Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Which/how many Island(s) Should I Visit? What Order? How Long?" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Which/how many Island(s) Should I Visit? What Order? How Long?" thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2009, 8:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by Gynob001
Thank you all for the wonderful information. It looks like it is a tough call between Kauai and the big island! Thanks also for the Airline information. I would assume that Hawaii being a major tourist place, would require booking quite early for travel as well as for accommodation. Should I get started now for January/February travel?
Just to be clear, you can fly non-stop from the West coast (SFO and/or LAX) to Kauai on UA and AA (not sure about other airlines, though I have seen AK, DL and US planes at the airport), but I agree that economically, it usually (not always) makes sense to fly directly to HNL and then island hop.

In the current economy, you don't really have to plan far ahead for January/February travel to the islands, but if you see a good airfare, you should go for it.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 3:09 pm

Programs: Nada of note these days….
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
Just to be clear, you can fly non-stop from the West coast (SFO and/or LAX) to Kauai on UA and AA (not sure about other airlines, though I have seen AK, DL and US planes at the airport), but I agree that economically, it usually (not always) makes sense to fly directly to HNL and then island hop.

In the current economy, you don't really have to plan far ahead for January/February travel to the islands, but if you see a good airfare, you should go for it.
Don't forget that Alaska Air is now flying out of OAK, PDX and SEA to all the islands!
Old Aug 20, 2009, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by JPat
Don't forget that Alaska Air is now flying out of OAK, PDX and SEA to all the islands!
But they only fly non-stop from SEA (I think).
Old Aug 20, 2009, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
But they only fly non-stop from SEA (I think).
OAK-KOA & OGG begins in November, non-stop.

PDX-OGG is a non-stop.

So no, there are other non-stop flights to/from the Islands and PDX/OAK (in November) than just the extensive network of flights from SEA>
Old Aug 20, 2009, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by KenfromDE
Not to mention the time Zone/jet lag effect!
For me, it's worse going to the mainland than it is coming back. Usually traveling East is harder than traveling West, since by the time you get to your Western destination, you're so tired (it being late at night at your departure city), you're gone!
Old Aug 20, 2009, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by slippahs
OAK-KOA & OGG begins in November, non-stop.

PDX-OGG is a non-stop.

So no, there are other non-stop flights to/from the Islands and PDX/OAK (in November) than just the extensive network of flights from SEA>
But not from all three cities to all of the islands, which is what I was responding to and should have said.
Old Sep 5, 2009, 8:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO
Planning a first time Hawaii trip sometime for late Oct through early Dec for probably 8-12 days.

What would be the best island or islands to visit for active late 20s guys? We'd like probably a mixture of activities, but we'll get bored of the beach after a few days. We'd definitely be looking for a few days worth of aggressive hikes to remote or extreme destinations. My only restriction is that I don't swim, so there will be no water activities requiring swimming.

Edit: Kauai will definitely be on the list for at least half the time. The Kalalau Trail to the Napali Coast looks like a must-do for me. So now looking for probably a second island to pick for the other half.

Last edited by vxmike; Sep 5, 2009 at 9:54 pm
Old Sep 12, 2009, 3:01 pm

Programs: nada
Originally Posted by vxmike
Planning a first time Hawaii trip sometime for late Oct through early Dec for probably 8-12 days.

What would be the best island or islands to visit for active late 20s guys? We'd like probably a mixture of activities, but we'll get bored of the beach after a few days. We'd definitely be looking for a few days worth of aggressive hikes to remote or extreme destinations. My only restriction is that I don't swim, so there will be no water activities requiring swimming.
I just got back (yesterday) from a week on the big island and really enjoyed it. I'm 25 myself, and traveling solo. I found a pretty broad selection of hiking--from the rugged and open lava fields at volcano to steep with switchbacks and lots of shade on the northern side of the island. There are also some options for mountain hikes and multi-day backpacking in some areas.
Old Sep 13, 2009, 11:24 am

Programs: BA, DL, HA, etc
Smile

Originally Posted by travelsavant
The Big Isle - not so much due to active volcano: very arid, dry, lava-fields vs beaches & unless at a resort, no palm trees, no greenery & even the east-side is dry in comparison to all the other islands. I'm a "native" & I can not in good conscience recommend the Big Isle to a 1st time visitor, unless they are an avid golfer or a geologist.
I somewhat agree, and then not so much so

Yes, the first-time visitor to the state will have pre-conviened ideas of what Hawaii is all about. They will envision palm trees and lush valleys with cascading waterfalls and Kauai fits that image the best.

However, many visitors to Kona tell me that they also like the Big Island. They had visited Oahu because of Perl Harbor and were disappointed becaue they stayed downtown and only drove the island once. It was small and not quite what they expected. Then they went away fro years and years. Recently as they got older (we often get an older crowd at the condos/timeshare), they have now decided to come back to the islands and explore more. They may have included Maui and Kauai on a trip, they decided to try the Big Island.

