Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Oct 8, 2020, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: slippahs
//TOPIC CHECK - STAY ON TOPIC//

Aloha - as a reminder to all, FT's rules specifically state: "FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting." FlyinHawaiian and I recognize that it is easy to intertwine political commentary with the policies advanced by politicians that affect travel to Hawaii. However, we ask that you keep in mind the nature of this Hawaii forum and focus your attention on the policies and their impact on travel to/from/within Hawaii. Commentary about Hawaii's politicians are off-topic, belong in the OMNI forum, and will be deleted if posted on this thread. We ask for your kokua and cooperation. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Mahalo,

slippahs, Hawaii forum co-moderator

Print Wikipost

When will Hawaii re-open for tourism?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2020, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
All it takes is one person ignoring precautions and procedures to create a bubble of infection. I would expect the Maui bubble occurred because an asymptomatic individual brought it over or had a flare-up, perhaps transmitted to another person who remained asymptomatic and so on until someone actually developed symptoms. If this were a zombie virus we could see who was infected and contain it but it's hard to do with something that spreads unpredictably.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2020, 1:40 pm

Programs: Marriott Ti, OW Ruby
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
A I would expect the Maui bubble occurred because an asymptomatic individual brought it over
What makes you think it was a visitor who triggered this particular hot spot?
Old Aug 28, 2020, 2:39 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
I forget the females name on this mornings news but she made the point of reminding everyone that many live in multi generation homes. I don’t and kind of forget about that. I still don’t think we are close to reopening and Hawaii will be in the economy toilet. Sucks, big time.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2020, 2:48 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
Originally Posted by tattikat2
What makes you think it was a visitor who triggered this particular hot spot?
I don't see anything in the post you quoted specific to tourists. We know from Gov's press conferences a while back that returning residents were seeding clusters, and there have been more of those than tourists. But we did have the infection rate down close to zero for a while, so it seems likelier that we re-seeded from outside than inside.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2020, 6:00 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver, ANA MC, HH Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC, Hertz PC
I would expect the Maui bubble occurred because an asymptomatic individual brought it over
Originally Posted by WrightHI
I don't see anything in the post you quoted specific to tourists. We know from Gov's press conferences a while back that returning residents were seeding clusters, and there have been more of those than tourists. But we did have the infection rate down close to zero for a while, so it seems likelier that we re-seeded from outside than inside.
I would guess the underlined words above were what gave the impression that it came from a tourist or visitor.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2020, 8:09 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by denver19
I am making my business plans now with the thought that we aren't open, without a 14 day quarantine, until late spring. Maui has no political leadership, and is in a very bad place right now.
it just isn't Maui, it's the whole state.

If Trump/Pence didn't intercede this week and rush in resources into Honolulu, including putting the Surgeon General in place to get a handle on DOH, we would have been even worse off.

Originally Posted by hawaii-bound
CanoeHouse is back open as is Merrimans.
i went to both in the last few days. Canoe House was quiet enough to warrant only 1 server (on top of management/chef that served.) At Merriman's, I was one of 7 in the entire place.

If you're local, go out to eat. Because I don't know how much longer they can stay open without any visitors.

Originally Posted by Maglev
The filming has been put off for now:

https://mauinow.com/2020/08/20/break...qF_qSMIw9g4K-A
Filming is back on. The governor and mayor declared film/TV industry is exempt from the rules everyone else needs to follow because of the "financial resources they're equipped with."
ksucats and ExplorerWannabe like this.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Aug 29, 2020 at 3:51 am Reason: consecutive posts merged
Old Aug 28, 2020, 9:02 pm

Programs: AA-Plat
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
i went to both in the last few days. Canoe House was quiet enough to warrant only 1 server (on top of management/chef that served.) At Merriman's, I was one of 7 in the entire place.

If you're local, go out to eat. Because I don't know how much longer they can stay open without any visitors.
Agreed. We have been to Merriman's for the past 2 Fridays and try to get to Seafood Bar at least once a week as well. We go to CanoeHouse a bit less often because we usually go out to lunch or happy hour. You must be located on the Kohala Coast as well, glad you are supporting local. Merrimans should do okay but they will need to adjust their hours for locals. Only visitors would go out to dinner in the 7:30pm timeframe, most of the local clientele is on Hawaii time - get up early, go to bed early.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2020, 9:53 pm

All it takes is one person ignoring precautions and procedures to create a bubble of infection. I would expect the Maui bubble occurred because an asymptomatic individual brought it over or had a flare-up, perhaps transmitted to another person who remained asymptomatic and so on until someone actually developed symptoms. If this were a zombie virus we could see who was infected and contain it but it's hard to do with something that spreads unpredictably.
There's currently 2 clusters in Maui, one at Maui Memorial Hospital which for now seems to have stopped growing in size with no new related cases to that cluster reported for at least a couple of days, and a 2nd one at an assisted living facility. We don't really have any visibility into how those clusters started. There's a fair amount of community spread on Maui, some of it has been tourism related, which could mean people flying in from Oahu as well as other places. Unfortunately we don't have a lot of transparency here.

