Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Which/how many Island(s) Should I Visit? What Order? How Long?" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Which/how many Island(s) Should I Visit? What Order? How Long?" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2015, 12:57 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by thecoolhunter
Hi,

Planning to go to Hawaii in November. Is it a good month to go? (= nice and warm weather, no cold nights). I'd appreciate your input for the best areas to go to as we don't want to get stuck in rain and cold weather.

Thank you very much!
Well, you could Google average Hawaii temperature by month, and discern what the optimal month for you would be. However, every month is generally a good month in Hawaii. November is not a huge month for hurricanes, although a damaging one, Iwa, happened 32 years ago.

Regardless of when you come, you should be advised that some of the sunniest weather can be found on the southern/leeward shores of the islands. That should help you avoid higher winds/lower temperatures that could be (relatively) experienced on the northern/windward shores.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 12:27 pm

Programs: BA, DL, HA, etc
Also, for the Big Island http://konaweb.com has a forum and calendar of events on the island.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 4:46 pm

Smile 5 nights in Hawaii...What i should do?

Hi, i am from Uruguay south america, and i am flying to Honolulu for first time in my life with 2 friends for only 5 nights.(3rd week of February)

we are looking for some nightlife and beach vacations, and also we want to leave Hawaii, understanding the country.

Should i stay the 5 days in Honolulu? Or i should travel to other island too?

If i stay, what i should do to have the balance between exotic beaches, culture and fun?

Thank you so much every one!
Old Jan 26, 2015, 5:01 pm

Location: USA - HNL, SEA, DEN, ORD, MCO, and all points inbetween
Programs: Way too many!
Every island has a slightly different flavor. I'd personally not stay on Oahu the entire time, although I live part time on Oahu and love the island. It offers a lot for the visitor. You have Waikiki and all that offers, beautiful beaches, and Diamond Head. You can hike Diamond Head right to the top if you wish. There is great shopping all along Waikiki and Honolulu. Food is spectacular. Not just Hawaiian or Asian (Sushi) but other ethnic food. One of my favorite French restaurants happens to be in Hololulu, "Brasserie Du Vin". Worth a visit. Renting a car or hopping in a cab or on "The Bus" www.thebus.org can get you all over Oahu and you can see how Locals live outside of the tourist areas. The Windward side has great towns like Kaneohe and Kailua. You can circumnavigate most of the Island on 83 or Kamehameha Highway if you have a car. You can also go to Pearl Harbor and visit the Arizona Memorial and view the fleet.

Kauai is the garden island and much less populated. There are few larger towns and a lot of unspoiled native Hawaii to discover there. If you just want to lay on an unpopulated beach, Kauai is a good choice.

The Big Island is larger than most think, thus there are two airports on either side of the Island. There has been more development over the years and it is not quite as sparse and open as it used to be. There are a few black sand beaches that are unique. You can be near active volcanoes. You can see lava flows that have engulfed former paradise.

Maui has some truly spectacular hotels and beaches. If you go there, you should visit Wailea and visit "The Grand Wailea" or nearby hotels. They are opulent and spectacular. I happen to like that area of Maui and fly there once in a while from Oahu just for the weekend.

Hawaiian Airlines runs a lot of shuttle service flights Inter-Island, so if you are getting bored with Oahu, you can jump on a flight for the day or for a few days.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 8:04 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Welcome to FlyerTalk… since your post deals with one specific location, it will do better here in the dedicated Hawaii destination forum.

For future reference, please note that all FT destination forums can be found in regional categories in the Destinations section of the FORUM INDEX (see link in page header).

Good luck, and safe travels!

Moderator, Information Desk
Old Mar 20, 2015, 9:25 am

Where to go in Hawaii?

We've set our sights on Hawaii for our 10 year anniversary in 2016. Our anniversary is in September, so that'd be ideal, but not necessary.

I'm really not sure where we should go though!

-would love to see whales
-not big on hiking, but would be ok with it if the views/destination were spectacular
-don't need a "city" experience
-would love to see a volcano
-snorkeling would be nice
-we'd be beach bums for a lot of time, eating and drinking
-ideally we wouldn't rent a car, but if it's necessary we could

So, which island/city?

I would like a place with a chain hotel as my goal is use CC sign ups to get free/almost free nights. I don't have a chain in my sights yet though, but we would have to have a place on the beach.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 6:39 pm

Programs: BA, DL, HA, etc
Hawaii State whale season is late December to may.

Both Kauai and Hawaii [The Big Island] (my opinion) have the views you might be looking for.

Any island except Oahu [Honolulu/Waikiki] will give you the more rural feeling.

As for volcanoes, every island was formed from volcanoes so you will see craters and so on anywhere. The only ACTIVE volcano is on the Big Island (Hilo Side).

