Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Which/how many Island(s) Should I Visit? What Order? How Long?" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Which/how many Island(s) Should I Visit? What Order? How Long?" thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2013, 4:36 am

Programs: BA, DL, HA, etc
Originally Posted by travelovingnurse
I have never been to Lanai, so I cannot comment on that, but I did not love the Big Island. It is SO different from the other islands in my opinion. We stayed in Waikoloa area. It is interesting to see, but 3 days was plenty long enough for me there and I don't have any desire to return. Maui and Kauai on the other hand I keep going back to and never tire of visiting. Wouldn't they love to see the Napali Coast and Waimea Canyon and Mt. Haleakala and the road to Hana? I would definitely vote for Kauai and Maui over the Big Island any day, but that is only my opinion.
I once sat next to a girl who had come to the Big Island for a wedding. She said the island was just "OK". Turns out she never left the resort!

Granted, Waikoloa is on lavarock, but come on, two giant volcano mountains, the US's largest family-owned ranch, the rain forest, the desert, the plains... they did not impress?
Old Aug 28, 2013, 12:10 am

Programs: UA1K
I lived on O'ahu for close to five years. Some out of the way but worthy places on O'ahu include hiking Koko Crater (you should be in really good condition) which affords a spectacular view of Moloka'i, Maui, and Lana'i on clear mornings. The shave ice shop on School Street and Frogg St in Liliha neighborhood, Liliha Bakery on Liliha and Kuakini for the famous coco puff cream puffs and chantilly cake. O'ahu has much to offer, so figure 4 or more full days to catch many of the usual tourist venues.

I spent some work and vacation time at the Four Seasons resorts: Koele Lodge and Manele Bay. Nice resorts if you really want to relax. Otherwise, Lana'i is a quiet island that is really good for those who enjoy outdoor sports and recreation, such as golf, horseback riding, hiking, four wheeling tours, etc. It's also expensive to stay at the FS resorts unless you stay at the local B&B in Lana'i City, which is much more reasonable.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 1:42 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by rodjune
I lived on O'ahu for close to five years. Some out of the way but worthy places on O'ahu include hiking Koko Crater (you should be in really good condition) which affords a spectacular view of Moloka'i, Maui, and Lana'i on clear mornings. The shave ice shop on School Street and Frogg St in Liliha neighborhood, Liliha Bakery on Liliha and Kuakini for the famous coco puff cream puffs and chantilly cake. O'ahu has much to offer, so figure 4 or more full days to catch many of the usual tourist venues.

I spent some work and vacation time at the Four Seasons resorts: Koele Lodge and Manele Bay. Nice resorts if you really want to relax. Otherwise, Lana'i is a quiet island that is really good for those who enjoy outdoor sports and recreation, such as golf, horseback riding, hiking, four wheeling tours, etc. It's also expensive to stay at the FS resorts unless you stay at the local B&B in Lana'i City, which is much more reasonable.
I heard most of the island was recently sold, and the FS resorts as well as amenities, and neighboring amenities are being renovated and updated. I've never had the pleasure of visiting Lanai, but with the recent investment going into the island, Lanai will become a more desired destination.

I had reservations booked at Manele Bay last year through a Virtuoso agent, but just couldn't make 8 nights work in Lanai with our itinerary.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 6:09 pm

16 Nights: Two or Three Islands

We are planning our first-ever trip to Hawaii for our 25th wedding anniversary. Our general interests are the natural sights, scuba, riding bikes, resort time, and long walks on the beach. We have decided on Maui for sure but are torn between Kauai and the Big Island. As it stands now, we are considering two versus three islands.

Option 1 (Two Islands in 14 nights):
Maui = 7 nights (5 on west coast, 2 in Hana)
Island #2 = 7 nights

Option 2 (Three islands in 16 nights):
Maui = 6 or 7 nights (5 on west coast, 1 or 2 in Hana)
Kauai = 3 or 4 nights (South at Grand Hyatt)
Big Island = 6 nights (Hilton Waikaloa)

Thanks in advance for any feedback you can provide.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 10:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by bwelliott
We are planning our first-ever trip to Hawaii for our 25th wedding anniversary. Our general interests are the natural sights, scuba, riding bikes, resort time, and long walks on the beach. We have decided on Maui for sure but are torn between Kauai and the Big Island. As it stands now, we are considering two versus three islands.

