Print Wikipost

Guide to and Questions Concerning Connecting thru HNL & other Hawai`i airports

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2011, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Wirelessly posted (iPhone-ETOPS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Originally Posted by JenGal
I have read alot of this thread (great information ^) and tried a search re: my question. I found another post asking about the same, but didn't see an answer. I apologize if it's out there ... anyway:

Two of us will be doing a HNL-OGG-HNL trip on HA separate from our IAD(via LAX)-HNL-IAD itinerary on UA. We do the OGG-HNL on the day of our HNL-IAD flight. So, I understand that we should be able to interline our bags all the way to IAD. We will each have 1 checked bag, so we will each pay $10 to HA.

My question is this: I would not have to pay a UA checked bag fee, but my friend would as she is GM. For UA I can just check them both under my name for no cost, but if I do that with HA, the second bag is $17 instead of $10 that friend would pay if it was her first bag.

$7 is no big deal, but it made me think ... how do airlines that interline bags for flights on separate airlines and pnr's, charge for baggage fees on the other airlines? Seems UA would want to get its bag fee for HNL-IAD even if checked all the way in from OGG.
The first accepting carrier charges the bag fees. The receiving carrier (UAL) misses out.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 1:48 pm

Programs: No Longer Anything
Originally Posted by slippahs
Wirelessly posted (iPhone-ETOPS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

The first accepting carrier charges the bag fees. The receiving carrier (UAL) misses out.
Well, whatdoya know! Sounds good to me. thanks for the quick reply.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 10:45 am

Island Air short connection to UA

The guidance to my concern may be buried somewhere in the 33 pages of the Hawaii thread, but I can't seem to find a direct answer. So real quick...

I'm flying...
Lanai-HNL-ORD on a Saturday. (Island Air to United)

LNY-HNL: Lv: 3.35p, Ar: 4.05p
HNL-ORD: Lv: 5.07p

So I have a 62min layover to get from the (Island Air) Commuter terminal to the Main terminal (UA). I've learned that if I check bags all the way thru this may be possible if I stay in the "secure" area, but this being a Saturday and not really knowing the lay of the land in HNL, I'm worried this may be too tight of a connection.

Any guidance or comments here would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old Jan 27, 2011, 12:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by pjj025
The guidance to my concern may be buried somewhere in the 33 pages of the Hawaii thread, but I can't seem to find a direct answer. So real quick...

I'm flying...
Lanai-HNL-ORD on a Saturday. (Island Air to United)

LNY-HNL: Lv: 3.35p, Ar: 4.05p
HNL-ORD: Lv: 5.07p

So I have a 62min layover to get from the (Island Air) Commuter terminal to the Main terminal (UA). I've learned that if I check bags all the way thru this may be possible if I stay in the "secure" area, but this being a Saturday and not really knowing the lay of the land in HNL, I'm worried this may be too tight of a connection.

Any guidance or comments here would be appreciated. Thanks!
I've done it in 20 minutes. As long as you have your boarding pass and bags are checked through. Can't speak about the bags. I never check any.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 10:11 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Delta SkyMiles, Fairmont President's Club ,Marriott Rewards,
Originally Posted by pjj025

So I have a 62min layover to get from the (Island Air) Commuter terminal

Any guidance or comments here would be appreciated.
Yeah, I think you need more time.....especially on the return. Island Air flies out of the commuter terminal (Distant)...and the United gates are on the far side of the HNL terminal from the Commuter terminal.
Bear in mind they will be boarding your Mainland flight roughly 40 mins prior to departure.... There will be a good chance that your seats will be awarded to standbys that are actually at the gate at that time.
Forget about the bags making it.(At least do an on-line check-in ...if you choose to do this connection)
If this was on the Inbound...different story....there is another Inter-Island flight every hour..... Not so...returning to the Mainland.
What is the cost of the change fee?
Hawaiian Airlines is No#1 for Safety, Comfort & On-time Performance.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 4:38 pm

