Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Which/how many Island(s) Should I Visit? What Order? How Long?" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Which/how many Island(s) Should I Visit? What Order? How Long?" thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2011, 7:44 pm

First Visit: Big Island vs. Maui

First off - I'm loving Flyertalk!! Because of frequenting this space, I've been able to get 5 R/T tickets to HNL for my family (my wife and our 3 kids - aged 12, 14, and 16).

We're planning to spend just a day or two in HNL, and then the remaining 6 days on either the Big Island or on Maui. This is our first visit to the Hawaiian Islands.

Looking for recommendations on which island might be better for us - and possible activities.

We're planning to rent a house or condo - and leaning toward the house vs. the condo (our kids seem set on being in a house).

My wife and I would like a place that is a bit "off the beaten path", although still close to activities. Our kids are very active teenagers - and they would like to have access to beaches/water activities/adventures/etc.

Our trip is planned for the end of October (23rd - 30th). Right now we're leaning toward the Big Island, although we've went back and forth on that.

Any suggestions/tips/etc would be awesome!

Thanks!!
Old Aug 28, 2011, 7:57 pm

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
Personally, I love the Big Island. It is one of my favorite places, because it is not crowded and very laid back. There is no nightlife, but many activities. I've gone snorkeling, rode ATV's, whalewatchng, sailing, fishing, hiking, even went to Mauna Kea and watched the sunset surrounded by snow. You can't lose regardless of which island you choose, Maui is very beautiful and more of a nightlife.

If you are looking to rent, I have used vrbo.com with good success. I like staying near Waikola Village on the Big Island and also hang out at the Hilton, you are near shopping, beaches and they have shuttles to take you to many activities.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 9:03 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat HH Diamond
Agree with the above poster. They are so different, but both beautiful. Having lived on the Big Island for five years, and been to Maui many times, if you plan to beach it every day, I would probably choose Maui. Maui has much better beaches, that are more early accessible. The BI has wonderful beaches too, just not as many, and can be harder to get to. The BI is less crowded, most climate zones are evident, and easily traveled. AND has an ACTIVE volcano. Think the kids would like that?
Old Aug 29, 2011, 5:45 pm

Thanks!! We're looking at a couple of places on the BI right now - and leaning that way. The volcano definitely sounds fun to visit.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 7:28 pm

Programs: AK, DL,UA
Six days is tight for the Big Island. You will definitely not get to do / see everything. I recommend a minimum of 10 days to visit here, 2 weeks is ideal.

Probably be better off on Maui for 6 day visit, its a much smaller island and would require much less driving. VRBO is a great way to score a house or condo.

And don't rule out Kula as a place to stay on Maui. Although its far from the beaches, it is away from the crowds, has fantastic views, and is much closer to Haleakala NP.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 7:45 pm

Programs: PLT AA 2MM, Silver US, DL, NW
volcano

There are many great beaches on Maui and on Oahu (north shore especially.
Only One Volcano. Go BI.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 10:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Love both islands as we've frequented both islands for the past 8 years..

Maui is definitely more relaxing and optimal for a nice family vacation.. we especially like our stays in Wailea.. imo the most beautiful part of all the islands.. the vacations there are heavenly (hence Kea Lani.. meaning heavenly white).

Love the big island for the adventure that the island provides.. besides the volcano, the island lends itself to the world's best stargazing.. as more than 90% of the nights on the summit is crystal clear for optimal viewing of stars.. no where on earth except one other place that is arguably close (Belize?).. will allow you the opportunity to star gaze.. There is an observatory visitor centre and two or three weekly scheduled trips up the summit..

The BI also lends itself to the most ecosystems on one island on earth.. from desert conditions, to lush..

But the excitement of new land being created everyday, is an awesome sight to behold..
Old Sep 2, 2011, 5:23 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Delta SkyMiles, Fairmont President's Club ,Marriott Rewards,
How many Nights?

For the second Island to visit..... How many nights do you have?
For your short visit to Hawaii, I would do only one Island.
If you insist on two......then Maui.
Big Island is too vast for your proposed stay....especially you are talking seeing both sides??
Your desire to be close to things , yet off the beaten track...doesn't jive. On the Big Island (and it's BIG)..it is one or the other for the most part.
Plus, you want to be in a safe, secure area where tourists frequent.
Save the BIg Island for when you have enough time . (at Least 7-10 days)...otherwise you will be spending half the time in your rental vehicle.( So much for the house)
Visit Maui...your kids will love you!
Old Sep 2, 2011, 8:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Executrip
Big Island is too vast for your proposed stay....especially you are talking seeing both sides??
Your desire to be close to things , yet off the beaten track...doesn't jive. On the Big Island (and it's BIG)..it is one or the other for the most part.
Save the BIg Island for when you have enough time . (at Least 7-10 days)...otherwise you will be spending half the time in your rental vehicle.( So much for the house)
ime.. it takes just as long to drive around BI as it does Maui..