Option 1 (Two Islands in 14 nights):
Maui = 7 nights (5 on west coast, 2 in Hana)
Island #2 = 7 nights

Option 2 (Three islands in 16 nights):
Maui = 6 or 7 nights (5 on west coast, 1 or 2 in Hana)
Kauai = 3 or 4 nights (South at Grand Hyatt)
Big Island = 6 nights (Hilton Waikaloa)

Thanks in advance for any feedback you can provide.
Going through island hopping combinations recently and visiting 4 Hawaiian Islands, Option 2 will likely be a connection flight between Kauai and Big Island. I couldn't find a direct flight.. there was a stopover, but will still land on Oahu if using Hawaiian and Go! IIRC. I flew direct from Big Island to Maui, but paid $126 per ticket on Hawaiian, while my flight from Maui to Oahu on Go was $69 per ticket. My gut feeling to reduce cost on island hopping flights is to go LIH first, OGG second and KOA third, if you can fly directly from LIH to OGG.

I've never checked the flights between LIH and OGG. Flying to Oahu on any island will be cheaper, flying between islands not involving HNL is going to be a little more expensive.

As for the islands themselves.. Big Island is the most adventurous with lots to explore.. you've got the Volcano, Mauna Kea observatory, Kohala coast (desert conditions and 8" of rain) and its cuisine offerings, Hilo and Coconut Island, the most eco diverse island. For a vacation, Maui is best, although Ko'olina on Oahu is even more quiet and on the dry side. Oahu is interesting with Pearl Harbour, Waikiki, Hanauma Bay and the Hawaiian Cultural Centre. Kauai, if you can visit in the summer it'll be beautiful, although I've heard Winter can bring a lot of rain.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 11:09 am

Deciding Which Islands to Hit & Duration

My wife and I want to do a week long (probably 8 days) Hawaii trip this Sept/Oct. We can't make the trip any longer than 8 days because 1 work week is the most we can get off work. The flights and Hilton hotels would all be paid for with points.

I'm thinking of doing 2 nights in Honolulu (at the Hilton Hawaiian Village), 3 nights on the Big Island at the Hilton Wikoloa Village, and 3 nights on Maui at the Grand Wailea.

Alternatively I could just do 4 nights on the Big Island and 4 nights on Maui. Honolulu is the least important to us because we'd prefer to spend our time in natural scenery compared to urban stuff, but I still wouldn't mind seeing it for a day or two.

Thoughts?
Old Mar 12, 2014, 12:22 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
If you only have 8 days, I definitely would limit to two islands... probably Maui and the Big Island.

The Big Island Hilton is an amazing place... actually built with keeping you on-site... you do not have to leave. BUT DO! Do know, that many of the "things to do" on the Big Island are on the eastern side of the island... so you will have major daily commutes from HHV.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 2:23 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat
I agree that three islands is too many for one week. Personally I would probably just do just one, particularly if you choose the Big Island, but certainly two would be manageable. Keep in mind that even though the interisland flight themselves are short you still have to go through the normal airport hassles. Each move will cost you at least a half day.

Do you have status at Hilton? If so you can take advantage of the 5th night free when using points. Another reason to maybe limit it to 1 or 2 islands.

I've had point stays at both the Grand Wailea and Hilton Waikoloa. While not perfect I thought the GW was vastly superior to HWV. Of course it takes significantly more points.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by wharvey
If you only have 8 days, I definitely would limit to two islands... probably Maui and the Big Island.

The Big Island Hilton is an amazing place... actually built with keeping you on-site... you do not have to leave. BUT DO! Do know, that many of the "things to do" on the Big Island are on the eastern side of the island... so you will have major daily commutes from HHV.
Originally Posted by vtgambler
I agree that three islands is too many for one week. Personally I would probably just do just one, particularly if you choose the Big Island, but certainly two would be manageable. Keep in mind that even though the interisland flight themselves are short you still have to go through the normal airport hassles. Each move will cost you at least a half day.

Do you have status at Hilton? If so you can take advantage of the 5th night free when using points. Another reason to maybe limit it to 1 or 2 islands.

I've had point stays at both the Grand Wailea and Hilton Waikoloa. While not perfect I thought the GW was vastly superior to HWV. Of course it takes significantly more points.
Please don't take this response as me being stubborn, I'm just trying to make sure we're all looking at this the same way.

I understand the reasoning to keep it to 2 islands. The only reason I am considering adding Oahu is because on my way to Maui/Big Island I have to fly through Oahu anyway, so it wouldn't really be adding much of a journey to the overall trip. Here's the 2 scenarios:

Option A:
Flying LAX to HNL, then HNL to KOA
Stay on Big Island for 4 nights,
Then fly KOA to OGG
Stay on Maui for 4 nights,
Then fly OGG to HNL, then HNL to LAX

Option B:
Fly LAX to HNL,
Stay on Oahu for 2 nights
Then fly HNL to KOA
Stay on Big Island for 3 nights,
Then fly KOA to OGG
Stay on Maui for 3 nights
Then fly OGG to HNL, then HNL to LAX

In both scenarios I have 5 flight legs. I just put 2 overnight stays in the middle of the first 2 legs. The only added time should be the time to go to/from the HNL airport and go through security.

