Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Which/how many Island(s) Should I Visit? What Order? How Long?" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Which/how many Island(s) Should I Visit? What Order? How Long?" thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2010, 8:10 pm

Programs: AA PLAT, *wood Gold, Marriott Silver
Thanks for all the tips. We settled on Kauai (and booked flights)

Now we are having a hard time deciding between the North Shore (ie St Regis) and South Shore (i.e. Koa Kea). I've called them both, and each one claims the other is the rainy side.

Any ideas from the group?
Old Nov 8, 2010, 1:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Wirelessly posted (iPhone-ETOPS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Originally Posted by dave_SEA

Now we are having a hard time deciding between the North Shore (ie St Regis) and South Shore (i.e. Koa Kea). I've called them both, and each one claims the other is the rainy side.

North shore is by far the wetter side. If rain is your concern, I'd stick with the Poipu area and leave Princeville for a short visit with the car.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 2:09 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle

I'd be turned off from the St. Regis just for making that claim.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 7:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM

Can't believe the St. Regis said that.

BTW, the bar at Koa Kea (inside) has THE best mai tai on earth. You only need one and you are quire relaxed.

Also, it is very quiet there. It's about a 5 minute walk to Poipu Beach.

Given your choices of hotels, this is probably not an issue, but www.discounthawaiicarrental.com (or Priceline) will get you the best deal on a car.

Last edited by ILuvParis; Nov 10, 2010 at 7:39 pm
Old Nov 21, 2010, 7:37 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
Can't believe the St. Regis said that.

BTW, the bar at Koa Kea (inside) has THE best mai tai on earth. You only need one and you are quire relaxed.

Also, it is very quiet there. It's about a 5 minute walk to Poipu Beach.

Given your choices of hotels, this is probably not an issue, but www.discounthawaiicarrental.com (or Priceline) will get you the best deal on a car.
Thanks for the link.. I booked minivan KOA and OGG so will definitely check it out.. If you can believe it, through Orlando Magicard.. and prices were excellent.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 1:32 pm

Programs: a little here, a little there
Too much for one trip?

Hopefully I won't be chastized for not finding the answer amongst the hundreds of threads, but I'll put on my flame-resistant briefs and proceed.

Looking at a trip next summer (end of July- early August) with the wife and 2 kids. Generally we'll want to relax and do some basic activites and sight-seeing. Trying to maximize my use of points to leave cash available for other things.

Plan (no particular order yet):
5 nights Maui - The Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas
7-8 nights Hilton Waikoloa Village, Waikoloa
3-4 nights Waikiki, in a SPG hotel

Think this is too much in this amount of time? Should I skip an island? We have been to Oahu and the big island before, but not with the kids... wanted to have a day or two on Oahu to take them to the Arizona Memorial, etc.

Thanks!
Old Nov 24, 2010, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
That's a good combination, IMHO. The only change I 'might' make would be to add one night on Maui and subtract one from the B.I. Enjoy!
Old Nov 24, 2010, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
Relatively...too much time on Big Island. You might add at least one more night on Oahu. For instance...just going to North Shore can "kill" a day.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 2:54 pm

Programs: a little here, a little there
Not bad ideas... I wish I had more SPG points - I have enough HH to do the big island, which is why I was thinking a week, but am more limited wrt SPG...
Old Nov 24, 2010, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by johnndor
Not bad ideas... I wish I had more SPG points - I have enough HH to do the big island, which is why I was thinking a week, but am more limited wrt SPG...
When we go to the B.I. we spend a week to three weeks. It's a big island with lots to do. Great beaches in North Kohala for the kids and numerous snorkeling areas (kids will also love Kahaluu: http://www.bigisland.org/parks/316/kahaluu-beach-park). A day either way won't matter much. Go with what ya got!!
Old Nov 25, 2010, 6:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Not a bad combo.. its' true, Maui is a nice destination, and lots to do.. and you may want to be there that extra day.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 5:12 am

Programs: AMEX PLAT , HILTON GOLD, STARWOOD PREFERRED GUEST GOLD, IHG PLAT AMBASSADOR, DAVID O FAN CLUB
How to spend/split 9 days in Hawaii

My fiancee and I are thinking about heading to Hawaii from the UK in April ( having considered it for our honeymoon this September but opted for Indonesia booked through DavidO)

We are in our late 20s and plan to spend probably 9 nights in Hawaii followed by 3 nights in LA and 3 nights in Palm Desert (Palm Springs for the Coachella Music Festival ) before returning to the UK.

