Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Which/how many Island(s) Should I Visit? What Order? How Long?" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Which/how many Island(s) Should I Visit? What Order? How Long?" thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2011, 9:04 pm

Thanks again everyone!!

A couple of great places to look at for the luau!!

And - appreciate the additional info on the big island. In the end, we've decided on Maui for this trip...next time...the big island (and a longer visit!!).
Old Sep 12, 2011, 10:31 pm

Programs: BA, DL, HA, etc
Originally Posted by lance02
Thanks again everyone!!

A couple of great places to look at for the luau!!

And - appreciate the additional info on the big island. In the end, we've decided on Maui for this trip...next time...the big island (and a longer visit!!).
No problem. As they say, "We'll leave the lights (and lava) on for you!"
Old Nov 10, 2011, 8:45 am

Honolulu or Kauai first?

Going to Hawaii in May '12 with a group of 6. We were planning on doing HNL for 3 days first and then Kauai for 4 days (our mainland flight is in/out of HNL).

I was planning HNL first figuring it would be more tiring sitesighting and saving Kauai to relax (however, I 've only been to Maui & BI), but now I'm thinking about doing Kauai first so we don't have to stress out about making sure we get from Kauai to HNL in time for our mainland flight our last day.

Any thoughts on if order makes a difference for first time visitors (the other 4 in my party have never been to hawaii) and is my time split good for 7 days?
Old Nov 10, 2011, 9:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by nic3456
Going to Hawaii in May '12 with a group of 6. We were planning on doing HNL for 3 days first and then Kauai for 4 days (our mainland flight is in/out of HNL).

I was planning HNL first figuring it would be more tiring sitesighting and saving Kauai to relax (however, I 've only been to Maui & BI), but now I'm thinking about doing Kauai first so we don't have to stress out about making sure we get from Kauai to HNL in time for our mainland flight our last day.

Any thoughts on if order makes a difference for first time visitors (the other 4 in my party have never been to hawaii) and is my time split good for 7 days?
People who have seen my posts probably get tired of me saying this, but I recommend that people ALWAYS plan on Kauai last. If you do it first, you won't want to leave and the rest of the trip will suffer by comparison. I made the same recommendation to another Flyertalker. He didn't listen and went to Kauai first. He and his wife loved it so much that they cancelled the trip to Maui and have been back to Kauai at least twice more. Follow my advice and your vacation will just get better and end on a highlight.

If you are flying HA between the islands, you have little to worry about. They have the best on time record in the business. Hundreds of people do this every day. You'll be fine.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 11:33 am

Programs: AA Peon Gold
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
People who have seen my posts probably get tired of me saying this, but I recommend that people ALWAYS plan on Kauai last. If you do it first, you won't want to leave and the rest of the trip will suffer by comparison. I made the same recommendation to another Flyertalker. He didn't listen and went to Kauai first. He and his wife loved it so much that they cancelled the trip to Maui and have been back to Kauai at least twice more. Follow my advice and your vacation will just get better and end on a highlight.
I had a similar experience. I booked tickets to HNL back in 2010, and my gf's friend suggested that we go to Kauai. I didn't really want to go, but my gf did, so we went. I went into it rather skeptical, but Kauai blew my mind to the extent that I really didn't care much for Oahu in comparison. There really is no comparison. Kauai IS Hawaii, Oahu is largely an urban tourist trap, in my opinion.

So, we're going to back to Kauai and ONLY Kauai next year for two weeks.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 2:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold

Originally Posted by WRCSolberg
I had a similar experience. I booked tickets to HNL back in 2010, and my gf's friend suggested that we go to Kauai. I didn't really want to go, but my gf did, so we went. I went into it rather skeptical, but Kauai blew my mind to the extent that I really didn't care much for Oahu in comparison. There really is no comparison. Kauai IS Hawaii, Oahu is largely an urban tourist trap, in my opinion.

So, we're going to back to Kauai and ONLY Kauai next year for two weeks.
To OP.. I've heard of save the best for last.. Oahu is action central..

The lasting memories will probably be of Kauai..
Old Nov 10, 2011, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Originally Posted by ILuvParis

If you are flying HA between the islands, you have little to worry about. They have the best on time record in the business. Hundreds of people do this every day. You'll be fine.
I have to agree with this. Our first trip to Kauai was planned as 8 nights and another 4 in Waikik, as we really enjoy Oahu as well.

We were upgraded to a phenomenal ocean front suite at the Hyatt and didn't want to leave. Actually, we were figuring out how we could remodel it and move in The day before we were to leave we decided to drop 1 night off Waikiki and spend more time in Kauai and haven't regretted it.