I ask them which island they have been on. hey tell me Oahu, Maui and Kauai. I then offer that each of those island is different from each other and they redily agree. I then tell them that the Big Island is completely different from the rest.

We have 11 of the worlds 13 climate zones. We have waterfalls, yes even a palm tree or two, we are comprised of 5 volcanos (one more active than the rest), we have black sand beaches, blond sand beches, salt and pepper sand beaches and yes, even a green sand beach. We get snow (and sometimes have blizzards).

Although we often get small earthquakes (rarely felt by most) our 6.8 quake a few years ago rivals the better ones on the mainland

I give them day trip suggestions which cover 3 day trips. The first is to drive north along the Ironman course to see the top valley, Maui, the world's largest family ranch, lava flows, a lava tube, a petroglyph field, a view down the coast, perhaps whales (in season) and cactus. Actually that first trip is about 3/4 a day and I suggest topping it off at the Kona Brewing Company for a pizza and beer on Sunday night because they have live entertainment for free.

The second trip I suggest takes them down the west coast, past hundreds of Kona coffee farms to the Captain Cook monument (a little piece of England in the middle of the Pacific), then down the road to the Place of Refuge, where you MIGHT be saved from death if you had angered the King. Then on to the Painted Church (painted frescos which show heaven and earth scenes to the 'heathen' Hawaiians. Then it is on past macadamia nut farms, past the largest housing development in the US (however largely empty) past the southern-most point of the US and bypassing the green sand beach to a black sand beach with turtles. Then through the rest of the desert region where almost instantly you enter a rainforest and the Volcano National Park.

I have to admt the park is a great place to visit, even if there is not currently any lava flowing where you can walk to it. Then a drive back to the west side in time for dinner. If you had hurried you might have been able to stop at the winery and Original Hawaiian Chocolate Factory (where they grow and process chocolate).

The 3rd trip I suggest takes people back up towards the north, but then slipping through Parker Ranch (the large ranch). Unfortunately, you must bypass it due to time constraints, head down the East coast (perhaps making a quich detour to see the Waipio Valley from the overlook). By passing 2 botanical gardens, you do have time to see Akaka and kahuna falls, but must walk through the rainforst to see them. Those falls are not right along the road and require a detour. Then on into Hilo (the wettest city - about 200 inches of rain a year) with perhaps a detour to see Rainbow and Boiling Pots Falls and the Tsunami museaum. This is a good place for lunch then down to the PanaEwa Rainforest Zoo by 3:30 when the feed the white Bengal tiger. Its a smll zoo by most standards, but the animals are cool, well cared for and its free!

Then at the Kalapana side of the lava flow they open the road at 5pm where you can take a 45 mile walk in to see glowing in the sky and perhaps a spark or two. Some have seen fountains of lava before, but not recently. Could that all change soon? Absolutely! Madam Pele has her own timetable.

Then is is back along the same roadt to Hilo, getting gas and perhaps having dinner at Ken's House of Pancakes (open all night). The long drive back to Kona reminds you why they call it the Big Island.

Those are 3 drives that have esentually taken you (along with your inbound day), most of your week on the Big Island and you have not slowed down to even get on a beach or swum with manta rays at night...

There are the zip lines (which took the place of flumin the ditch), the drive across Saddle Road and perhaps a trip up to 14,000 feet to see the observatories. The top of Mauna Kea is the highest point in Hawaii and actually the tallest mountain/volcano in the world. Mt Everest is measured from its base, but Mauna Kea's and Mauna Loa's base are another 20,000 feet under water, making them 33,000 fett tall if you ignore them being half covered with water

The Big ISland is called "Big" because it is the size of the state of Conn (about 4,000 square miles) yet only has 150,000 residents on it. Most of them try to be laid back and most of the island is free from traffic and clutter of visitors. Few of the islands can boast that.

While I tell you of the wonders of the island it is not all paradise. We do get a bit of volcanic smog from the volcano. Some rental car companies still won't let you drive up to the top of the mountains or even on Saddle Road.

While possible to just sit in a hotel and relax, you really need to drive to get to mot of the location I mentioned above. Those drives can tire you and take time from your snorkling and shopping.

Kona has a nice selection fo shops, but even those are spread around. We are not up to Oahu, but do have K-Mart, Wal0-Mart, a new Target, even Ross and Macys. We don't do shopping centers and really only have 1 on island (in Hilo).

You must have a car to get around. There is a free bus that runs around most of the island, but takes forever and not really great for sightseeing and only gives you about 2 hours in Hilo if you try to use it to get there and back.

So we are not a small and convenient as other islands and may not offer the lushness of Kauai, the sheer shopping and people watching experience of Oahu or the wonders of Maui. However, I think in activities and things to see, we exceed those of other islands. That is, if you can do the drives and have the time.

