Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

When will Hawaii re-open for tourism?

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Oct 8, 2020, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: slippahs
//TOPIC CHECK - STAY ON TOPIC//

Aloha - as a reminder to all, FT's rules specifically state: "FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting." FlyinHawaiian and I recognize that it is easy to intertwine political commentary with the policies advanced by politicians that affect travel to Hawaii. However, we ask that you keep in mind the nature of this Hawaii forum and focus your attention on the policies and their impact on travel to/from/within Hawaii. Commentary about Hawaii's politicians are off-topic, belong in the OMNI forum, and will be deleted if posted on this thread. We ask for your kokua and cooperation. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Mahalo,

slippahs, Hawaii forum co-moderator

Print Wikipost

When will Hawaii re-open for tourism?

Old Aug 29, 2020, 5:52 am

Programs: None - previously UA
The main issue driving spread on Hawaii is quarantine is or was not properly implemented. People were not isolating away from everyone including family etc.
ExplorerWannabe likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2020, 8:20 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
The main issue driving spread on Hawaii is quarantine is or was not properly implemented. People were not isolating away from everyone including family etc.
I tend to agree, 100% compliance when I go to the store, but 0% at home. I dont want it, I dont hang with anyone now. I have to meet with a client this morning and mask will be worn, if the client feels offended he can hire someone else.

Originally Posted by msp3
By December, do you think we will at least have inter-island travel back w/o quarantine like we had earlier in the summer? If not, there goes my Marriott Cat 7 cert used at Cat 8 before devaluation and this year's Ritz-Carlton Club upgrade cert.
I wouldnt count on it but I dont blame you for hoping its back. Im burning hotel points for my wife and kids at the moment, super cheap for most places on the mainland. If I didnt have unused flight credits with UA Id burn those miles as well. The good news is the beaches and parking are a non issue now, scary actually in very little activity. The bad news is all the closed restaurants and retail stores, which makes things a little boring for vacation intended travelers.
I want to go to Oahu for a day and spend time at Pearl Harbor, but the quarantine on return to Maui makes that impractical.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Sep 2, 2020 at 4:48 am Reason: consecutive posts merged
Old Aug 29, 2020, 8:48 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
I know my opinion isn’t popular but the resumption of filming brings back 140 employees, plus the contractors hired. I’m sure they are grateful as unemployment doesn’t pay the bills. COVID-19 sucks but not paying your bills is worse.
Originally Posted by denver19
It's a more popular opinion than you think. Its a perfect trial for bringing in people. And putting people back to work.
The mayor will have to be aware of those that want the trial to fail, but if they keep their eye on the project, and really babysit it, it can be a model for restarting.
Except the Temptation Island cast and crew are not subject to the same quarantine rules as everyone else. Why should they get special treatment when not even returning residents can get this special “modified” quarantine? The rules for Temptation Island:

https://mauinow.com/2020/08/28/break...deZUeOnPcwBln4
  • All cast and crew flying to Maui will be required to take a COVID-19 test 72 hours prior to their flight. Only cast/crew who test negative will be permitted to fly to Maui.
  • All cast/crew will be transported directly to the Andaz Resort to complete their modified 7-day quarantine. (1) Food is brought to their rooms and left outside the door.
  • Hotel staff will not enter the cast/crew hotel rooms for the first seven days. After that they will only enter the rooms when the occupant is not there.
  • All cast/crew will be tested on day 5 and 6. Once both PCR test results return negative and they complete their modified 7-day quarantine, they will be allowed to work on the production.

Plus there are many reports of crew being out in public; restaurants, stores etc the day after arriving. So not much quarantine happening, Yet another example of the corrupt leadership in Hawaii. You can bet someone’s pockets got lined for this.
Old Aug 29, 2020, 9:22 am

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
In their August investor call, Park Hotels & Resorts, which owns both the Hilton Waikoloa Village and Hilton Hawaiian Village, said they expect to have all of their properties open by 1/1/21 except for 2. In looking over their suspended property list, it looks like the biggest closed property is the New York Hilton. Other Hiltons and Hyatts they own around the country seem to be reopened or reopening soon.

Does anyone have insight on whether the 2 properties they expect to shutter for the rest of the year are their Hawaii ones?
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2020, 9:42 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by tattikat2
What makes you think it was a visitor who triggered this particular hot spot?
Originally Posted by WrightHI
I don't see anything in the post you quoted specific to tourists. We know from Gov's press conferences a while back that returning residents were seeding clusters, and there have been more of those than tourists. But we did have the infection rate down close to zero for a while, so it seems likelier that we re-seeded from outside than inside.
Originally Posted by Nagasaki Joe
I would guess the underlined words above were what gave the impression that it came from a tourist or visitor.
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
There's currently 2 clusters in Maui, one at Maui Memorial Hospital which for now seems to have stopped growing in size with no new related cases to that cluster reported for at least a couple of days, and a 2nd one at an assisted living facility. We don't really have any visibility into how those clusters started. There's a fair amount of community spread on Maui, some of it has been tourism related, which could mean people flying in from Oahu as well as other places. Unfortunately we don't have a lot of transparency here.
-
The point is that asymptomatic individual brought it over shouldnt be construed as tourist brought it over. Travel from areas with a lot of cases is a risk factor, whether the traveler is a tourist or a resident, and the quarantine affects all of us, whether would-be tourist or resident. I have my issues with some of what the state and counties are doing, but the repeated implications here that quarantine is something being done to tourists because of some sort of animus are off-base.
I specifically said asymptomatic individual NOT tourist or visitor because I know from my family and friends that the spread in the islands seems to come primarily from infected residents. However, in addition to the litany above, we do know the following:
- The Wuhan coronavirus was not endemic to Maui or even the state of Hawaii. It had to be imported by infected individuals.
- Individuals can be infected and not show or feel symptoms and they can spread it to others. All it takes is one infected indvidual violating the protocols to sustain the viral spread or reinfect the population.
- The math is simple, multiplicative, and transitive. Any increase in contact from outside a bubble increases the odds of exposure and subsequent transmission inside the bubble. If case count went down to near zero for a period of time then suddenly spiked, odds are significantly greater that the virus was reimported. Ask a virologist if the the virus could have lain dormant for weeks in the resident population (as I said, it could been circulating from asymptomatic individual to asymptomatic individual to ... etc. until the spike occurred) but SOMETHING happened to cause the new spike.
- If you want to prevent new spikes, you can impose an indeterminate quarantine between presumed "safe" population and people from outside the "safe" population with unknown status or you can impose draconian testing frequent enough and long enough to presumably stamp out a dormant virus and verify the population is "safe". The first attacks the economy and the second attacks constitutional privacy protections. In the middle of the extremes is risk management.
WrightHI likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2020, 9:43 am

