Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Which/how many Island(s) Should I Visit? What Order? How Long?" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Which/how many Island(s) Should I Visit? What Order? How Long?" thread

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2013, 4:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Kölner
Oahu is the most underrated of all Hawaiian Islands.
Oahu is more than Waikiki.
Sure, but the problem is, the nicest parts by far of Oahu have no hotels whatsoever in them. I have found that if you can get a reasonably priced and appropriately sized rental in the Kailua - Lanikai area, then Oahu is a worthy destination. But otherwise, the only non-Waikiki options are some run-down or rustic places on the North Shore, or the artificiality of Ko-Olina.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 9:53 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum Elite
The 10 year Hawaii Trip.

I am looking for some information and help figuring out our 10 year trip to Hawaii in mid Sept.

We are flying United rewards and staying with Marriott points. Planning on visiting Oahu and Maui over 10-12 days,trying to determine which first though. Thinking maybe 3-4 days on Oahu and the rest on Maui.

Any info or pointers from the veterans would be appreciated.

MCI>SFO>HNL
HNL>OGG
OGG>SFO>MCI

Lodging undecided.

Must do:
-Pearl Harbor
-Volcanos
-Luau
-Waterfalls
-Snorkle / Scuba
-Relax
-Other must do???

Thanks
Old Jul 14, 2013, 11:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
You're going to need a lot of points to stay on the island for 10 years...
Old Jul 15, 2013, 12:15 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Luau...meh...

On Oahu, hike up to the top of Diamond Head, free, and great city views. Spend one day driving around the island edge and stopping along the way at whatever catches youreye, various beaches, cafes, roadside stands, the Kahuku shrimp farms. Have a swim or watch the sunset at Sunset Beach. Stop off for a snorkel at Turtle Bay and Shark's Cove. Have a mahi mahi sandwich at Kua'Aina in Haleiwa. http://www.yelp.com/biz/kua-aina-haleiwa

(I love the North Shore.)

On Maui, go up to the top of Haleakala volcano for sunrise. Coast all the way down the mountain on bikes. Snorkel at Molokini island. Take the road to Hana, lots of waterfalls along the way. Drive on around the south side of he island, and stop at whatever little village or store catches your eye. Take the ferry over to Molokai for a day or two.

There are, of course, one or two other hings to do on the islands as well.

Have fun!
Old Jul 15, 2013, 2:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I just got back from Maui. Some thoughts:

Having snorkeled both Molikini and the local bays, the extra 90 minutes of travel isn't worth it. We took the 5 hr Trilogy cruise that loaded right in front of our hotel and saw just as much as last time at Molikini. (Trilogy is highly recommended - they do it right)

Leave plenty of time for Hana and further. Plenty of waterfalls on the way - pick up the Revealed book for details. Leave several hours for the Pipiwai Trail & Waimoku Falls hike from Haleakala/Kipahulu. Then drive on around the south side of the island. We left at 7a and still were a bit pressed for time.

Haleakala at sunset is just as nice as sunrise. We've done sunrise three times and did sunset this year - no 2am wakeup. We did a day upcountry, finishing with some hiking and then sunset. Do the Pineapple tour while you're there, and visit the shops in Makawao. We didn't find the drive to the winery to be worth it.

A day consisting of Iao Needle, Bailey House, Sugar Museum, Ocean Center, and the tropical plantation in the middle of it all (don't have the name handy) makes for a nice outing. Nothing exciting, but some good history and interesting tidbits.

Luau - as one of the guides told us - do it once and only once. So you can say you've done it and see what it's about. But it's not a top priority, IMHO.

We did a day on Lana'i, with the Jeep Rental that can be booked along with the ferry. I think this is preferable to Moloka'i, as the ferry trip is only half as long. I'm not sure I'd put this at the top of the list - it was our 4th trip so we were looking for something new, and we were able to schedule it on the day of the Pineapple Festival, so it was fun.

You're not going to do volcanoes on Oahu or Maui, other than dormant ones. Volcano National Park is on the Big Island.

Snorkel - Hanauma Bay on Oahu and Honolua Bay on Maui. My old stand by of Black Rock was a dud this year, but it's usually pretty good. Hanauma was a good 1st day morning trip with the time difference, if you're going to Oahu first. It's a bit of a drive and it opened at 5:30a when we went - we were there as it opened and had the entire place pretty much to ourselves s for hours. By 10a it was starting to get crowded.

We did plenty of kids' things - surf, parasail, jetski, etc - tripadvisor gave us good recommendations. Be sure to stop at Ululani's Hawaiian Shave Ice in Lahaina. At #1 of 674 on all of Maui, we just had to check it out. And the ranking is deserved - easily the best shave ice among those we tried on Kauai and Maui, and our kids had a mission to become shave ice aficionados.

It's been a while since I was on Oahu - Pearl/Arizona, of course. Hiking Diamond Head was great. Spend a day on the North Shore. Hanauma Bay. I don't remember much else (other than traffic).
Old Jul 15, 2013, 7:58 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by SvnTwoo
I am looking for some information and help figuring out our 10 year trip to Hawaii in mid Sept.

We are flying United rewards and staying with Marriott points. . . .

Lodging undecided.

Thanks
For Oahu --- We have stayed at Marriott Waikiki resort a couple times over the years. Good experience. Lots of different room choices. 2 pools. Across street from beach. Nice property. There is also a smaller Marriott Courtyard in Waikiki a few blocks from beach as would expected.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 9:05 am

Thanks for the tips so far.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 9:20 am
Suspended

We are flying United rewards and staying with Marriott points. Planning on visiting Oahu and Maui over 10-12 days,trying to determine which first though. Thinking maybe 3-4 days on Oahu and the rest on Maui.