I really don't think it's worth speculating about it either way with the lack of data and transparency here.

We know there's travel related cases and we know there's community spread and we know there's two large clusters right now. That is pretty much all we know.

-David

-
Old Aug 28, 2020, 9:56 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by hawaii-bound
Agreed. We have been to Merriman's for the past 2 Fridays and try to get to Seafood Bar at least once a week as well. We go to CanoeHouse a bit less often because we usually go out to lunch or happy hour. You must be located on the Kohala Coast as well, glad you are supporting local. Merrimans should do okay but they will need to adjust their hours for locals. Only visitors would go out to dinner in the 7:30pm timeframe, most of the local clientele is on Hawaii time - get up early, go to bed early.
I went to the Seafood Bar 2 weeks ago and was very surprised how busy it was; I was able to grab the last table, which was outside. Food waa good and service was nice.

I've done Merriman's 1x, Canoe House 3x, Roy's 4x, Tropics Ale House 4x, Shionoas 4x, Tommy Bahamas 1x, Waikoloa Theatre 2x, Foster's Kitchen 1x, Napua 4x, Pueo's Osteria 7x, and Seafood Bar 1x in the last month. I miss Manta, KPC, Ulu, Hualalai Grille, and the great resort brunches. And the countless cultural or charity events that were held along the coast.
hawaii-bound likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2020, 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by Nagasaki Joe
I would guess the underlined words above were what gave the impression that it came from a tourist or visitor.
The point is that “asymptomatic individual brought it over” shouldn’t be construed as “tourist brought it over.” Travel from areas with a lot of cases is a risk factor, whether the traveler is a tourist or a resident, and the quarantine affects all of us, whether would-be tourist or resident. I have my issues with some of what the state and counties are doing, but the repeated implications here that quarantine is something being done to tourists because of some sort of animus are off-base.
747FC and ExplorerWannabe like this.
Old Aug 28, 2020, 10:59 pm

Yeah, Surgeon General appears to have been in town for something at PACOM and done a couple of Covid-related appearances while he was here.
Old Aug 28, 2020, 11:26 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
I know my opinion isn’t popular but the resumption of filming brings back 140 employees, plus the contractors hired. I’m sure they are grateful as unemployment doesn’t pay the bills. COVID-19 sucks but not paying your bills is worse.
LIH Prem, ksucats and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Aug 29, 2020, 1:09 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
it just isn't Maui, it's the whole state.

If Trump/Pence didn't intercede this week and rush in resources into Honolulu, including putting the Surgeon General in place to get a handle on DOH, we would have been even worse off.
I did find it a bit unusual that the Surgeon General had so much Hawaii air time this week, but what evidence do you have that his presence was not requested by the Ige administration vs. Trump/Pence interceding?

In any case, the SG was a much more compelling figure than Bruce Anderson and Sarah Park.
Old Aug 29, 2020, 1:38 am

Programs: UA, Some Others
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
I know my opinion isn’t popular but the resumption of filming brings back 140 employees, plus the contractors hired. I’m sure they are grateful as unemployment doesn’t pay the bills. COVID-19 sucks but not paying your bills is worse.
It's a more popular opinion than you think. Its a perfect trial for bringing in people. And putting people back to work.
The mayor will have to be aware of those that want the trial to fail, but if they keep their eye on the project, and really babysit it, it can be a model for restarting.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2020, 3:07 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by denver19
It also speaks to the utter lack of any possibility of reopening. Any thought of October 1 is a misrepresentation, because since the shutdown in March, they haven't prepared any plan to reopen, the first step of which would be to stockpile PPE supplies. So the re-opening is just a shiny object: "Look over here".
By December, do you think we will at least have inter-island travel back w/o quarantine like we had earlier in the summer? If not, there goes my Marriott Cat 7 cert used at Cat 8 before devaluation and this year's Ritz-Carlton Club upgrade cert.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Aug 29, 2020 at 6:01 am Reason: Let's not post inflammatory / overly-political remarks in this forum, please

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.