Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Oct 8, 2020, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: slippahs
//TOPIC CHECK - STAY ON TOPIC//

Aloha - as a reminder to all, FT's rules specifically state: "FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting." FlyinHawaiian and I recognize that it is easy to intertwine political commentary with the policies advanced by politicians that affect travel to Hawaii. However, we ask that you keep in mind the nature of this Hawaii forum and focus your attention on the policies and their impact on travel to/from/within Hawaii. Commentary about Hawaii's politicians are off-topic, belong in the OMNI forum, and will be deleted if posted on this thread. We ask for your kokua and cooperation. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Mahalo,

slippahs, Hawaii forum co-moderator

Print Wikipost

When will Hawaii re-open for tourism?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2020, 10:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
Green is Hawaii's biggest flip flopper so take what he says with a grain of salt. Two weeks ago he was calling for total lockdown of Oahu, Maui, and Hawaii. Yesterday, he was complaining the Oahu lockdown is too strict.

Last week he was pushing for the transpacific travel ban to run through November. Yesterday, he said there should be a 3-week test of a testing program for interisland travelers, using that to inform how the transpacific testing program would work. So if that was to start next week, that would mean no 10/1 for transpacific.

He is as useless as Ige.
I don't vote here, but I appreciate Dr. Green's efforts to combat the virus and re-open Hawaii for tourism. He is clearly working hard and I respect him for also working at the hospital a couple of days every week. I like politicans who are willing to change their minds when situations change and/or when new data comes to light. It seems like that is what he is doing now with regards to the virus specifically, and reopening Hawaii for tourism
Old Sep 12, 2020, 12:05 am

Programs: UA
Got another update from Mauna Lani that they're postponing their opening from Oct 1 to Nov 1.
At least there's no change fee for flights these days.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 12:34 am

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
On another note, Lt. Governor Josh Green has tested positive for COVID19.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 12:37 am

Originally Posted by a5un
Got another update from Mauna Lani that they're postponing their opening from Oct 1 to Nov 1.
At least there's no change fee for flights these days.
They announced that a while ago. While I was there last night, I asked them if they were pushing it out to late November or later based on what the Maui resorts were doing and they said that decision hasn't been made yet.
denver19 likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 7:54 pm

( Sorry, I accidentally edited this post, trying to restore it. )

He's an ER doctor, speaks his mind openly, sometimes changes his mind and admits it. I think most people in Hawaii wish he was leading the effort here, And now he's tested positive for Covid. Apparently his driver (from the Sheriff's department) and driver's wife are positive and he spent 1.5 hours in the car with him.

https://www.civilbeat.org/2020/09/lt...rently-at-all/

But we're digressing and responding to Weatherboy's politics, which we really can't do here. Can we bet Weatherboy a case of Longboard (or any local beer of his choice) that he can't make it a week without introducing politics into a post in this forum?

-David
ExpatExp, denver19 and 747FC like this.

Last edited by LIH Prem; Sep 22, 2020 at 8:23 pm
Old Sep 13, 2020, 12:12 am

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
He's an ER doctor, speaks his mind openly, sometimes changes his mind and admits it. I think most people in Hawaii wish he was leading the effort here, And now he's tested positive for Covid. Apparently his driver (from the Sheriff's department) and driver's wife are positive and he spent 1.5 hours in the car with him.

https://www.civilbeat.org/2020/09/lt...rently-at-all/

But we're digressing and responding to Weatherboy's politics, which we really can't do here. Can we bet Weatherboy a case of Longboard (or any local beer of his choice) that he can't make it a week without introducing politics into a post in this forum?

-David
This forum is about Hawaii opening in a COVID era. None of Hawaii's actions and decisions are rooted in science: it is entirely politics with decisions being made by politicians .
Old Sep 13, 2020, 5:54 pm

This forum is about Hawaii opening in a COVID era. None of Hawaii's actions and decisions are rooted in science: it is entirely politics with decisions being made by politicians .
It's ok to discuss events without your personal opinions of the politicians. If you want to do that, there's another forum for it. I'm sure you understand the difference.

-David
ExpatExp likes this.

Last edited by LIH Prem; Sep 13, 2020 at 5:59 pm
Old Sep 13, 2020, 7:03 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
I'm not sure if you have ever studied science, or for that matter, logic. It is incomprehensible that any thinking person would say that HI's actions had nothing to do with science. I keep trying to ignore your posts, but I feel it is a disservice to let your ill-informed remarks stand without retort.
ExpatExp likes this.

Last edited by 747FC; Sep 14, 2020 at 12:13 am
Old Sep 14, 2020, 1:56 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by 747FC
I'm not sure if you have ever studied science, or for that matter, logic. It is incomprehensible that any thinking person would say that HI's actions had nothing to do with science. I keep trying to ignore your posts, but I feel it is a disservice to let your ill-informed remarks stand without retort.
Seems a little harsh. Trying times and your idea of facts and his may both be wrong or correct. Locally Nextdoor is lit up with unhinged opinions. Not at all productive. Fun to read, but that’s about it.
nnn and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 9:07 am

Programs: AS 75K
Alright.... so, it's football season again and after a day of losing sports betting I need something else to gamble on.