Snorkeling, most any island. here is a website with some recommendations: http://www.hawaiisnorkelingguide.com/

Almost any spot on any island is relaxing to sit back and enjoy the water, but be very careful near and in the water.

Honolulu (the city experience) has bus service, but most islands would be betetr experienced with a vehicle.

My personal recommendation is the Big Island. I bought a place on the Kona side because I could experience all different climates and things to see an do. There are some really great views where you don't even have to get out of the car. The unfortunate part is that the Big Island is called BIG for a reason. You will drive anywhere you go. Being a rural island there are a lot of farms and empty areas.

If you go to a good bookstore or library you will find a set of books like "Hawaii, The Big Island Revealed" and companion books for each island.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 9:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by jlt19
We've set our sights on Hawaii for our 10 year anniversary in 2016. Our anniversary is in September, so that'd be ideal, but not necessary.

-not big on hiking, but would be ok with it if the views/destination were spectacular

So, which island/city?

I would like a place with a chain hotel as my goal is use CC sign ups to get free/almost free nights. I don't have a chain in my sights yet though, but we would have to have a place on the beach.
If a volcano is at the top of the priority list, I agree that the Big Island is the only choice.

However, if a chain hotel on the beach is the #1 priority, I think Kauai is the choice. I may be wrong about this (and if I am, I'll be corrected in short order), but I think the only chain hotels on the Big Island are on the Kona side and they are by the water but not literally on the beach - and they are on the other side of the island from volcanoes. (FYI, the Chase Hyatt card will get you two free nights at any Hyatt in the world and it doesn't get any better than the Grand Hyatt Kauai and it is on the beach.)

With regard to your other items, it's pretty much a wash.

And, I think you're going to need a car regardless, but Kauai, being much smaller, is much more manageable with a lot less driving. Having spent the equivalent of several months on Kauai and having visited the Big Island several times, you cannot go wrong either way. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about Kauai.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 10:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jlt19

So, which island/city?

The Big Island is the only island to see an ACTIVE Volcano - but Maui has certainly got a major dormant Volcano, including the chance to see the inside of a Volcanic Caldera and substantial lava flows down to the sea that were active as recently as 220 years ago. In either the Big Island or Maui, getting a good look up close at the Volcanos involves some hiking.

Maui is certainly the best Island for whale watching, but September is too early for whale season. Whale Season is basically December to April. There may be a few random whales at other times, but Humpbacks specifically are very abundant in the Maui Channel from mid-December to late-April, as that is their migratory season to be in the waters off of the West Coast of Maui, where they are mating and birthing and otherwise enjoying themselves.

For chain hotels on good beaches, the best areas are Maui (Kaanapaali, Wailea, or Kapalua) or the Poipu area of Kauai. The St Regis in Princeville also has a nice beach, but November to March is very rainy in that side of Kauai. As mentioned above, the best chain Hotels on the Big Island are not on great beaches (with the exception of the Prince and Mauna Kea on the northern Kohala coast).

There are plenty of great near-shore snorkeling spots on Maui, Big Island, or Kauai, as well as short boat excursions to better spots further into open water.

I personally believe that any of Kauai, Maui, or the Big Island would be severely under-appreciated without a rental car.

For me personally, I think Maui offers the best of everything except for an active volcano,, which only the Big Island has.

I've been to all of the Islands, and I go back to Maui most often, but also to the Big Island as well. You really need a car to appreciate either one.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 9:17 am

Thank you all for your responses! You've narrowed it down to three for me We may island hop and hit two of them. I'll have to look at volcano on Maui to see what it's all about!
Old Apr 7, 2015, 3:04 pm

where to go/what to do? last minute reques

Hi, i am planning a 4-5 days to hawaii with my wife.. we are in our mid 30s..

... may i ask you where to go? hounulu vs maui? hotels vs apt?

and of course an online agency to book flight+hotels+car(if needed)

sorry for the quick msg but i am in hurry!
Old Apr 7, 2015, 5:23 pm

Programs: Delta
Since you're in a hurry and we don't know much, how about this.

Maui, Papakea Resort (condo), rent through VRBO.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 5:42 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Honolulu is great, if you like cities and crowds and traffic.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 10:14 pm

Programs: United 1K, AC 50K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Platinum
I would go to Kauai. Whatever you do don't bother with Honolulu.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 9:12 pm

Whatever you do don't bother with Honolulu.
Agree. Forget about Pearl Harbor/USS Arizona Memorial/USS Missouri, a rather unique Chinatown, farmers markets, sampling delicious ethnic or traditional cuisine, the entertainment/shopping/night life, or driving out to the other parts of the island where there are numerous hiking trails, lookout points, beaches, as well as many opportunities for watersports, skydiving, etc.

Last edited by cblaisd; Apr 19, 2015 at 9:35 pm Reason: Aloha spirit

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.