Old Mar 12, 2013, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: slippahs
Print Wikipost

Guide to and Questions Concerning Connecting thru HNL & other Hawai`i airports

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2013, 8:50 am

Programs: AA ExecP
I've read most of the old Go! vs Island Air threads, but I haven't heard a whole lot post the Ellison acquisition.

Since moving to all ATR72s, has the on-time performance increased?

Specifically, I'm looking at a HNL-LIH departure. Fares between Island and Go! are nearly the same, with only a 15 minute difference in departure time. Any advantage of one over the island, other than more daily Go! departures.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 10:33 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by flying_q
I've read most of the old Go! vs Island Air threads, but I haven't heard a whole lot post the Ellison acquisition.

Since moving to all ATR72s, has the on-time performance increased?

Specifically, I'm looking at a HNL-LIH departure. Fares between Island and Go! are nearly the same, with only a 15 minute difference in departure time. Any advantage of one over the island, other than more daily Go! departures.
Your choice is really simple: Fly HA. Better on-time performance. More carry-on space. More reliable. More flight options.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 10:44 am

Programs: AA ExecP
Originally Posted by 747FC
Your choice is really simple: Fly HA. Better on-time performance. More carry-on space. More reliable. More flight options.
While I agree the choice is simple, a $140 fare difference and lack of award availability makes my choice even simpler - fly Island or Go!
Old Dec 24, 2013, 9:43 am

Programs: AS MVPG, UA, HA, DL
With connections less than a hour HA does not assure inter-airline baggage transfer.
Old Dec 25, 2013, 8:58 pm

Programs: UA GS; Former Alaska MVPG75/DL Diamond/NW Platinum/BA Gold
It's pretty much impossible, even without luggage. The walk between terminals is about 15 minutes at a brisk pace. Your flight would have to be early to make it work. There is basically zero chance the interisland flight will be delayed.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 12:20 pm

Programs: AS, SPG
Yeah 30 mins is cutting it REAL close.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 2:35 am

Programs: AS 75k Gold, Hertz 5 Star, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by beatxiaopi
Dear all:

First time flying Alaskair into HNL. I wonder how long does it take to get to hawaiian airline inter-island terminal since the flight I'm interested is only 30 mins after my landing. I took a look at the HNL airport map and saw there is AGRICULTURE INSPECTION? I wonder what is the chance to catch the flight.
BTW, I'm travelling in FC if that helps a bit to get out of plane faster.
http://hawaii.gov/hnl/terminal-infor...ry2ndFloor.pdf

beatxiaopi

I've flown Alaska to HNL many times and usually the flight does get in a little early but it's only by a few minutes. By the time you've deplaned, your Hawaiian Air flight will already be boarding. And as another post said, it'll take you about 15 min to walk there. Hawaiian has hourly flights, why not wait for the next one and relax, you're in Hawaii!!
Old Dec 27, 2013, 3:02 am

Programs: AS MVP,Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Gold, Starbucks Gold card
Legal connection time in HNL is 90mins. If you have separate tickets, and AS is late, you will be on your own. Been there done that! I agree with other posts, give yourself at least one hour. Not to mention, your departure airport might give you a hard time to check it thru.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by oneLnot2
Legal connection time in HNL is 90mins. If you have separate tickets, and AS is late, you will be on your own. Been there done that! I agree with other posts, give yourself at least one hour. Not to mention, your departure airport might give you a hard time to check it thru.
I would say 2 hours minimum...3 hours to be sure.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 2:56 pm

Programs: AS 75k Gold, Hertz 5 Star, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Silver
I'm not sure if Alaska partners with Hawaiian for connections in Hawaii. Every time I've gone, I have booked the flights separately and usually stay in HNL for a few days first before flying out to the Big Island or Maui. So I'm not sure how the luggage xfer would work if you booked your own through each respective airline and had to connect. Does anyone know if Alaska will put your luggage through to your final destination even if you booked Hawaiian separately?

Alaska is not the speediest when it comes to retrieving your luggage in HNL. But if it is auto-xferred, then I'd say 1 hr is more than enough to get to the Hawaiian Air terminal and gates.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 11:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by foredogg
Does anyone know if Alaska will put your luggage through to your final destination even if you booked Hawaiian separately?
AS used to partner with HA... but that agreement went south when AS started to invade Hawaii. They may interline to AS...however I'm not sure HA will interline to AS:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawai...-6-1-12-a.html

Also check out this AS thread for more:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...greements.html
Originally Posted by foredogg
Alaska is not the speediest when it comes to retrieving your luggage in HNL. But if it is auto-xferred, then I'd say 1 hr is more than enough to get to the Hawaiian Air terminal and gates.
I'd say on average AS does the best with this overall. Granted HA doesn't fit as many on a 717 but overall AS does a solid job systemwide- if bags don't make it out in 20 minutes you get a voucher for either 2500 miles or $25 off a flight. It's been over a year since I was able to collect in Hawaii myself.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Since this isn't specific to AS, it's more on-topic in the Destination: Hawaii forum. Let's try it there so the OP can get the best answers to his/her questions.

jackal
Moderator, Alaska Airlines
Old Dec 30, 2013, 2:43 pm

I'm flying Delta from the mainland to/from HNL, but I really need to get to LIH. Flight arrives HNL at 4:03pm. Hawaiian Air and Island Air each have flights from HNL-LIH at 5:26/5:27pm. Is this enough time to make the connection? I will be purchasing a separate ticket. Will Delta be able to check my bags all the way through to LIH, or will I have to retrieve them at HNL and recheck them? Is there any difference betwee Island Air/Hawaiian Air in this regard? I'm in First class on the Delta flight which entitles me to free checked luggage, but I'll be in coach on the inter-island flight, how does the fee work?
Old Jan 2, 2014, 7:58 am

Programs: moka Lifetime
Originally Posted by TJtv
I'm flying Delta from the mainland to/from HNL, but I really need to get to LIH. Flight arrives HNL at 4:03pm. Hawaiian Air and Island Air each have flights from HNL-LIH at 5:26/5:27pm. Is this enough time to make the connection? I will be purchasing a separate ticket. Will Delta be able to check my bags all the way through to LIH, or will I have to retrieve them at HNL and recheck them? Is there any difference betwee Island Air/Hawaiian Air in this regard? I'm in First class on the Delta flight which entitles me to free checked luggage, but I'll be in coach on the inter-island flight, how does the fee work?
Pretty much the same question as above except I will be traveling with my wife and 2 kids. Would an hr and 10 min be possible?

To TJtv I've tweeted @ Delta and they said the have an agreement with HA but it would be up to agents at check I'm if they check it through when you have 2 separate tickets. I'd bank on the side of caution and give time should they decide they won't check it through. If they do then fees would be free. If you have to recheck though then you'd have to pay upon rechecking at HNL.

If anyone can answer me regarding connection times assuming I need to recheck please do so. TIA
Old Jan 2, 2014, 9:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by moka
Pretty much the same question as above except I will be traveling with my wife and 2 kids. Would an hr and 10 min be possible?

To TJtv I've tweeted @ Delta and they said the have an agreement with HA but it would be up to agents at check I'm if they check it through when you have 2 separate tickets. I'd bank on the side of caution and give time should they decide they won't check it through. If they do then fees would be free. If you have to recheck though then you'd have to pay upon rechecking at HNL.

If anyone can answer me regarding connection times assuming I need to recheck please do so. TIA
I think 1:10 is cutting it short if you have to recheck, but I can't imagine they won't check you all the way through on Delta.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.