At the moment I am looking at renting a condo in Honua Kai Resort + Spa (March 31 - April 7) on Maui for around $2000 for a week.
Initially I thought about FS Lanai for 2 nights but now think I will just make a day visit while in Maui.
Instead I am thinking about 2 nights at the St Regis Princeville flying out from OGG with Island Air.
Then on to LA and Palm Springs.

LONDON - OGG , LIH - LAX , LAX - LONDON is about £850 with UA (would probably purchase economy plus for $425 and get all legs upgraded)

what do people think. i like the idea of week doing the things maui has to offer topped off by a stop in Kauai to take in the natural beauty and quieter island........
Old Jun 14, 2011, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by WEEBOBBY
My fiancee and I are thinking about heading to Hawaii from the UK in April ( having considered it for our honeymoon this September but opted for Indonesia booked through DavidO)

We are in our late 20s and plan to spend probably 9 nights in Hawaii followed by 3 nights in LA and 3 nights in Palm Desert (Palm Springs for the Coachella Music Festival ) before returning to the UK.

At the moment I am looking at renting a condo in Honua Kai Resort + Spa (March 31 - April 7) on Maui for around $2000 for a week.
Initially I thought about FS Lanai for 2 nights but now think I will just make a day visit while in Maui.
Instead I am thinking about 2 nights at the St Regis Princeville flying out from OGG with Island Air.
Then on to LA and Palm Springs.

LONDON - OGG , LIH - LAX , LAX - LONDON is about £850 with UA (would probably purchase economy plus for $425 and get all legs upgraded)

what do people think. i like the idea of week doing the things maui has to offer topped off by a stop in Kauai to take in the natural beauty and quieter island........
Kauai is great. I would suggest that you make your OGG-LIH flight for early in the day so as to get the most out of your brief stay in Kauai. Even though the flight is short, a mid-day departure will kill most of your day.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 1:39 pm

Programs: AMEX PLAT , HILTON GOLD, STARWOOD PREFERRED GUEST GOLD, IHG PLAT AMBASSADOR, DAVID O FAN CLUB
Originally Posted by broadwayblue
Kauai is great. I would suggest that you make your OGG-LIH flight for early in the day so as to get the most out of your brief stay in Kauai. Even though the flight is short, a mid-day departure will kill most of your day.
great minds think a like!
at the moment i have my eyes on a 9am flight from OGG to LIH , thinking while at the airport take an hour long helicopter or flight (Wings Over Kauai seems to get rave reviews) then head up to Princeville. 2 nights there and then a red eye UA flight to LA leaving about 9pm if memory serves me right.

That way we get almost 3 days.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 6:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by WEEBOBBY
great minds think a like!
at the moment i have my eyes on a 9am flight from OGG to LIH , thinking while at the airport take an hour long helicopter or flight (Wings Over Kauai seems to get rave reviews) then head up to Princeville. 2 nights there and then a red eye UA flight to LA leaving about 9pm if memory serves me right.

That way we get almost 3 days.
Well, you're doing one thing right. I always tell people to do Kauai last. Otherwise, everything pales in comparison and you will be sorry you left for another island. As a matter of fact, I told this to a Flyertalker a couple of years ago, but he didn't listen. He and his wife went to Kauai first. They ended up canceling the Maui portion of the trip. They have returned to Kauai two more times and still have not gone to Maui.

I don't want to rain on your parade, but my advice would be to stay on Maui five or six nights (most condos have five night minimums) and go to Kauai for one or two additional nights. Otherwise, you're going to be frustrated at the lack of time (unless you only want beach/pool time on the island).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.