Do you still think it's not worth it? Keep in mind we've never been to Hawaii and will likely not be back anytime soon. So if we skip Oahu then we will miss that experience.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 7:17 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
What airline do you have points for? From lax, a hnl connection is far from absolutely mandatory...
Old Mar 12, 2014, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I've been to the islands six times now - two weeks at a time. Only once did we do three islands and I wouldn't do it again. And that was 12 days. Too much disruption on travel days, with worrying/planning for the next trip, it just impacts everything.

I'd pick two - at most - from Maui, Kauai, and the Big Island. Even 8 days on one island (I'd recommend Maui) isn't too much. I've spent 4 one-week stays on Maui and am just starting to run out of new things.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 9:09 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat
The question is how much time do you want to spend moving around vs. actually enjoying your trip? Doing three islands may not add any flight legs but you're certainly adding a lot of time by going back & forth to airport and everything that goes with it. Remember even though interisland flights are short you still have to check-out of your hotel, drive to the airport, return the rental car, deal with checkin/security, travel, get rental car, drive to new location, check-in .... As I said before it kills a full half day. Do you want to do that three times in 8 days. And split your stay on the Big Island on top of it??

On our first trip to Hawaii we did the exactly what you are proposing: Oahu-Maui-BI (both sides). Except we had 14 days and still thought it was a mistake afterwards. On all subsequent trips we have done no more than one island per week. I worry that in trying to see and do everything in one trip you'll end up not truly experiencing Hawaii at all!
Old Mar 14, 2014, 11:19 am

Programs: BA, DL, HA, etc
A recent report was that Honolulu had the second worst traffic of all cities in the U.S. I don't know that I agree, but 3 islands is too much for 7 or 8 days.

While I may be different from many, it only took 1 trip to realize I wanted to MOVE here, let alone visit a second time. I then spent 2 weeks a trip, 2 trips a year here for 7 years before finally moving.

With that said, I agree with the comment that just because you stop in Honolulu doesn't mean you have to stay there. I tell people that Honolulu itself is kinda like Ft. Lauderdale or Miami. Traffic and a beach. I tell people that 3 days on Oahu is plenty to see that another island might be a better choice. (As a side note, the most time I ever spent on Oahu was about 10 days and that was for open heart surgery and they would NOT let me leave in the middle).

The thought that you want to get a lot of Hawaii in, in a short time is really not that great an idea. Even 3 or 4 days on the Big Island is not enough as it takes a day to drive the island with no stops. You will spend a day at whatever resort, a drive up to Kohala is 1/2 to 3/4 days, a drive to the volcano is a day (and part of the night to see glowing), the South part of the island is day at least (coffee farm, chocolate farm), snorkeling in Kona or at 2-step another day.

I agree that if you want to see Oahu (the palace, Diamond Head, the north shore, the Arizona, etc), then 2 islands (Oahu and Maui or Oahu and Kauai). I personally would choose Kauai because of the valley and tropical feel, but that is because I love photographing things.

For sightseeing, if the Big Island is a choice, you need most of a week as it is the size of Connecticut and nothing is close.

Last edited by Lavarock7; Mar 14, 2014 at 11:33 am
Old Mar 14, 2014, 7:41 pm

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
If I were going to Hawaii for only 8 days, I would go to just one island. Hawaii is a place to be savored and enjoyed slowly and deeply. Hopping around and trying to see it all is a waste of time and definitely counter to the true experience of Hawaii. My shortest Hawaii trip was 2 1/2 weeks.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 3:20 pm

After giving it more thought and reading the replies I am considering some slight changes.

I have 265k HH points and 4 weekend certs so I'm looking at doing either...

1.) 6 total nights at Grand Wailea (3 weekend + 3 nights @ 70k points per night)
OR
2.) 3 weekend nights at Grand Wailea followed by 5 nights at Waikoloa Village (at 40k points per night with 5th night free). If I went with this option I might use up my extra points by springing for a room upgrade at the Waikoloa.

I know several people recommend staying at one place over moving around, I understand that and in an ideal situation that's what I'd do. I'm considering the second option still because it gives me a longer trip for my money and I would like to see the volcano at the big island, but I also really want to experience the grand Wailea for a few days at least.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.