Old Mar 12, 2013, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: slippahs
Print Wikipost

Guide to and Questions Concerning Connecting thru HNL & other Hawai`i airports

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2011, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by donnyb
HA will interline checked bags with a 75 min CNX. I have done it many times. If they were coming TO HNL on AA they could have trouble getting AA to interline with a CNX less than 90 mins.
What does CNX stand for?

We WILL be interlining our bags, but I don't care if I don't get them for a day or two later, since it will be our return trip home.

I do not have status on HA or AA, however I booked these with British Airways miles obtained through the Chase deal and we are first class on my AA HNL to LAX flight. I doubt if this matters to the guys checking bags, but I'm sure it can't hurt me.

Thanks for the responses.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 2:33 pm

Programs: AK, DL,UA
CNX is connection

Your interisland flight will incur interisland bag fees only, not mainland bag fees.

http://help.hawaiianair.com/app/answ...tail/a_id/1922
Old Oct 4, 2011, 11:31 am

Programs: AA EXP 3.13 MM, IC Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
Connection Questions in HNL

Aloha and looking forward to our December vacation...just wondering if you could share your input on the following:

1) AA 73 (arriving from ORD at 4:35 pm) to HA 308 (leaving for KOA at 6:52 pm):

Was planning on visiting the Admirals Club upon arrival but when should we head over to the inter-island terminal to check-in for the Hawaiian Air leg?
Also, how long would the walk take?

2) Inter-island Flights through HNL (KOA-HNL-LIH and back):
How many minutes should I allow us (family of 3) for a safe connection in HNL (no misplaced bags)? Looks like a 47 minute connection would be on the safe side for us (even though there are 36 minute connections available).

Thank you!!
Old Oct 4, 2011, 2:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by Platinum Cub
Aloha and looking forward to our December vacation...just wondering if you could share your input on the following:

1) AA 73 (arriving from ORD at 4:35 pm) to HA 308 (leaving for KOA at 6:52 pm):

Was planning on visiting the Admirals Club upon arrival but when should we head over to the inter-island terminal to check-in for the Hawaiian Air leg?
Also, how long would the walk take?

2) Inter-island Flights through HNL (KOA-HNL-LIH and back):
How many minutes should I allow us (family of 3) for a safe connection in HNL (no misplaced bags)? Looks like a 47 minute connection would be on the safe side for us (even though there are 36 minute connections available).

Thank you!!
1) The Admirals/Qantas Club is not near the AA gates. As a matter of fact, it's about halfway between the AA gates (with a bit of a detour) and the inter-island terminal. From the Admirals Club to the Hawaiian gates is probably about a brisk 10 minute walk. If you have checked in and have your HA boarding pass, getting to the gate 20 minutes before the flight will be plenty of time, as that's when they begin the boarding process (despite what they'll tell you).

2) All the Hawaiian inter island gates are right next to each other. Connection time will not be an issue unless your incoming flight is late, but there are so many each day, you shouldn't have a problem unless you are flying at the end of the day. The longer connection time is probably better if you're checking bags. If you're going from KOA to LIH and back, depending upon how long you're going, you may wish to leave some things in KOA and not check bags to LIH. May I ask why you didn't plan it so you would do LIH at the end of the trip so you could just return to HNL for your flight home, rather than going back to KOA and then HNL again?

Last edited by ILuvParis; Oct 4, 2011 at 3:00 pm
Old Oct 6, 2011, 11:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.13 MM, IC Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
May I ask why you didn't plan it so you would do LIH at the end of the trip so you could just return to HNL for your flight home, rather than going back to KOA and then HNL again?
Thank you for the input and advice ILuvParis!

Actually, we took advantage of a Hawaii fare sale on AA a couple of months back and were originally scheduled for staying on the Big Island. But, things fell through with our timeshare for the December dates and had to readjust to staying on Kauai. (What a dilemma!

Instead of paying the fare difference (+$375 pp) applicable for ORD-LAX-LIH, it was more cost effective for inter-island flights and one of the tickets was paid with miles.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
From post #8 - is this still correct? Can UA elites access HA lounges

Originally Posted by slippahs
[COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=3][b][U]Hawaiian Air: Premier Club/Pualani Plus - Located in the passenger
departure lounge on the first floor in the northwest corner[/list]Access to Hawaiian Airlines lounges are only available to Hawaiian's elite members. No other elites for partner airlines, with the exception of United elites, unless traveling on a first class tickets on Hawaiian Airlines, are allowed access to these lounges.
I cannot find any reference to UA elites on the Hawaiian website page that discusses lounges. And the flyerguide wiki says access is limited to HA elites (or can be purchased for $249/yr):

