Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Which/how many Island(s) Should I Visit? What Order? How Long?" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Which/how many Island(s) Should I Visit? What Order? How Long?" thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2015, 11:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JA8589
Agree. Forget about Pearl Harbor/USS Arizona Memorial/USS Missouri, a rather unique Chinatown, farmers markets, sampling delicious ethnic or traditional cuisine, the entertainment/shopping/night life, or driving out to the other parts of the island where there are numerous hiking trails, lookout points, beaches, as well as many opportunities for watersports, skydiving, etc.
Don't forget worse traffic than on almost any city on the mainland, other than maybe L.A.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 3:53 pm

Easy to avoid the rush hour traffic, you're on vacation!
Old Apr 23, 2015, 12:04 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jerseygirl
Easy to avoid the rush hour traffic, you're on vacation!
Not really - if you want to go from the airport into Waikiki, or vice versa, you'll hit it. You'll also hit it if you want to go from Waikiki (where most of the hotels are) to any of the more desirable parts of Oahu. And I never mentioned "rush hour" because Honolulu traffic is not confined to commute hours.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Much to my surprise, I arrive in HNL on a Sunday at around 3:30pm. I only had a carryon and was in F so was out of the aircraft pretty quickly.

25 minutes later, I was in Waikiki at my hotel. This includes picking up the rental car.

I almost fell over in shock.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by lhgreengrd1
Not really - if you want to go from the airport into Waikiki, or vice versa, you'll hit it. You'll also hit it if you want to go from Waikiki (where most of the hotels are) to any of the more desirable parts of Oahu. And I never mentioned "rush hour" because Honolulu traffic is not confined to commute hours.
I was referring to rush hour[s] not in Honolulu but on the other roads in Oahu - going to North Shore, etc Outside of rush hour have never been bothered by traffic in the 14 years we have been going to Oahu. Certainly not as bad as traffic to/from Manhattan
but we are usually leaving from KoOlina not Honolulu.
Old Apr 17, 2016, 7:06 am

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
how long in each OGG/KOA?

Currently flying into OGG, arriving at 20:10 on the 21st, and out of KOA at 8pm on the 29th.

What I haven't decided yet, is when to leave OGG for KOA. Any thoughts?

I havent done too much research yet, all I know is we'll probably do a luau in Lahaina and that we want to see the Volcanoes, and that I'm going to rent a car in both places.

Any preferences and/or thoughts appreciated!
Old Apr 17, 2016, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by aceman
Currently flying into OGG, arriving at 20:10 on the 21st, and out of KOA at 8pm on the 29th.

What I haven't decided yet, is when to leave OGG for KOA. Any thoughts?

I havent done too much research yet, all I know is we'll probably do a luau in Lahaina and that we want to see the Volcanoes, and that I'm going to rent a car in both places.

Any preferences and/or thoughts appreciated!
You could spend many weeks on each island. I usually recommend a 50/50 split. VNP is amazing in the evening if any lava is flowing.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 5:39 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawai...olidated+which
Old Apr 18, 2016, 10:28 am

Programs: HH-Diamond, IHG-Plat, DL-DM, PnF Plat, Kroger +
We are spending a week in OGG in May. Doing hikes, Road to Hana, Luau, and may not be enough time to see it all.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 11:37 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Delta SkyMiles, Fairmont President's Club ,Marriott Rewards,
As you only have 8 nights total, and a focus on VNP…I would fly from OGG to ITO for a couple of nights to tour VNP and see a few sights on the East side of the Big Island.
Leave early enough on departure day to get across to the West side so as not to miss your Mainland flight out of KOA.
Splitting the 8 nights equally between Maui and Big Island would be ill advised IMO…as exploring both sides of the Big Island needs about 8 nights on it's own.
Do the East side of Hawaii Island this time out and leave the west side for when you have more time.
5/6 nights Maui, and 2/3 nights Big Island could work.
Old May 24, 2016, 6:26 pm

My wife and I are thinking about going to Hawaii with our one-year-old son for one week in July. We have narrowed our choice to Kauai, because we'd like to be on a relatively small and quiet island, but we have hard time deciding between the north (Princeville area) and south (Poipu area) shores. We are mostly looking for good beaches (good for babies, i.e. uncrowded and without high surf), but also would like to visit some of the attractions that Kauai has to offer.

Based on that information, would you recommend staying on the north shore or on the south shore? Or should we split our vacation and spend a few days on each?
Old May 24, 2016, 6:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by ivan89
My wife and I are thinking about going to Hawaii with our one-year-old son for one week in July. We have narrowed our choice to Kauai, because we'd like to be on a relatively small and quiet island, but we have hard time deciding between the north (Princeville area) and south (Poipu area) shores. We are mostly looking for good beaches (good for babies, i.e. uncrowded and without high surf), but also would like to visit some of the attractions that Kauai has to offer.

Based on that information, would you recommend staying on the north shore or on the south shore? Or should we split our vacation and spend a few days on each?
Probably one of the most kiddie friendly beaches in all of Hawaii is at Poipu Beach Park. The surf tends to be much rougher on the north shore, but no doubt someone here can offer some of the more kid friendly areas.

Just came across this:

http://www.travelswithbaby.com/blog/...-and-toddlers/
Old May 26, 2016, 12:19 am

Originally Posted by ILuvParis
Probably one of the most kiddie friendly beaches in all of Hawaii is at Poipu Beach Park. The surf tends to be much rougher on the north shore, but no doubt someone here can offer some of the more kid friendly areas.

Just came across this:

http://www.travelswithbaby.com/blog/...-and-toddlers/
Thank you!
Old May 26, 2016, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold
I'm more of a fan of the north shore, but the south shore and the Poipu area is probably more what you're looking for.

You can always take a day trip or two up to the north coast.
Old May 26, 2016, 4:44 pm

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter

If you are going to Kauai for just one week, I recommend staying on the East shore. That way you have easy access to both the North and South shores.
Lydgate State Park in Wailua is very family friendly. It has a protected swimming area and an extensive playground

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.