Any info or pointers from the veterans would be appreciated.

MCI>SFO>HNL
HNL>OGG
OGG>SFO>MCI

Lodging undecided.

Must do:
-Pearl Harbor
-Volcanos
-Luau
-Waterfalls
-Snorkle / Scuba
-Relax
-Other must do???

Thanks
I would agree with the breakdown of 3-4 days in Oahu, and then ~9 years 361 days on other islands. Maybe 6 months on Kauai, 2-3 years on the Big Island, and the other 6-7 years on Maui, with perhaps a week on each of Molokai and Lanai.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 9:27 am

Thanks, I don't think I can handle 9yrs and change in Hawaii, but my wife is OK with it.
500k Marriott and 250k Hilton points acquired, so I was thinking Hilton for Oahu and Big Island and Marriott for Maui. Given a volcano is a must we have to hit the Big Island as well.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I've done 3 islands in 12 days. In fact, it was 4 O'ahu, 3 Hawai'i, 5 Maui on my first visit. Looking back, I may have swapped the 4 and 3, but either works. It's a stretch, and there's lots you won't see, but I don't find inter-island travel to be the big waste that many claim - just make it an early or late flight to make the most of the day. (Having said that, I haven't done more than 2 islands since - but if it may be your only trip....)

On Hawai'i, one day will certainly be a trip all the way around to VNP (assuming you're staying on the Kona side). Take the long drive North on the way there, see the Umaumau triple falls at the World Botanical Garden (assuming it's still there - it was 2 years ago), then take Saddle Rd on the way back. Stop at the visitors center partway up the road to the telescopes for some amazing stargazing - I think small telescopes are always set up there by a local club.

And don't listen to the "Oh, Saddle Rd, that's dangerous" comments, if you find them. It's much, much less difficult than the southern route around Maui, and that wasn't really too bad.

One other thing I remember was a drive up past Hawi to the end of the road, and a nice hike down the Awini Trail at the Pololu Lookout.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Thanks, I don't think I can handle 9yrs and change in Hawaii, but my wife is OK with it.
500k Marriott and 250k Hilton points acquired, so I was thinking Hilton for Oahu and Big Island and Marriott for Maui. Given a volcano is a must we have to hit the Big Island as well.
Hilton points for Oahu? Well, we have also stayed at Hilton Waikiki (formerly Hilton Prince Kuhio). All rooms remodeled not too long ago. It's behind the Marriott Waikiki on Kuhio St. 2 long blocks from beach. ( hence cheaper). And then the huge Hilton Hawaiian Village resort past Ft . DeRussey Park but still very walkable to central Waikiki hotels, restaurants, shopping etc. HHV is a popular busy family resort.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 11:43 am

Programs: BA, DL, HA, etc
Originally Posted by CPRich
On Hawai'i, one day will certainly be a trip all the way around to VNP (assuming you're staying on the Kona side). Take the long drive North on the way there, see the Umaumau triple falls at the World Botanical Garden (assuming it's still there - it was 2 years ago), then take Saddle Rd on the way back. Stop at the visitors center partway up the road to the telescopes for some amazing stargazing - I think small telescopes are always set up there by a local club.

And don't listen to the "Oh, Saddle Rd, that's dangerous" comments, if you find them. It's much, much less difficult than the southern route around Maui, and that wasn't really too bad.

One other thing I remember was a drive up past Hawi to the end of the road, and a nice hike down the Awini Trail at the Pololu Lookout.
Saddle road is now very drivable except a few spots still. In fact, I call it the H-4 with its recent Federal influx of money (and federal specifications). There is a pitch to the road to allow water runoff and gutters and some guardrails. The new extenction towards Kona should be open soon too.

Here are two videos:

Before much of the construction (the end of this is on what looks like parts of the new road.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKWEsLm2W7E

Here is the current drive. See the difference?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFzREzqnZAo

I guess next will be a McDonalds or Starbucks up there.

Last edited by Lavarock7; Jul 28, 2013 at 11:19 am
Old Jul 27, 2013, 12:30 am

I decided to book flights to HNL for the end of next month. We are two adults, not partiers but not every day lazing on the beach types either. We'll have 10 nights. I know I want to do Kauai. I was initially thinking 6 nights on Kauai, the last 4 on Oahu. Now I'm wondering if I shouldn't also try to hit Maui, and just do a half day tour of Honolulu the last day, as our plane home does not leave until 10 pm. So am I crazy to yty 5 nights Kauai, 5 nights Maui and just a day in Honolulu?
Old Aug 7, 2013, 11:29 am

I'm looking for some help in firming up our days in Hawaii. We'd like to visit Pearl Harbor/Missouri in Honolulu, Maui and the Big Island. We're going to try an alternate a "mostly beach day" with an active day. Some activities we are interested in are: SCUBA diving, surfing lessons, a round of golf, hiking, a horse back ride/tour, volcano, Mauna Kea observatory, Haleakala Crater and the Hana highway.

We're coming from the East Coast so I was thinking about landing at HNL and spending the night, then up early to Pearl Harbor. Fly over to the BI later afternoon.

Then 6 full days on the BI.
Seventh day fly to Maui.
Then 6 full days on Maui.
Then fly home from either OGG or HNL as needed.

How does that sound? Any comments or suggestions are appreciated! Thanks!
Old Aug 21, 2013, 2:01 pm

Bocastephen

Bocastephen, I tried to e-mail you but you need to clear some space in your inbox so it did not go through.

I printed out your 12 day Hawaii itinerary posted upthread and plan to use it next week. I am also visiting Maui for 5 nights and wonder if you have a similar itinerary for Maui? Your action-packed days mirror the way I like to travel! Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.