FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: slippahs
Print Wikipost

Guide to and Questions Concerning Connecting thru HNL & other Hawai`i airports

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2011, 11:20 am

Programs: CO, HA, CA, AA,
good question...

'Go' does interline with UA, I called them. thanks for all the great information, this will save me a lot of time and trouble. I wasn't looking forward to more TSA grope! or the looong walk in the heat!
Old Apr 16, 2011, 12:35 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA 1K, HERTZ Presidents Circle
Flying OGG to HNL Connection CO Flight to IAH

Do we have to clear TSA when we arrive in HNL or can we had straight for the mainland gates? Since I know we clear TSA in OGG. CO said our baggage would be checked all the way through but one thing I can't check in online with HA or with CO so that kind of worried me with the checking of bags all the way through.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 6:11 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Delta SkyMiles, Fairmont President's Club ,Marriott Rewards,
No Problem

Originally Posted by nwdogahunt
Do we have to clear TSA when we arrive in HNL or can we had straight for the mainland gates? Since I know we clear TSA in OGG. CO said our baggage would be checked all the way through but one thing I can't check in online with HA or with CO so that kind of worried me with the checking of bags all the way through.
When you present yourselves and your checked baggage at OGG.......present your itineraries/ itinerary and the bags will be interlined. OGG-HNL-IAD. You need not fetch them in HNL...they will be transferred to your Mainland bound plane. When you arrive in HNL...just stay within the secure area and you will not have to go through"Security" again......Just the once at your departure from OGG prior to boarding the HA flight. There is a simple AG inspection of your carry-on once in HNL.
Not sure what you mean by "I can't check in online with HA or with CO"...Do you mean you will not have access to a computer? Either way, the ticket agent at HA in OGG will print out your baggage tags as well as all of your boarding passes at that time for both flights.If you do get access to a computer to check-in online but do not have access to a printer....the ticket agent will print the BPasses out for you at OGG. I don't understand your concern or the tie-in of not checking in online and the baggage being Interlined?
No worries.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 10:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by nwdogahunt
Assuming you've successfully interlined your bags, you will not need to deal with the TSA at HNL, unless you take a wrong turn from the inter-island terminal. Watch the signs and do not go through the exit - either walk to the main terminal or go upstairs and grab the wiki-wiki shuttle.

You will need to clear the Agricultural inspection, either before boarding the wiki-wiki, or before entering the main terminal from inside. This is not TSA, but you will need to put your bags through an x-ray to check for fruit, plants and other items which are prohibited to leave the islands. You may bring pineapple from any source (buying at a supermarket or Costco is cheapest), you don't need to purchase the overpriced tourist pineapples in boxes. If you are flying back to Canada, you may have a problem importing the pineapple there, so you'll need to check with Canada Customs before hand if that is your final destination (your profile says YYZ).

You should be able to check-in online for your connecting flight the morning before you leave OGG or the night before (24h before departure time) at your hotel - ask where the business center is. Failing this, you will need to present yourself for check-in at your HNL gate, and at least one hour before departure is recommended. I highly recommend finding a computer at your OGG hotel or at Kinkos in town to make sure you are checked-in with boarding passes in hand for your mainland flight before departing OGG.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 8:21 pm

OGG to KOA to NYC

Evening All,

What would your recommendations be for an inter-island flight/airline between OGG and KOA. Our return flight out of Kona is operated by UA to SFO where we switch to a CO flight back to EWR.

Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 10, 2011, 12:27 am

Programs: UA platinum, HA platinum, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, Priority Club, SPG
Originally Posted by petep
Evening All,

What would your recommendations be for an inter-island flight/airline between OGG and KOA. Our return flight out of Kona is operated by UA to SFO where we switch to a CO flight back to EWR.

Thanks in advance!
Hawaiian Airlines! Book as soon as you can as there are only a couple nonstops a day between OGG and KOA. The flights that go via HNL are more expensive. Lately the fares rarely go down; looks like the fare wars are over. Would recommend that you not fly Go-Mokulele (or whatever they are called now) as their flights are frequently delayed or cancelled.

Have you purchased the UA/CO flights already? Hawaiian is a partner, but in the few times I've checked, it was cheaper to book the Hawaiian flight directly from their website than to try to combine the flight into the UA/CO itinerary. They will interline bags provided you do not have more than a 4-hr layover.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 4:50 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Delta SkyMiles, Fairmont President's Club ,Marriott Rewards,
Inter-Island Travel

Hawaiian Airlines is No # 1 for Safety, Comfort and On-time performance.
http://www.hawaiianair.com/
Old Jun 10, 2011, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by stravels
Hawaiian Airlines! Book as soon as you can as there are only a couple nonstops a day between OGG and KOA. The flights that go via HNL are more expensive. Lately the fares rarely go down; looks like the fare wars are over. Would recommend that you not fly Go-Mokulele (or whatever they are called now) as their flights are frequently delayed or cancelled.