My suggestion has always been t t ry to visit 2 islands a trip. perhaps Oahu and kauai, with 3 days on Oahu and perhaps 4 or 5 on Kauai. Another trip might be 3 days on Maui and at least 7 days or more on the Big Island.

While often ignored, You might find Lanai a nice change (I have never been there) and Molokai was great the 2 days or so I was there. Molokai is VERY laid back and you would not find many or any organized activities, but still may love the views and people and experience.

Each person brings to the state, a preconceived notion of what we are and what they want to do. Even 2 people traveling together may want to do completely different activities. You cannot please everybody and I tell them, take it as it comes. Plan some activities, do some research and explore. It's all good if you accept the fact that what you know about the state is probably only partly true.

So when people ask me which island they should visit, I have to ask them what they expect to see and how long they can visit. There really is no easy stock answer in my book and your mileage may differ.
Old Sep 13, 2009, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I would agree that the Big Island (locals told me they preferred "Island of Hawai'i") is a great place to visit. I took all 3 of those day trips in July, and two of them the last time I was there in 2004 (with active lava flows back then). There are marvelous natural sights and of course the only active volcano around.

But I'd still take Maui as my first choice and Kauai as about a tie for second (Oahu is a one-timer - had to see Pearl, Arizona, Big Mo, hike Diamond Head, snorkel Hanauma - but no need to go back now). ALl three island islands have similar scenic drives (Hana and all the way around, all the way around the north/west, up to Haleakala and the high country, both directions around Kauai). But Maui also has activities, kids things to do (if you have kids), water sports, and other items to round out the week. If you're purely looking for natural beauty - waterfalls, hiking, etc., etc. - all are about on par. I just think Maui has the more "normal" things to do to compliment.

I'm fortunate enough to be able to go every two years. After checking off Oahu, I've been pairing Maui with Kauai and the Big Island alternately. It's a tought choice, and one based on personal preferences and objectives, but that's where I ended up. (btw, I can't fathom Maui being a "couple of days" island - we did 10 this summer and still had a to-do list)
Old Oct 9, 2010, 6:19 pm

Smile Headed to Oahu Nov. 26 to Dec. 3

Hi everybody,

I just wanted to get some advice from all of you Hawaii experts. I actually just cashed in my mileage with American Airlines. Now I'm set to arrive at Honolulu International on November 26th and leave on December 3rd.

I wanted to get your opinion on whether I have time to visit two islands. I'm going with my girlfriend and we were thinking of checking out Maui. The question I have is where in Maui should I stay? I see different cities in Maui that appear to be popular (Lahaina, Kahului, Kihei, etc.).

I wanted to see if you guys think this was doable? Also, how many days between these two islands should I stay? I know there's a lot of things to do in Oahu (Pearl Harbor, Polynesian Cultural Center, etc.), but what about Maui? Is there any must see places?

Thanks for all your help in advance.
Old Oct 9, 2010, 8:55 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Delta SkyMiles, Fairmont President's Club ,Marriott Rewards,
One week...one Island
Old Oct 9, 2010, 9:29 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Mayday981
Hi everybody,

I just wanted to get some advice from all of you Hawaii experts. I actually just cashed in my mileage with American Airlines. Now I'm set to arrive at Honolulu International on November 26th and leave on December 3rd.

I wanted to get your opinion on whether I have time to visit two islands. I'm going with my girlfriend and we were thinking of checking out Maui. The question I have is where in Maui should I stay? I see different cities in Maui that appear to be popular (Lahaina, Kahului, Kihei, etc.).

I wanted to see if you guys think this was doable? Also, how many days between these two islands should I stay? I know there's a lot of things to do in Oahu (Pearl Harbor, Polynesian Cultural Center, etc.), but what about Maui? Is there any must see places?

Thanks for all your help in advance.
You have time for two islands - but I can't recommend the second island without knowing what sort of environment and activities you're looking for. Hiking, snorkeling, boating, golf, tennis, driving tours, stargazing, photography? Do you want a quiet, rural, laid-back place or something more urban and sophisticated? On the beaten track, or off?
Old Nov 2, 2010, 11:11 am

Programs: AA PLAT, *wood Gold, Marriott Silver
First time Hawaii visit: Maui or Kauai?

I'm planning a trip from DFW to Hawaii for my wifes 40th birthday. We're interested in sightseeing, relaxing by the beach and some moderate hiking and outdoor activities.

I originally looked only at Maui, since there are direct flights from DFW. However, I'm wondering if Kauai is a better fit.

Any thoughts from the group? Help me decide and choose a place to stay.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 11:35 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
In general, Kaua`i is very laid back and quiet (save all the roosters crowing). It's a good place to go if you just want to relax and do some daytime activities.

Maui is a little more urban with some very built up tourist areas and has more nocturnal attractions, along with all the things one can do during the day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.