Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Which/how many Island(s) Should I Visit? What Order? How Long?" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Which/how many Island(s) Should I Visit? What Order? How Long?" thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2012, 4:31 pm

6 nights on the Big Island

I originally had planned to stay:

3 nights Maui
3 nights Big Island
6 nights Honolulu

But various other forums are telling me to skip Maui and spend more time on the Big Island or do Maui but spend less nights in Honolulu.

ARGH! All too confusing.

I've never been to Maui or the Big Island. This will be my fourth time to Honolulu. I'm making that the last destination so we can shop and don't have to drag all our cases around to the other islands.

What would you suggest for a first time to the other islands?

Looking at renting a car on the BI. Not sure if one is needed on Maui (should we go).

Also, any recommendations on where to stay on the BI? I was looking at Sheraton Kona but a few people have said it's not as flash as it looks in photos and it's not near the ocean. Budget is $150ish a night.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 6:55 pm

Just some background to give you some context around my spiel first...
I've been to Hawaii four times: Oahu, Oahu/Maui, Kauai, and finally Big Island for a week this past September. We love exploring but we're city folk at heart. We're more go-go-go versus hanging out at the beach or pool for an extended time.

Personally, I wasn't sure if we could fill a week on the Big Island but seven days actually hit the spot for us. We did a lot of driving and some hiking to visit as much of the island as we could and just enjoy the scenery and diversity.
[I also like Maui and contemplated allocating a few days on this trip to visit Haleakala again but glad we didn't because we needed the time for BI.]

If you're the type that likes to visit various parts of the island, I'd recommend getting a car for both Maui and BI.

This probably lower spec but than what you are looking for but on BI, we Pricelined it and won the Royal Kona. I was a bit concerned as it had mixed reviews but we found it overall decent. Great location on one end of the commercial drag of Alii Dr (if that's where you want to be) and excellent spot for sunsets.

If you've been to Honolulu, I'm curious why you are allocating half your trip to it (even though I love cool shopping deal too). If your set on visiting all three, I'd probably break it down instead as:
Maui 3,
BI 6,
Honolulu 3

The standard reply to you will also be, "What are you looking for in your trip?"
Old Oct 4, 2012, 8:55 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
I would suggest more time on the Big Island...say 6-8 there...2-4 Maui, and then 2-3 in Hono.

You will be shopping at the other islands since they have different character.

Not sure your style but in Kona you can find places to stay rather cheap..around $100/night then splurge elsewhere.

What is it you want to do or like to do...that is really is the issue. Its hard to tell you where to stay without knowing more about you.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 10:53 pm

We've revised our itinerary and will now be doing only the Big Island and O'ahu, so:

3 nights Hilo
5 or 6 nights Kona
6 nights Honolulu

We're pretty much open to all suggestions on what to do etc.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by Jay71
I'm curious why you are allocating half your trip to it (even though I love cool shopping deal too). If your set on visiting all three, I'd probably break it down instead as:
Maui 3,
BI 6,
Honolulu 3
Honolulu is just a city on an Island called Oahu.
You can not compare Honolulu to Maui (which is an Island).
Old Oct 12, 2012, 2:41 am

Programs: BA, DL, HA, etc
Originally Posted by AussieGirl1977
We've revised our itinerary and will now be doing only the Big Island and O'ahu, so:

3 nights Hilo
5 or 6 nights Kona
6 nights Honolulu

For the Big Island, certainly get a copy of "Hawaii, The Big Island Revealed" available at any large book store in the travel section. As you 9look it over, you will find that my driving trips posted a few messages back, cover much of the island.

As for Hilo, staying that side will allow you to do the East side (waterfalls and volcano) with nighttime viewing of lava perhaps. You also can spend part of a day at the Zoo (just south of Hilo) without having to zip back and forth.

I think limiting yourself to two islands is a good idea and you will have the contrast of Oahu and the Big Island. As mentioned above by another poster, Oahu is more than Honolulu and I think a few days exploring that island will give you a contrast of a city and more rural place like the North Shore.

Then the Big Island, being rural with its varying weather will be a great trip too. I can expound on the virtues of the B.I. but suffice it to say that I decided to move here and felt that there was enough to do and enough variety that I would not miss the mainland U.S.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by Kölner
Honolulu is just a city on an Island called Oahu.
You can not compare Honolulu to Maui (which is an Island).
Thanks for the tip
The OP (whose original post got merged into this main thread) mentioned that she has been to Honolulu three times previous so I gave her the benefit of the doubt that she knows that Honolulu is just a city on the island of Oahu and just followed her lead in terms of naming convention (and for all I know, she only wants to shop in and around Honolulu).