Access to Hawaiian Airlines lounges are only available to Hawaiian Pualani and Premier Club Members. Unless you are an elite that qualifies for lounge access OR are traveling on a first class ticket on Hawaiian, you will not be able to access this lounge (meaning: DL/CO/AA/UA elites do not receive lounge access).

http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index...Based_Airlines
Old Oct 11, 2011, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by Boraxo
From post #8 - is this still correct? Can UA elites access HA lounges

I cannot find any reference to UA elites on the Hawaiian website page that discusses lounges. And the flyerguide wiki says access is limited to HA elites (or can be purchased for $249/yr):

Access to Hawaiian Airlines lounges are only available to Hawaiian Pualani and Premier Club Members. Unless you are an elite that qualifies for lounge access OR are traveling on a first class ticket on Hawaiian, you will not be able to access this lounge (meaning: DL/CO/AA/UA elites do not receive lounge access).

http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index...Based_Airlines
Nope, that information is certainly outdated and I'll fix it when I have a bit more free time. Thanks for pointing it out
Old Nov 4, 2011, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
connecting at HNL

I´ll be flying Hawaiian Airlines OGG-HNL connecting to HNL-YVR on Air Canada on two separte tickets. I´m planning to do a 90min connection. Is that plenty of time if I don´t have any checked bags (i.e. no need to go to AC check-in)?

Thanks a lot in advance!
Old Nov 8, 2011, 9:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
I´ll be flying Hawaiian Airlines OGG-HNL connecting to HNL-YVR on Air Canada on two separte tickets. I´m planning to do a 90min connection. Is that plenty of time if I don´t have any checked bags (i.e. no need to go to AC check-in)?

Thanks a lot in advance!
It's plenty of time. I've done it in less than half that time. But you need to have a boarding pass and the HA flight needs to be on time.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 8:13 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Delta SkyMiles, Fairmont President's Club ,Marriott Rewards,
interline agreement

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
I´ll be flying Hawaiian Airlines OGG-HNL connecting to HNL-YVR on Air Canada on two separte tickets. I´m planning to do a 90min connection. Is that plenty of time if I don´t have any checked bags (i.e. no need to go to AC check-in
90 mins is fine. I wouldn't book much less....you want a bit of a cushion.
If you do decide to check a bag or two....you can certainly do so and they would be checked through to your home destination from OGG. No need to fetch them at HNL...even though you have separate itineraries. HA & AC have an Interline agreement in place that will take care of it. Simply show both itineraries to the Ticket agent at OGG for baggage tags to YVR.This option is always there for you if you decide to take it.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 11:03 pm

Koa hnl sfo yyc

Hi. We have a 7:45 AM Continental flight out of HNL to SFO and then on to Calgary. We have added a trip to the Big Island, and will need to return to HNL for the trip home. The first Hawaiian Air flight out of KOA arrives at HNL at 6:55 AM. Would it be possible to make this connection, and is it likely that our bags would make the connection too? Or would an overnight in HNL be our best bet? Thanks!
Old Nov 23, 2011, 12:18 am

Programs: AK, DL,UA
Originally Posted by truthserum
Hi. We have a 7:45 AM Continental flight out of HNL to SFO and then on to Calgary. We have added a trip to the Big Island, and will need to return to HNL for the trip home. The first Hawaiian Air flight out of KOA arrives at HNL at 6:55 AM. Would it be possible to make this connection, and is it likely that our bags would make the connection too? Or would an overnight in HNL be our best bet? Thanks!
Honestly, you are cutting it close. HA will interline your bags with a 50 minute connect, but you would not be protected if you miss the connection since they are separate bookings. I would either change your flights for a fee or pay for a hotel in HNL and arrive in HNL the evening before. Or you can take your chances. Do you feel lucky? It will be a brisk walk to the CO gate and they will already be boarding.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 1:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by donnyb
Honestly, you are cutting it close. HA will interline your bags with a 50 minute connect, but you would not be protected if you miss the connection since they are separate bookings. I would either change your flights for a fee or pay for a hotel in HNL and arrive in HNL the evening before. Or you can take your chances. Do you feel lucky? It will be a brisk walk to the CO gate and they will already be boarding.
I agree, but also add that HA is usually on-time, especially on its morning departures, and barring any kind of mechanical, you can count on the 50 minutes probably being 40-50 minutes and not 10-20. But yes, the separate tickets issue should be a big concern.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 7:48 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
I would definitely get a hotel at HNL then night before. But my tolerance for that kind of stress is low.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 10:01 am

Thank you all for the feedback.

The Continental flight out of HNL is a business class award booking, and there were no other available flights within a week, so rescheduling isn't an option.

How long would the walk take from Hawaiian to the Continental gate?
My itinerary lists a 20 minute boarding gate deadline -- are they likely to shut the door 20 minutes prior to departure? If so this is probably a little tight, even if I was feeling lucky.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.