Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Which/how many Island(s) Should I Visit? What Order? How Long?" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Which/how many Island(s) Should I Visit? What Order? How Long?" thread

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2007, 12:33 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by svenskaflicka
...The beaches on Oahu blow away the other islands.
???

There are indeed a few great ones on O`ahu, but more of the ones that consistently make the "best beaches" list are on other islands:

http://www.bestplaceshawaii.com/tips...t/beaches.html

http://travel.discovery.com/ideas/be...i-beaches.html

http://www.viamagazine.com/top_stori..._Beaches04.asp

Originally Posted by svenskaflicka
I would finish up on Maui. For me it is the best of the islands.
That entirely depends, it seems to me, on what one means by "best." Maui for me has been far too California-ized in too many places. The joke I used to hear in the Bay Area was that if you wanted to see your neighbor, go to Maui. If you want "old Hawaii" (and not simply the resort tourism version of "the best") then Moloka`i or the Big Island (east side) would probably be best.
Old May 25, 2007, 12:54 pm

Programs: HA Pua. Platinum WP, PR, QF, UA, AA, DL, NW Prince Preferred
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Maui for me has been far too California-ized in too many places.
Wailea has a Spago.
Old Jun 1, 2007, 11:15 pm

Sorry to hear you are not going to see Kauai. I would drop Hawaii instead.
Old Jun 2, 2007, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gomike
Sorry to hear you are not going to see Kauai. I would drop Hawaii instead.
Miss the Volcanos National Park and driving the Saddle Road? No Way.
Old Jun 2, 2007, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
Driving the north shore of Oahu (taking the H3 there, then back along the coast) past the Ranch & then the Cultural Center, the green mountains resemble those of Kauai (mini Napali!).

I'd definitely recommend a stay in a cottage in Volcano (not in the VNP itself) then a drive through Hilo and a drive on Saddle Rd. Just beware you may have a maniac in a 4WD behind you, wanting to go 70MPH on the twisty bits. A little too fast for most people, IMO!

We were very happy with Hawaii-Kauai-Oahu (would spend a little more in Hawaii, less in Kauai and more in Oahu next time, maybe equal for each).
Surprisingly, I really liked the Keahou-Captain Cook area south of KOA best on Hawaii and the North Shore of Oahu, for the scenery and the old-style atmosphere. YMMV.
Old Jun 2, 2007, 7:29 am

You may want to rethink your choices, in my opinion Kauai is the most pristine and natural island, beauty lies around every bend in the road.

I recommend visiting Kauai, Maui, Oahu and saving the Big Island for another visit.
Old Jun 2, 2007, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BiziBB
Just beware you may have a maniac in a 4WD behind you, wanting to go 70MPH on the twisty bits. A little too fast for most people, IMO!
Were you in my trunk last visit??
Old Jun 2, 2007, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
Originally Posted by sonofzeus
Were you in my trunk last visit??
Did you have a green Toyota follow all the way, like I had? Definitely a Tundra V8 with a driver who should know better

I thought I was driving fast enough, but 60MPH+ around those bends wasn't fast enough!
Old Jun 3, 2007, 9:26 am

BiziBB...
How long were you on Oahu? You thought a week on Kauai was too long? (we're going for a week but that's including arriving at 9:30PM the earliest from the East coast so that in essence will be a "killed day"). Since it will be our second visit (first one was 5 nights where the last day was spent mainly at Wilcox ER... wouldn't count that as a day and arriving late from Hilo) I'm not sure if we'll feel it's "too long". Planning on major "chilling" this time around though.
How was the drive on Saddle Road? We went the northern route since we were staying at HWV and wanted to stop at Akaka Falls (had outbound flight from ITO the next afternoon after staying one night at VV) and we were "warned". Guess next time we'll try it (which will probably be our 3rd trip to Hawaii.. and will probably finally get to Maui then).
Any suggestions for "must does" on Kauai and Oahu? (we did a short drive to canyon last trip since Elizabeth was feeling ill that morning and we were trying to decide whether a trip to the ER was necessary <called her Ped. in CT to check since the hotel said there was NO walk in clinics in Poipu open -- Dec. 24th). Did a quick drive to Princeville and will probably drive up there again.
TIA>
Carolyn
Old Oct 23, 2007, 2:26 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA EXP & UA Gold
Need to kill 2 days--which island?

We are spending a week at our friend's timeshare Kaui (woo hoo!). But we can't get flights home for another 2 days after the timeshare stay is over.

Which island should we go to? Stay on LIH at another hotel? Go to KOA? Or the island that HNL is on (which is where our mainland flights leave from).

We are a family of 4; kids aged 7 & 9. Thanks for the tips!
Old Oct 23, 2007, 2:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
HNL is on Oahu. I'd go with Maui. It'll be a nice mix between the really laid back, lush feel of Kauai and the slightly more fast-paced, great beaches Maui.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 2:41 am

Programs: Scorched earth and base metal in everything these days
slippahs makes a good point.

But I'd offer that 2 days is a good amount of time for Oahu.

Take your children to the Arizona Memorial and the Polynesian Cultural Center (PCC). Bishop Museum and Iolani Palace. Learn something about our Islands.

Maybe a drive of the North Shore, or a surf lesson off Waikiki.
(OP didn't mention what time of year).

A hui hou!
Old Oct 23, 2007, 2:56 am

The 2 days would be August 31, 2008 to September 2, 2008.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 3:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
On the whole, Oahu will be easier to get to, esp. since you're flying to/from Oahu. But born and raised here, I might be a bit jaded. Still, I think Maui is the best (major) island in Hawaii.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 3:26 am

The wife wants to see an active volcano. On which island(s) can we see this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.