Originally Posted by AussieGirl1977
<snip>
Our favourite experience was nighttime viewing of crater. Cool glow and a rare opportunity (for city folk like us) to have a great view of the stars in the sky. One potential suggestion is to trade one of the nights in Hilo w/ a night in Volcano Village to save an evening drive back to Hilo after a full day in the park and/or the ability to pitstop at your hotel or eat dinner before heading back at night.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 1:46 am

As previously stated, I've already been to Honolulu/O'ahu 4 times, but there's still a lot of things I've never done. Never climbed Diamond Head for one thing. I did a circle island tour on a bus but that was limited and also did the same in when I had a rental car, but that was rushed too. Won't be doing any luau's this time.

Yes we are going to HNL primarily for shopping, but also want to chill out and spend a few days on the beach.

I bought a copy of Big Island Revealed somewhere online, just waiting for it to arrive.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 6:58 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, A3 *A Gold, HH Gold, IHG Plat
Where to go besides Oahu?

Next February 6-16th we plan to say at the Sheraton Waikiki.

It was suggested we should consider broadening our choices, so I'm open to hearing a discussion about what you recommend.

A little about us. Family of 3, with a 3yr old son. We stayed at Sheraton Waikiki Dec '11 and had a great time. We like that it is right on the beach, even if their beach is postage stamp sized. We like that many shopping and eating are directly in front of the hotel. We will stay at SPG property no matter what to maintain status and because of value of Platinum benefits.

Last year we enjoyed the Polynesian cultural center, dolphin swimming and a trip to Diamond Head. Dolphin swimming is on the agenda again as our son may remember and enjoy it more this time. I had considered going to see a live volcano, though from what I'm hearing that is sort of hit and miss and could require long hiking which the wife probably wouldn't enjoy, especially if at the end we see no lava.

Ok, lay it on me, what do you suggest?
Old Oct 28, 2012, 7:01 pm

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Live volcano is on Big Island. Very hit or miss, but you'll have a good idea shortly before you go. Really rare to see anything up close.

USGS website to learn more.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 10:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by sthubbar
Next February 6-16th we plan to say at the Sheraton Waikiki.

It was suggested we should consider broadening our choices, so I'm open to hearing a discussion about what you recommend.

A little about us. Family of 3, with a 3yr old son. We stayed at Sheraton Waikiki Dec '11 and had a great time. We like that it is right on the beach, even if their beach is postage stamp sized. We like that many shopping and eating are directly in front of the hotel. We will stay at SPG property no matter what to maintain status and because of value of Platinum benefits.

Last year we enjoyed the Polynesian cultural center, dolphin swimming and a trip to Diamond Head. Dolphin swimming is on the agenda again as our son may remember and enjoy it more this time. I had considered going to see a live volcano, though from what I'm hearing that is sort of hit and miss and could require long hiking which the wife probably wouldn't enjoy, especially if at the end we see no lava.

Ok, lay it on me, what do you suggest?
The issue with activities on other islands is they are not well suited to your son at his age. For example, the lava hike (which has a very high chance of seeing flowing lava with the right private guide) is a no-no for a youngster as a fall on the dry lava can be very damaging.

Going to Mauna Kea for sunset is also a no-no (the summit), but with an adequate stop at the state park along the way to adjust to the altitude, the Visitors Center might be OK.

It really depends on how experienced and well suited your son is to adventure. I just came back from the Big Island and saw a family from China on the Pololu Valley trail with two young boys, but they were probably about 8 or 9 from what I could tell. As another option, the long hike to the Green Sand Beach and the tricky ladder climb down might not go over well with a youngster....or end up being the highlight of their trip. By car, there are some great valleys, views and waterfalls to see on the Big Island as well....and the Kohala side offers some of the best beaches in the world.

Maui might work - the drive to Hana would be an interesting experience (provided he doesn't get car sick easily) with lots of things to explore south of Hana...and the drive to Haleakala should be OK for your son with some short pauses along the way (the climb up is more gentle than Mauna Kea).

For whale watching (Dec-May), there are decent public options from Maui, and I can set you up with a private guide on the Big Island who does small group charters to see (and sometimes swim with) wild dolphins and whales.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
The issue with activities on other islands is they are not well suited to your son at his age.
Stephen,

Thanks for the feedback. If we're lucky the other islands will still be there when he is older and we can enjoy some of those activities then.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 10:24 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Stephen,

Thanks for the feedback. If we're lucky the other islands will still be there when he is older and we can enjoy some of those activities then.
With a stay of that length, I would still consider spending some of the trip on Maui - I think there are quite a few activities your son could enjoy there.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
With a stay of that length, I would still consider spending some of the trip on Maui - I think there are quite a few activities your son could enjoy there.
Stephen,

What do you recommend?
Old Nov 1, 2012, 12:04 am

Stephen,

What do you recommend?
1. Sunset on Haleakala (not sunrise)
2. Road to Hana - there are some generally easy trails near the Haleakala visitors center south of Hana that lead to beautiful waterfalls
3. If he is a comfortable swimmer (even with flotation), some shallow water snorkeling from the beach at Black Rock in front of the Sheraton
4. Whale-watch cruise
5. Day trip to Lana'i

Picking some items from that list should easily over-fill a few days on Maui.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.