Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Which/how many Island(s) Should I Visit? What Order? How Long?" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Which/how many Island(s) Should I Visit? What Order? How Long?" thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2010, 11:42 am

Programs: AA/UA/UR/MRP/IHG Plat
Could you spend some time on both, depending on how long you're planning to be there? Both are great...as noted in the other post...and have different things to offer. it's also pretty easy to catch inter-island flights between the two...and there are decent fares sometimes depending on when you're traveling.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 11:50 am

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, UMP, SPG
For hiking and a more laid back feel, I prefer Kauai. There are some great hikes on Kauai; the Kalalau Trail along the Na Pali Coast (we like to do 2 miles to Hanakapai Beach & then another 2 inward to the falls, the Kuilau trail along rte. 580 and the many trails in Waimea Canyon including Pihea and Nualolo.

There's only one good hike I know of in Maui on the West side- Waihee Valley. Most hiking is on the Road to Hana or on Haleakala (both long drives).

Water is calmer in Maui, but more crowded. Both islands are great, but I would choose Kauai-the Hyatt in Poipu is fabulous and there are some great rentals on the North Shore.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA, AA, US, DL SPG Platinum, IHG Platinum
We did Kauai last time and hiked the Na Pali cost as well. Fastastic scenery, beaches and wildlife. We rented a little house/cabin about 30 yards off the beach and it was cheaper than a hotel for the week. Have done Maui before as well but prefer Kauai if you want to see the real Hawaii.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 5:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Your first time.. I would do Maui.. but if you can fit in both.. that would be my first choice.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 6:13 pm

Programs: AA PLAT, *wood Gold, Marriott Silver
OP here. We're thinking 7 days. Can someone propose how to fit both in? Which one first? There are directs from DFW to OGG which will help us to some degree.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 7:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 2mm
you can have it all

the trip between maui and kauai is relatively inexpensive, a short hop and will cost you a few hours and a few bucks. It's worth seeing both, as they are very different. I'm a frequent visitor to Maui (owned property there at one time). The guidebooks are pretty good with respect to touring (road to Hana -- do the entire circuit; drive to the top of Haleakala, etc...). The real pleasure, however, is just getting into the water and drinking rum and pog. I typically stay in rented homes on the north shore and enjoy the surf and the local color. The most lux hotels are in Wailea (four seasons being the top). You can also rent low-rise, townhouse-type condos at a myriad of price points. I'd tend to avoid Kehei and Kaanapali as they tend to be fairly tourist intensive. Best places to eat, by far: dinner at Hali'imaile General Store -- offbeat and amazing pan-pacific food and lunch at the Paia Fish Market (ono burgers to die for at low prices -- you rub elbows with the surf crowd at communal tables). Aloha!
Old Nov 2, 2010, 10:34 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
I'd do all 7 days in Maui, given the non-stop flight. Plus, Maui has a good variety of different activities. I'm not a fan of island-hopping, since it eats up so much of the travel day, but many people like to do it. I'd do Maui this time and Kauai next time. In any event, you can't go wrong no matter what you do...it's Hawaii.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 7:31 am

Maui is good for a first timer. It laid back, but also has more restaurants and entertainment than Kauai. Be sure to go to Mama's Fish House and Lahaina Grill.

If you plan to go take the Road to Hana you can stay a couple night in Hana and enjoy the serenity. The 7 Sacred Pools are also on that side of the island. I stayed at the Luana Spa Retreat, which was extremely private since there is only 1 cabin. You can also stay at the Hotel Hana which is pricey, but very nice.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 9:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I would suggest an island based on:

1) Want luxury/broad hotel choices? Maui

2) Want breathtaking views, some of the best hiking in the US? Kaua'i

3) Want access to more urbane pursuits (shopping, fine dining)? Maui

4) Want more interesting places to visit by car? Maui

5) Want a more laid-back, relaxed atmosphere? Kaua'i

6) Are you traveling during November-April? Maui (weather and whales)
Old Nov 3, 2010, 2:54 pm

Programs: AA PLAT, *wood Gold, Marriott Silver
Thanks for all the great tips. THis is why FT is my favourite travel site.

My wife and I decided on Kauai. Our logic is that this trip is just us, and future trips will likely be with kids. THat being said, we can always do Maui with kids but likely wouldn't do Kauai with kids...

The only comment that made me nervous was the weather...am I in trouble goign to Kauai in the first half of Dec?

Also, can someone comment if I need a car rental on Kauai?

Thanks FT!
Old Nov 3, 2010, 3:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by dave_SEA
The only comment that made me nervous was the weather...am I in trouble goign to Kauai in the first half of Dec?

Also, can someone comment if I need a car rental on Kauai?

Thanks FT!
Kaua'i can be wet during the winter. Of course all Hawaiian islands get some rain, but it varies with location. You can often find dry spots on Maui and the Big Island, but not so easy on Kaua'i and O'ahu.

The issue with rain is hiking - water makes the trails slippery and soggy, so they are anywhere from very uncomfortable to downright dangerous. If you're doing a lot of hiking, winter is probably not your best choice.

You will definitely need a car on Kaua'i - only O'ahu and Lana'i offer reasonable car-free options unless you plan on spending your entire trip onsite at a resort.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 7:57 pm

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
I've been to Kauai 4 times in winter, usually for 2-3 weeks per trip and I've had very little problem with rain. Mostly I've encountered showers - very rarely had to deal with all day rains (and I spend a lot of time on the North Shore.)

There are a number of threads here specifically on Kauai - restaurants, what to see, where to stay, etc. Search, find and enjoy.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 3:37 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 3MM, DL Plat, Hertz PC, SPG Gold
I would recommend basing yourself in Poipu, where it is almost certain to be sunny.

From there you can do day trips to Waimea Napali coast, North Shore, etc.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 8:14 pm

Good choice! I second basing on the southern end of the island. There are a good number of oceanfront condos to rent if you want a different experience than a hotel, at often less than the cost of a hotel.

You will definitely need a car.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 11:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I would definitely stay on the dry side of the island.. the wet side is non stop rain.. nice to visit, but not to stat at.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.