Hi,

I'm new to the forum, and was wondering about the following: I might get a flight that has a 5 hour stopover in Honolulu. Can I get off the airport at all during that time, or is that not allowed? Thanks,

Wazoo
Old Feb 17, 2011, 12:52 am

Programs: UA platinum, HA platinum, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, Priority Club, SPG
Originally Posted by Wazoo
Hi,

I'm new to the forum, and was wondering about the following: I might get a flight that has a 5 hour stopover in Honolulu. Can I get off the airport at all during that time, or is that not allowed? Thanks,

Wazoo
Think you are asking if you can leave the airport--if so, yes, you'll just need to clear security when you return. The airport is in a light industry area so not a good place to walk around, but The Bus stops at the airport or you could take a taxi or rent a car.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 11:10 am

We have a day in HNL and then on to Kona. I assume same liquid restrictions on inter island flights as others? Unless we want to pay to check bags we are out of luck when buying full size sunscreen etc. in HNL?
Old Feb 21, 2011, 7:17 pm

Programs: UA platinum, HA platinum, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, Priority Club, SPG
Originally Posted by noname
We have a day in HNL and then on to Kona. I assume same liquid restrictions on inter island flights as others? Unless we want to pay to check bags we are out of luck when buying full size sunscreen etc. in HNL?
Yes, same requirements. TSA at HNL is not as strict as neighbor islands, but the full size sunscreen will not go through as a carry on. Sunscreen and lotions usually make up the bulk of what TSA confiscates. Think you would be okay if you put the sunscreen into the snack-size Ziploc bags.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 8:37 pm

Programs: BA Blue, UA Member, Marriott Rewards Gold, HHonors Blue, AVIS Preferred, Hertz #1 Club Gold
Connections in Honolulu

Hi,

I live in Argentina and booked with UA miles a flight from EZE to HNL via IAD and LAX. The flight arrives in HNL at 15:44. Then I needed to go to Maui that day and started to search intra-island flights and decided to fly with HA. As I live in Argentina I can't book through HA's web site so I asked a friend to book it with his credit card that live in the USA. The flight that I had chosen was leaving HNL to OGG at 18:09 the same day that I arrived from EZE-IAD-LAX. But that flight was not available and my friend w/o notice booked a flight departing at 17:38.

I want to know if I will have enough time to claim baggage from the international flight, check-in, drop baggage off and embark for the hawaiian flight or will I have to pay the USD 30 fee for changing the flight (USD 30 x 4 as we are 4 people)? If I change it for the one that leaves at 20:16 that be enough???

One more question: will I be able to check my bags through to my final destination from EZE as UA an HA have codeshare?

Last edited by fgadler; Mar 21, 2011 at 8:50 pm
Old Mar 21, 2011, 10:47 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
If you're within 24 hrs of the HA booking, I would have your friend call back, cancel and start over to avoid the change fee.

You will be probably be unable to check your bags through because the HA segments will be on separate tickets.

Upon arrival in IAD, you'll need to clear US customs/immigration - make sure you have LOTS of time built into this connection (like 3-4 hours), and even more time built into the LAX connection just in case.

Upon arrival in HNL, you will be claiming your bags at domestic baggage claim (all flights from IAD onwards are domestic for you, not international), taking the outdoor Wiki-wiki Shuttle to the inter-island terminal, then re-checking in with HA.

I would build in enough time for the last possible HA connection to OGG. Just curious - why didn't you book UA from EZE-IAD-LAX-OGG?
Old Mar 22, 2011, 12:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by bocastephen
If you're within 24 hrs of the HA booking, I would have your friend call back, cancel and start over to avoid the change fee.

You will be probably be unable to check your bags through because the HA segments will be on separate tickets.

Upon arrival in IAD, you'll need to clear US customs/immigration - make sure you have LOTS of time built into this connection (like 3-4 hours), and even more time built into the LAX connection just in case.