Let's say you have $100 to put down on whether or not Hawaii holds to the 10/1 quarantine exemption with a negative Covid test - Yes or No???

For some reason this time feels a bit different. There are a lot of stories about how much the locals are struggling and businesses are closing. After the spike, the number of new cases is on a downswing. Also, the past few months Ige was hinting about delays and I haven't heard much of anything this month (have I missed something?).

I'd put my (pretend) $100 on them keeping the date but I'm often a terrible gambler.

What do you think?
Old Sep 14, 2020, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by 747FC
As an award-winning journalist-scientist living in Hawaii and currently serving on the executive board of the press club here, I would clearly disagree with that.

The only data-driven, science rationale behind any policy was ironically shared by Lt. Governor Josh Green last week: he said 150 is the magic number of daily new cases that overwhelms the capacity of the healthcare system in Oahu (and when Oahu is overwhelmed, so is the state.) And he said at that level, not only can the islands not open up for tourists, but strict lock-down measures need to be made to bring the number down below 150. Green expanded by talking about what 150 new cases does in terms of eventual hits to the state with regards to hospitalizations ...and deaths. In the 6 months of the public health crisis, I haven't heard much in the way of metrics or science rationale behind policy moves.

As an example, what's the scientific rationale that says cast & crew for "Temptation Island" can safely test their way into Maui without a quarantine, but residents can't? Why can Target sell shirts and hold hundreds of customers, yet a shop in Honolulu that could limit access to their store to a few shoppers at a time can't? Why can't a single person sit by himself on a beach within 50 yards of anyone on the Big Island, yet Kai Kahele can participate in a funeral service attended by more than 400? Why can't a mother and child go to the beach in Waikiki, but two guys holding fishing poles can? Why can a bar that never served food before remain open and be "safe" if they sell pre-made sandwiches? What was the rationale for clamping down on interisland flights...only to open them up again...only to clamp them down again. Beyond Green's 150-person metric, what was the rationale for those decisions? What is the science driving opening the state to tourists on September 1 ...to now October 1 ...to whenever? What is the science, or even the logic, of releasing criminals from jails so they can re-offend and go back to jail, possibly bringing COVID with them? What was the science-rooted decision making that left the Veteran's Home in Hilo a big hotspot, with nearly every patient and staffer testing positive for the virus, killing at least 10 of them to date? Dr. Bruce Anderson isn't a fan of contact tracing; he's repeatedly said it isn't a good mitigation strategy, which is why his department dragged their feet in hiring any ...and lied about hiring them along the way. What's the science in that?
JNelson113, Arthurrs, nnn and 9 others like this.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 11:28 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
I think it would be great if both journalists and politicians were guided by science. Getting back to tourism, it seems to me that October 1st is unlikely…

Originally Posted by mtofell
Let's say you have $100 to put down on whether or not Hawaii holds to the 10/1 quarantine exemption with a negative Covid test - Yes or No??? For some reason this time feels a bit different. There are a lot of stories about how much the locals are struggling and businesses are closing. After the spike, the number of new cases is on a downswing. Also, the past few months Ige was hinting about delays and I haven't heard much of anything this month (have I missed something?). I'd put my (pretend) $100 on them keeping the date but I'm often a terrible gambler. What do you think?
I go for no, and that it will get extended until November 1st. But I'm a terrible gambler too
Old Sep 14, 2020, 11:48 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
As an award-winning journalist-scientist living in Hawaii and currently serving on the executive board of the press club here, I would clearly disagree with that.
Mike,

We will just have to agree to disagree.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Not sure what there is to disagree about - Weatherboy has highlighted the need for scientific, data-driven policy and pointed out the lack of such currently.

This is clearly relevant to the topic of this thread (When will Hawaii re-open for tourism?).

If the leadership of the Islands cannot use or is unable to use data driven approaches, it will continue to impact the potential re-opening of Hawaii to tourist activity.

David
Old Sep 14, 2020, 12:11 pm

Another interesting thing impacting Hawaii revenue/tourism: property taxes. Many of the large resorts around the state stopped paying their mortgages. And many also stopped paying their property taxes too.

As an example, in Hawaii County, the big resorts on the Kohala coast negotiated with the county to delay the August property tax bills to December. But the properties need revenue from tourists to pay the tax bill due. They hoped with a 9/1 opening, a few months of tourists would help fund those outstanding bills. But with the opening delayed by at least a month, there's growing concern the resorts won't be able to pay the tax bills. The resorts drive a large part of the county budgets.

And then what happens?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.