Have you purchased the UA/CO flights already? Hawaiian is a partner, but in the few times I've checked, it was cheaper to book the Hawaiian flight directly from their website than to try to combine the flight into the UA/CO itinerary. They will interline bags provided you do not have more than a 4-hr layover.
Yes we have already booked the CO/UA portion of our ticket are now looking at the inter-island flights seperately but asap! Thx for the recommendation!

Sorry for this newbie question but i assume interlining bags means that we can ask Hawaiian Airlines to send our checked bags straight to our CO/UA flight as they have a partnership/agreement?
Old Jun 10, 2011, 9:16 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Correct. Make sure you have your UA/CO boarding passes, or an itinerary that shows your UA/CO ticket number.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by cblaisd
Correct. Make sure you have your UA/CO boarding passes, or an itinerary that shows your UA/CO ticket number.
Great, thanks!!
Old Jun 10, 2011, 1:43 pm

Transfer time at HNL for international flights

I will be flying from Tokyo to HNL and then on to LIH. I am concerned about how much time I will need to go from my Delta flight landing at HNL and my interisland flight to LIH.

My biggest concern is how long it will take to get through customs and what might happen if I do miss my flight as I know the interisland airlines charge big fees to change your flight. Secondary concern is which interisland carriers have inter-line agreements with Delta or if that would really matter since I need to go through customs.

* How long do I need to allow between my flight landing at HNL from NRT and getting through customs and getting to my interisland flight ? Is 2 hours sufficient ?

* Is there a smart way to protect against having missed my interisland flight, for example buying a refundable ticket or HA coach plus ? Or should I chance it and just pay the extra only if I miss the flight ?

* I know I need to get my bags before going through customs. Will I need to go out of the secure area and recheck with the interisland flight or is there some way to interline the bag even though I need to present it to customs ?

* Which interisland airlines have interline agreements with Delta ?

Thank you for any advice,
Alan
Old Jun 10, 2011, 4:33 pm

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by alanwar
I will be flying from Tokyo to HNL and then on to LIH. I am concerned about how much time I will need to go from my Delta flight landing at HNL and my interisland flight to LIH.

My biggest concern is how long it will take to get through customs and what might happen if I do miss my flight as I know the interisland airlines charge big fees to change your flight. Secondary concern is which interisland carriers have inter-line agreements with Delta or if that would really matter since I need to go through customs.

* How long do I need to allow between my flight landing at HNL from NRT and getting through customs and getting to my interisland flight ? Is 2 hours sufficient ?

* Is there a smart way to protect against having missed my interisland flight, for example buying a refundable ticket or HA coach plus ? Or should I chance it and just pay the extra only if I miss the flight ?

* I know I need to get my bags before going through customs. Will I need to go out of the secure area and recheck with the interisland flight or is there some way to interline the bag even though I need to present it to customs ?

* Which interisland airlines have interline agreements with Delta ?

Thank you for any advice,
Alan
I've never arrived on an international flight to HNL, but I can tell you that if you're on Hawaiian Airlines, they won't charge you anything if you're late because your flight into HNL is late. Just go directly to the gate and explain. I have never had a problem - even with a ticket booked directly with HA (as opposed to a code share).
Old Jun 17, 2011, 2:22 am

Programs: Delta
At Delta.com, you can book a flight from NRT to LIH, which puts you on a connecting Hawaiian air flight. I'm sure that if the NRT flight was late, you would have no problem getting on a later flight in that situation. I think that it's also cheaper to book all the way to an outer island on Delta, rather than buying separate tickets.

I've been through HNL customs and immigration several times from Japan. If you have an American passport, your line at immigration will be much shorter (go to the right at immigration). If you have Japanese nationals as family members flying with you, they can go through the American passport line with you. I've found HNL to be very efficient as compared to other places. For example, more than once it has taken me less than 90 minutes from touchdown to Waikiki. Two hours should be fine to make your connecting flight.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 4:31 pm

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by nishimark
At Delta.com, you can book a flight from NRT to LIH, which puts you on a connecting Hawaiian air flight. I'm sure that if the NRT flight was late, you would have no problem getting on a later flight in that situation. I think that it's also cheaper to book all the way to an outer island on Delta, rather than buying separate tickets.
Sometimes it's cheaper to book through to the outer island, sometimes it isn't. If you do and arrive late, I know AA will rebook you on a later HA flight. Not sure about Delta.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 12:52 pm

Connecting from CO to GoMokulele (Mesa)

Good Afternoon,

I will be flying from Newark on CO to Honolulu, then transferring to GoMokulele with a 1.5 hour layover to Kona. My question is will my bags be checked all the way to Kona or will i have to collect my bags at HNL then recheck? I've called CO, Go, and HNL airport, all have different answers.

Has anyone had this experience?

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.