Upon arrival in HNL, you will be claiming your bags at domestic baggage claim (all flights from IAD onwards are domestic for you, not international), taking the outdoor Wiki-wiki Shuttle to the inter-island terminal, then re-checking in with HA.

I would build in enough time for the last possible HA connection to OGG. Just curious - why didn't you book UA from EZE-IAD-LAX-OGG?
First off, I don't think Hawaiian has a 24 hour refund period. Hawaiian has a 48 hour hold policy for transpacific flights (only via the call center), but unless I'm missing something, HA didn't ever implement the 24 hour book and refund policy that many majors have.

Second, why would someone on two separate tickets not be able to check bags all the way through? Shouldn't UA's interline agreement with HA allow the bags through? That's if the check-in agent at EZE knows how to do this, and I'd imagine she would.

This allows the OP to skip baggage claim in HNL and proceed directly to the interisland gate. A nearly two hour connection should be good enough, if that is indeed the case.

Last edited by slippahs; Mar 22, 2011 at 12:59 am
Old Mar 22, 2011, 12:40 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
First off, I don't think Hawaiian has a 24 hour refund period. Hawaiian has a 48 hour hold policy for transpacific flights (only via the call center), but unless I'm missing something, HA didn't ever implement the 24 hour book and refund policy that many majors have.
I'm fairly certain they have a 24h policy. I've called them on it before when I needed to make change, but since I was past the 24hr, they told me I was out of luck and mentioned the limit - so I believe there is a grace period for changes at HA.

Second, why would someone on two separate tickets not be able to check bags all the way through? Shouldn't UA's interline agreement with HA allow the bags through? That's if the check-in agent at EZE knows how to do this, and I'd imagine she would.

This allows the OP to skip baggage claim in HNL and proceed directly to the interisland gate. A nearly two hour connection should be good enough, if that is indeed the case.
I thought you could only check bags through on a single ticket - not if your ticket is split and covers different airlines. I could understand a single ticket that includes segments on UA and HA, but two different tickets?

I guess the OP can try this at EZE, and if rejected, try again at IAD when they re-check their bags after Customs - but I still think they should plan for the longest possible connection time (especially at IAD). If they can check-through, perhaps they can try standing by for an early OGG flight.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 12:54 pm

Programs: BA Blue, UA Member, Marriott Rewards Gold, HHonors Blue, AVIS Preferred, Hertz #1 Club Gold
The complete itinerary is as follows: EZE-IAD-LAX-HNL-OGG (stop)-HNL (stop)-LAX (stop)-IAD-EZE.

The trip is on July so I've plenty of time to make any change.

Sorry, but what I didn't understand is in which HNL's terminal will my UA LAX-HNL flight arrive and form which termianl will I depart from for my HA HNL-OGG flight

1)If I can check my bags all the way through to OGG, is 1 hour, 54 minutes connection time enough to make for the HA flight?

2) If I can't check my bags to OGG, how much do I need to make the connection (claim bags, check-in, etc)?
Old Mar 22, 2011, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Wirelessly posted (iPhone-ETOPS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Originally Posted by bocastephen
I'm fairly certain they have a 24h policy. I've called them on it before when I needed to make change, but since I was past the 24hr, they told me I was out of luck and mentioned the limit - so I believe there is a grace period for changes at HA.

I thought you could only check bags through on a single ticket - not if your ticket is split and covers different airlines. I could understand a single ticket that includes segments on UA and HA, but two different tickets?

I guess the OP can try this at EZE, and if rejected, try again at IAD when they re-check their bags after Customs - but I still think they should plan for the longest possible connection time (especially at IAD). If they can check-through, perhaps they can try standing by for an early OGG flight.
Please point to something that says it's a written policy. I'm all ears as it'd be the first I've heard of it.

As for interlining bags, yes it does not matter that there are two separate tickets. It only matters that the two airlines have an interlining agreement in place at the connecting airport. HA and UA have such an agreement at HNL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.