Just with Maui, the road to Hana is like 15 or 20 mph.. and driving south Maui, you've got to be careful with the single lane roads that go up the hill..

Big Island you're mainly on highways with speed limits 55 to 65 mph..
Old Sep 4, 2011, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by Executrip
Thanks!!! After all the great thoughts here, we've decided on Maui - and a big factor was the time we'd have there, and the proximity of things.

Appreciate very much all the great thoughts - thanks everyone!!

Now...to choose a luau...
Old Sep 4, 2011, 11:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by lance02
Thanks!!! After all the great thoughts here, we've decided on Maui - and a big factor was the time we'd have there, and the proximity of things.

Congrats.. an excellent choice for an awesome relaxing vacation.. If you can, choose a hotel in Wailea.. out of this world..

Hands down.. "Old Lahaina Luau"

Authentic, and you can't get a discount.. that is unless you take a timeshare presentation.. With your time on Maui limited.. just pay for it and go..
Old Sep 5, 2011, 5:20 pm

Programs: Marriot Plat Prem, Hyatt Diamond, AA EP

Maui no ka oi!

Feast at Lele - Great Luau, I recommend to all visitors. I even go once or twice a year.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 1:08 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ekardz
Maui no ka oi!

Feast at Lele - Great Luau, I recommend to all visitors. I even go once or twice a year.
There is a restaurant we visited that opens itself to the Feast at Lele show without paying the exhorbitant prices.. It used to be Pecocks, and now its some sort of local type cafe.. can't remember the name (It's a female name sort of like Melissa)..
Old Sep 7, 2011, 11:34 am

Programs: BA, DL, HA, etc

Our trip is planned for the end of October (23rd - 30th). Right now we're leaning toward the Big Island, although we've went back and forth on that.
I don't have the calendar in front of me, but October on the Big Island can have some problems if you end up here the week before or the week of Ironman! Kona becomes a second city and there are no accomodations or rental cars available.

As for driving around the Big Island, I used to pass out a set of Kona-centric suggestions for people to see the island in 3 drives. I'll have to reformat that and post it somewhere.

Generally, you arrive one day (and have dinner and settle in).

One trip takes you 1/2 to 3/4 day and goes from Kona to Kohala and Hawi to the Pololu Valley then down through Waimea to Kona,.

The second day trip takes you up the mountain to the Waipio Valley, Kahuna/Akaka Falls, Hilo and perhaps the Zoo (see the white bengal tiger) then for a long night, Kalapana to perhaps see lava flowing. Then back home.

The third day trip takes you south through the coffee fields, the desert, black sand beach, the rainforest and volcano park. If you want to get an early start, see the Place of refuge, kealakekua bay, Painted Church and the green sand beach too.

Although they sound daunting, it is easy to do most of each trip without rushing too much. Sometimes you must pick and choose certain options based upon family wishes. The zoo can take hours and may be substituted for Kapalana, etc.

At least 1 day will be spent shopping and 1 day spent on the beach. You should not that it usually only takes an hour or two to burn, so you don't need days to get that "I went to Hawaii" look :-).

I also suggest some other activities and places to stop. There is a slack key jam session one night, a town stroll and even live music at the Kona Brewing Company (a family place with pizza and beer).

Even with 7 days on the Big Island and at least 3 days of driving all day, you still have not seen many of the great places or visited the summit of Mauna Kea or done much snorkling, or flown over the volcano or deep sea fishing for billfish or seen the dolphins and whales close up. Sigh, you will miss most of that I am afraid.

I suggest a Big Island trip gives you an inkling and encourges you to come back to rural Hawaii.

Last edited by Lavarock7; Sep 7, 2011 at 11:49 am
Old Sep 7, 2011, 10:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Lavarock7
I suggest a Big Island trip gives you an inkling and encourges you to come back to rural Hawaii.
Not to mention the nut, coffee, chocolate and vanilla factory experiences, .. as well as paniolo ranch hospitality..^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.