm Reason: thought of another question
Old May 9, 2012, 8:27 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Delta SkyMiles, Fairmont President's Club ,Marriott Rewards,
Not if you intend to catch the flight Joe....
Old May 10, 2012, 9:06 pm

20 Minute Connection on Island Air?

Our family will be staying a few nights on Maui followed by a few nights on Kauai this summer. I booked us an Island Air nonstop from OGG to LIH, departing at 4:35p arriving at 5:35p, for 5k UA miles apiece.

Tonight I got a call saying the flight had been cancelled and we are now booked as:
Depart OGG 6:50p -> Arrive HNL 7:25p
Depart HNL 7:45p -> Arrive LIH 8:20p

It doesn't appear this is a valid connection when I try to book it through IslandAir.com or Expedia. The second segment is the last flight to LIH on WP. How concerned should I be about missing this connection? Will WP make every effort to get me there on HA if I miss this? Will they put us up at a decent hotel if we can't connect?

Any advice regarding keeping/modifying this flight will be appreciated.
Old May 10, 2012, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by 8tracks
It doesn't appear this is a valid connection when I try to book it through IslandAir.com or Expedia. The second segment is the last flight to LIH on WP. How concerned should I be about missing this connection? Will WP make every effort to get me there on HA if I miss this? Will they put us up at a decent hotel if we can't connect?

Any advice regarding keeping/modifying this flight will be appreciated.
I'd call United and inform them you think that there's a improper connection and see what they can do for you. I'd rather not risk missing the last flight of the night and put my fate in the hands of WP.

United's hold times haven't improved too much, but use Lucyphone.
Old May 13, 2012, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by slippahs
I'd call United and inform them you think that there's a improper connection and see what they can do for you. I'd rather not risk missing the last flight of the night and put my fate in the hands of WP.
The only other flight flight UA can put us on departs at 9am, which would ruin too many plans. For now I'm sticking with the 20 minute connection.

Can anyone tell me how carry on luggage works on WP from OGG to HNL? I'm hoping we will place it on a luggage cart as we board and retrieve it from a cart when we land. If we have to wait for a baggage handler to unload it and place it in the jetway (will we even go through a jetway at HNL?) then that would slow us down further.

Thanks.
Old May 14, 2012, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by 8tracks
The only other flight flight UA can put us on departs at 9am, which would ruin too many plans. For now I'm sticking with the 20 minute connection.

Can anyone tell me how carry on luggage works on WP from OGG to HNL? I'm hoping we will place it on a luggage cart as we board and retrieve it from a cart when we land. If we have to wait for a baggage handler to unload it and place it in the jetway (will we even go through a jetway at HNL?) then that would slow us down further.

Thanks.
Yes... however, WP has stringent carry on requirements in terms of weight and the agent at check in may ask you to weigh your bag and force you to check it if it's overweight (20 lbs?). Best solution is to avoid the check-in counters.
Old May 14, 2012, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by slippahs
Yes... however, WP has stringent carry on requirements in terms of weight and the agent at check in may ask you to weigh your bag and force you to check it if it's overweight (20 lbs?). Best solution is to avoid the check-in counters.
Web site says weight limit is 16 lbs. (wow!) and must be small enough to store in an overhead compartment (8.5″H x 45.5″L x 17.5″W: pull up door / 7″H x 37″L x 14″W: pull down door). I assume this means all carry on luggage gets carried on, unlike with a typical regional jet.

Do these overhead bins fill up? If I print our boarding passes at the hotel and avoid the counters will there still be a risk of having the bags weighed? (I don't expect these to be much beyond 20 lbs. and I can bring an extra folded bag as there will be three bags for four passengers.) Are there any tricks to boarding early?
Old May 21, 2012, 2:07 pm

Big Changes to HA's Interline Policy

I don't know if this has been posted previously but Hawaiian Air is getting much more strict on the interlining of bags between them and other airlines. Basically, they won't be interlining any bags if the two flights aren't booked on 1 ticket. This goes in effect in a couple weeks on June 1, 2012. You can read more about it here.

Basically HA will make passengers collect their bags at baggage claim and re-check/go through security, unless everything is booked on the same ticket. What a hassle.
Old May 21, 2012, 3:59 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by TrojanFan
I don't know if this has been posted previously but Hawaiian Air is getting much more strict on the interlining of bags between them and other airlines.
Much discussion here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawai...ive-6-1-a.html
Old May 27, 2012, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by Gridlock Joe
Aloha y'all!

I'm doing an island hop on my trip to Hawaii in two weeks' time. Go! has bumped me from an in-terminal connection at OGG to a connection with a Mokulele Cessna departing from the commuter terminal.

They've allowed 45 minutes for this connection. Will I have time to stop at the gift shop before I traipse from the main terminal to the commuter terminal? And will I have to clear TSA again? I will have no bags at all.

Mahalo in advance.
Turns out YV was able to get me on an earlier flight, so the connection was no trouble at all. And I have now been to all 5 counties in Hawaii. Next visit? Maui.
Old May 28, 2012, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Wirelessly posted (iPhone-ETOPS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B206 Safari/7534.48.3)

Aloha y'all!

Mahalo in advance.
Turns out YV was able to get me on an earlier flight, so the connection was no trouble at all. And I have now been to all 5 counties in Hawaii. Next visit? Maui.
Quite impressive that you were able to visit Kalaupapa. On a tour I presume?
Old Jun 21, 2012, 7:58 pm
txp

Programs: UA, AA, DL, BA, Marriott, Hilton, Accor, Hyatt
HNL transfer from mainland to inter-island

We will be arriving at HNL on UA from Houston IAH and transfer to HA flight to KOA. These are separate tickets so we will have to claim our bags in HNL and re-check them on the HA flight to KOA. Do you recommend (a) taking the bus to the inter-island terminal, or (b) walk the 1/2 mile or so to the inter-island terminal? Thank you!
Old Jun 21, 2012, 8:22 pm

Programs: AK, DL,UA
With rolling bags you can walk. With lots of bags/ non-rollers walk pushing a cart. Its not a half a mile. Turn left as you go out of the bldg and take the sidewalk till it crosses a driveway & makes a right curve. Elevators up 1 floor to check-in. Plenty of signage.

Separate issue... but I would ask at baggage drop in IAH if they will tag your bags to the final (KOA) so you don't have to re-claim. Several folks have posted that UA & other mainland carriers are still interlining bags to final destination. Its HA that is pulling the separate itinerary refusal to interline, so you will/may be subjected to it on your return to HNL from KOA.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 3:16 pm

Programs: AK, DL,UA
Originally Posted by Salisbury5
I am flying OGG-HNL-ORD in a week or so.
Could someone please explain to me exactly how to go from the inter island terminal after I have picked up my bags to the other terminal where I can re-check my bags for United?
Claim your baggage down stairs (inter-island terminal). If your baggage rolls, you can avoid paying for a baggage cart. Exit out of baggage claim onto the outdoor sidewalk, turn right & follow the sidewalk as it curves left. You will cross a small driveway and the ahead of you is the straightaway, where on this level are the baggage claims for all the mainland airlines. One level up on this straight section is where you check in for your United flight & re-check your bags. There is an escalator, stairs and elevator to get up to this level. Just roll on down the sidewalk till you see the United check in counters.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.