My only other comment is that if you go to Hawaii often enough you will start to enjoy each island for what it is. Sometimes we only go to Oahu, other times we do both, sometimes we only do Kauai. It depends on the type of vacation we want to have.

But I have to tell people that Oahu is far more than Waikiki and really doesn't deserve the reputation it has. There are some outstanding and nearly empty beaches if you go looking for them.
Old May 5, 2012, 7:09 am

1st time, suggestions

This is my first visit to Hawaii , as well for my elderly parents. I plan on going in June and would like suggestions on which island(s) to stay in. I am looking at 6-7 days. Will mainly want to sightsee and eat. Any advice will be appreciated.
Old May 5, 2012, 8:51 am

Programs: AA, HA, UA, DL, HH, SPG, Kimpton, Fairmont, New Otani, I Prefer
Originally Posted by shizmd
This is my first visit to Hawaii , as well for my elderly parents. I plan on going in June and would like suggestions on which island(s) to stay in. I am looking at 6-7 days. Will mainly want to sightsee and eat. Any advice will be appreciated.
How elderly and how mobile? Oahu will have the most accommodations and the most sights that are accessible to those with limited mobility. Oahu will also have the best, most varied restaurants. Do you plan on renting a car? What is your budget per night for hotels? Are you getting one or two rooms or would you prefer a condo? Where are you coming from?
Old May 5, 2012, 10:13 am
Suspended

Personally, I would do 2 days on Oahu, and the rest on Maui. On Oahu, divide one day between Pearl Harbor and Waikiki, spend the 2nd day between the north shore and the Polynesian center, and then leave for Maui.

On Maui, relax, shop and eat. If the budget is intermediate, stay in Kaanapaali. If it's upscale, stay in Wailea. If they are up for it, do Haleakala and Hana day trips.
Old May 6, 2012, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Sightsee and eat? I would also recommend either Oahu or Maui. Oahu has Pearl Harbor and the Arizona Memorial - I visited there my first trip, and am glad I did. But having been to Oahu once, I haven't been back. There are no doubt many great places, and you can have a fun week there, but I'd put it 4th on my list (after the "must visit" (for me) first trip).

I'd say Maui has the best mix of everything - things to do but also many places to get away from it, or just hang out and relax, but fine dining options.

And if getting away and just relaxing was really the entire objective, I'd say Kauai.
Old May 6, 2012, 10:36 am

Going to Hawaii in May '12 with a group of 6. We were planning on doing HNL for 3 days first and then Kauai for 4 days (our mainland flight is in/out of HNL).....................Any thoughts on if order makes a difference for first time visitors (the other 4 in my party have never been to hawaii) and is my time split good for 7 days?
One big advantage of doing HNL first is you will be awake early and can visit the Arizona Memorial when it first opens at 7:00 AM and beat the crowd.

http://www.nps.gov/valr/planyourvisit/index.htm
Old May 6, 2012, 10:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by shizmd
Have they ever been to Hawaii before? If so, they've probably seen Oahu. I would skip it. If they haven't been, they'd probably like to see Pearl Harbor and a drive around the island. Honolulu is just big city, granted a big city on a nice beach, but most elderly people probably aren't interested in the crowds and sunning.

I'd go with Kauai, although June is going to be busy on any island (when the west coast schools take their summer break, families head to Hawaii). In the last few years, a bunch of excellent restaurants have opened in the Poipu area. So, eating and driving around the island will allow for a lot of sight seeing of natural beauty without it being hectic, but if they get around fairly well, there are also places to get out and walk (Waimea Canyon, North Shore, Hindu Monastery, etc.).
Old May 6, 2012, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by KenfromDE
One big advantage of doing HNL first is you will be awake early and can visit the Arizona Memorial when it first opens at 7:00 AM and beat the crowd.

http://www.nps.gov/valr/planyourvisit/index.htm
It's been a while, but when I tried that I found that everyone has the same idea. I was there at about 7:10 on my second morning and waited until noon to get in. Had I waited until noon to arrive, I would have been in by 2.

My first morning was to Hanauma Bay for the 6am opening. It was us and about 10 other folks for a couple of hours. We left about 11 as it was getting crowded and passed a line wrapped around the parking lot waiting t get in.
Old May 6, 2012, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by CPRich
It's been a while, but when I tried that I found that everyone has the same idea. I was there at about 7:10 on my second morning and waited until noon to get in...........
Either I am lucky or you are unlucky. Never had that problem. Even as late as 8 AM and maybe even 9, have gotten into the movie/boat in less than an hour. Reasonable waiting time can be spent in the new visitor center(s).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.