Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Which/how many Island(s) Should I Visit? What Order? How Long?" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Which/how many Island(s) Should I Visit? What Order? How Long?" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2016, 11:32 am

Thank you, onthego15 and WRCSolberg!
Old Jun 21, 2016, 8:49 am

We are thinking of doing Hawaii the last two weeks of July. Young couple - no kids.

We have a one week conference in OGG and are debating if we should just spend another week prior to the conference in OGG as well. Thoughts? Should we do another island or just stay in OGG and then take day trips to other islands? Looking for input on what to do as well. First time there. Thanks.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 12:38 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by 1 million
We are thinking of doing Hawaii the last two weeks of July. Young couple - no kids.

We have a one week conference in OGG and are debating if we should just spend another week prior to the conference in OGG as well. Thoughts? Should we do another island or just stay in OGG and then take day trips to other islands? Looking for input on what to do as well. First time there. Thanks.
Consideration of your query involves knowing some things:

-Where is your conference?
-Will you have time to explore during your conference dates?
-What are some things you like to do?
Old Jun 21, 2016, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by 747FC
Consideration of your query involves knowing some things:

-Where is your conference?
-Will you have time to explore during your conference dates?
-What are some things you like to do?

-Conference in Maui
-Yes - will have time - conf dates are essentially the last week of July
- We are open to everything, except can't swim too well, so rather not go into the ocean diving or surfing or snorkeling
Old Jun 21, 2016, 5:59 pm

Programs: HH-Diamond, IHG-Plat, DL-DM, PnF Plat, Kroger +
If you can afford it, have the base in OGG. we were there for 7 days and were busy exploring the whole island. Jumping to another islands is expensive but if you can afford it go ahead while you are there.
There is plenty to see and do in Maui, we did not do any swimming as well.
what do you like to do?
Old Jun 21, 2016, 6:35 pm

-Conference in Maui
-Yes - will have time - conf dates are essentially the last week of July
- We are open to everything, except can't swim too well, so rather not go into the ocean diving or surfing or snorkeling
Where in Maui is your conference. That makes a difference?
Old Jun 21, 2016, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by Eddie98
If you can afford it, have the base in OGG. we were there for 7 days and were busy exploring the whole island. Jumping to another islands is expensive but if you can afford it go ahead while you are there.
There is plenty to see and do in Maui, we did not do any swimming as well.
what do you like to do?
really open to anything BUT swimming. good food is always a plus.

jumping means taking day trips?
Old Jun 21, 2016, 6:48 pm

Where in Maui is your conference. That makes a difference?
Conference is somewhere close to the hotel, and we will be staying at the Ritz Carlton Kapalua. So far, we have 10 nights planned at this hotel.

Appreciate all the input from everyone.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 7:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Conference is somewhere close to the hotel, and we will be staying at the Ritz Carlton Kapalua. So far, we have 10 nights planned at this hotel.

Personally, I'd go to Kauai or the Big Island the second week, especially if you don't expect to get back to Hawaii any time soon.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 9:26 pm

OK. That is helpful.

Kapalua is very far from any other sites you might want to visit on Maui. Unless you plan on only taking in the early morning sessions of the conference and then skipping out mid-morning or at lunchtime, there is little to see in the area. If that is the case, stay an few days in Maui, and do day trips to Haleakala, Hana, Iao, etc.

You might consider the Big Island, and get some volcano viewing at Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. I recently had a business trip there, and stayed at Volcano House. Very magical views of the volcano at night. Highly recommend. If you hike, they have all sorts of nature trails and guides.

Have fun. Aloha!
Old Jun 22, 2016, 7:48 am

Thanks all.

@747FC - those places you mention - are they all in Maui? We plan on renting a car as the taxi from airport to hotel is about $150 and a car will be more economical. The conference is rather relaxed and we will have plenty of time during the day and can even skip a couple of days if needed.

Getting some more concrete details - so we will be in Maui for about 10 nights and have approx 3 nights prior where we are free and can do another island. Does it make sense to fly into another island, spend three nights there, and then head to Maui?
Old Jun 22, 2016, 10:20 am

Thanks all.

@747FC - those places you mention - are they all in Maui? We plan on renting a car as the taxi from airport to hotel is about $150 and a car will be more economical. The conference is rather relaxed and we will have plenty of time during the day and can even skip a couple of days if needed.

Getting some more concrete details - so we will be in Maui for about 10 nights and have approx 3 nights prior where we are free and can do another island. Does it make sense to fly into another island, spend three nights there, and then head to Maui?
All are on Maui except for Volcanoes National Park (Big Island).

Given the flexibility of your conference attendance, and your willingness to allocate whole days to tour, I would suggest your prior nights to either explore Oahu (if you are flying directly there from your origin--which is unspecified), or else head to Volcanoes National Park.

You could easily do a week exploring the whole of the Big Island or Oahu. The difference is do want a nature-centered experience (BI) or historical (Oahu). N.B.: There is plenty of nature on Oahu, just not as dramatic as on BI.

Happy trails...
Old Jun 22, 2016, 12:22 pm

Programs: Nothing worth mentioning
For me, 10 nights at the Ritz is too many. It's a lovely resort but rather isolated, as others have mentioned. If your conference is 5 days/nights, then maybe limit stay to that, unless your business is picking up the tab at the Ritz - then it might be worth it to stay, even with the long driving days. Otherwise, spend a few nights somewhere on the south side so it's easier to reach Hana side of Isle. From Ritz location you can easily drive to northern tip & Kahului Bay or down to Lahanai, passing Black Rock & Kaanapali Beach. Isle hopping can be expensive but if you have time & $$, I'd recommend Kauai. It's called the Garden Isle for a reason - it's beautiful. I prefer the north shore & Hanalei, & there are lots of condo rentals & 2 very nice resorts at Princeville: Westin & St. Regis. South side at Poipu has lots of places/resorts, including Hyatt, Hilton & Marriott. Lots of non-chain properties all over the isle if not looking for a big hotel. If you aren't comfortable swimming, you ought to try a couple of sailing trips, very safe & you can be ON the water, not in it! Rental car tip: if not using points, try Costco Travel: rates are usually very good & 2nd driver is free. Whatever you decide: enjoy your island time!
Old Jun 22, 2016, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by travelsavant
For me, 10 nights at the Ritz is too many. It's a lovely resort but rather isolated, as others have mentioned. If your conference is 5 days/nights, then maybe limit stay to that, unless your business is picking up the tab at the Ritz - then it might be worth it to stay, even with the long driving days. Otherwise, spend a few nights somewhere on the south side so it's easier to reach Hana side of Isle. From Ritz location you can easily drive to northern tip & Kahului Bay or down to Lahanai, passing Black Rock & Kaanapali Beach. Isle hopping can be expensive but if you have time & $$, I'd recommend Kauai. It's called the Garden Isle for a reason - it's beautiful. I prefer the north shore & Hanalei, & there are lots of condo rentals & 2 very nice resorts at Princeville: Westin & St. Regis. South side at Poipu has lots of places/resorts, including Hyatt, Hilton & Marriott. Lots of non-chain properties all over the isle if not looking for a big hotel. If you aren't comfortable swimming, you ought to try a couple of sailing trips, very safe & you can be ON the water, not in it! Rental car tip: if not using points, try Costco Travel: rates are usually very good & 2nd driver is free. Whatever you decide: enjoy your island time!
Thanks.

We are getting a discount on the per night stay at the Ritz - but not free. Looks like it would be ideal to rent a car and drive and explore Maui.

Also appears everyone is recommending another island prior to getting to Maui
Old Jun 22, 2016, 12:57 pm

All are on Maui except for Volcanoes National Park (Big Island).

Given the flexibility of your conference attendance, and your willingness to allocate whole days to tour, I would suggest your prior nights to either explore Oahu (if you are flying directly there from your origin--which is unspecified), or else head to Volcanoes National Park.

You could easily do a week exploring the whole of the Big Island or Oahu. The difference is do want a nature-centered experience (BI) or historical (Oahu). N.B.: There is plenty of nature on Oahu, just not as dramatic as on BI.

Happy trails...
That is another question I had. When flying, the only direct flight is to HNL. Should we just stay in Oahu as HNL is there for 3 days and then head to Maui? That would essentially mean a one way trip into HNL. Then a connector to Maui three days later and another one way trip from Maui to the NYC area.

Or we can book a one way to Maui with one stop, which can be at LAX/PHX/HNL depending on the airline used?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.