Location: SoCal; DO-RAGS: Old Gold tagged, PIP, LatPass 1/2, AA 4MM, HH LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, Omni
Every day this week, cancelling two weeks/two islands in early November has been on my to-do list. Can't seem to pull the trigger, although I know that pulling the Band-Aid off quickly beats looking at the COVID numbers daily and dying a death by a thousand cuts. I note that the Mauna Kea Hotel is still taking reservations, so I'm not the only one dying by degrees. With all our reservations re-depositable, my little problems aren't a hill of beans in comparison to what many islanders are experiencing. My heart goes out, not only to our Hawaii-based friends, but to the larger FT community and to the entire State.

Maybe I can push inertia aside and unwind the trip...tomorrow.
747FC likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2020, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Originally Posted by Jailer
Every day this week, cancelling two weeks/two islands in early November has been on my to-do list. Can't seem to pull the trigger, although I know that pulling the Band-Aid off quickly beats looking at the COVID numbers daily and dying a death by a thousand cuts. I note that the Mauna Kea Hotel is still taking reservations, so I'm not the only one dying by degrees. With all our reservations re-depositable, my little problems aren't a hill of beans in comparison to what many islanders are experiencing. My heart goes out, not only to our Hawaii-based friends, but to the larger FT community and to the entire State.

Maybe I can push inertia aside and unwind the trip...tomorrow.
It was painful cancelling for the second time this year I spoke with the reservation manager in Waikiki, and they are suffering. Most have furloughed, laid off, or had their hours cut.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2020, 10:26 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by 747FC
I did find it a bit unusual that the Surgeon General had so much Hawaii air time this week
I found it unusual as well.

Yeah, Surgeon General appears to have been in town for something at PACOM and done a couple of Covid-related appearances while he was here.
FWIW, on TV the other day, Caldwell said they (I don't remember who, exactly) "got a call from the White House" (exact words) asking what could be done to help. Surprised me to hear those exact words. Could certainly be related to some existing meetings. Who knows.
Old Aug 29, 2020, 8:08 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
The first confirmed COVID+ patient in Hawaii was a Japanese guest who stayed at the Hilton Grand Vacation resort within the Hilton Hawaiian Village. There were never reports confirming they passed it onto others. Later on, there were tourists confirmed COVID+ in Hilo, but they too weren't linked to any spread. I'm not aware of other positive tourists linked to any case now aware of any quarantine violating visitor testing positive or confirmed to spread. Lots of cases of state residents catching it in Washington, California, and Nevada and bringing it back, but I can't recall any non-resident being blamed for spread.
Old Aug 29, 2020, 8:27 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
The first confirmed COVID+ patient in Hawaii was a Japanese guest who stayed at the Hilton Grand Vacation resort within the Hilton Hawaiian Village. There were never reports confirming they passed it onto others. Later on, there were tourists confirmed COVID+ in Hilo, but they too weren't linked to any spread. I'm not aware of other positive tourists linked to any case now aware of any quarantine violating visitor testing positive or confirmed to spread. Lots of cases of state residents catching it in Washington, California, and Nevada and bringing it back, but I can't recall any non-resident being blamed for spread.
Since you cite so authoritatively and sometimes are completely off the mark your credibility suffers, can you provide links for your bold statement of who Patient Zero was?
LIH Prem likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2020, 8:46 pm

Since you cite so authoritatively and sometimes are completely off the mark your credibility suffers, can you provide links for your bold statement of who Patient Zero was?
Would it be this one?
Japanese man tested positive for Coronavirus after returning from trip to Hawaii
Shortly after returning home on February 8th, he was hospitalized with a high fever. He was then diagnosed with pneumonia, and ultimately tested positive for COVID-19.

The governors exact words during the news conference were This is a serious concerns. He adds that the state is prepared for this.

Health officials say they believe the man contracted the virus before he got here or on his way here from Japan.

The best evidence we have suggests he was infected while he was in Japan before he came to Hawaii, said Dr. Bruce Anderson, health department director.

Last edited by Rare; Aug 29, 2020 at 10:37 pm Reason: fix link
Old Aug 29, 2020, 8:57 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Thanks for the link, but it does not work for me.
Old Aug 29, 2020, 9:16 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
It is now debatable where he contracted it. He left Japan on January 27 and had no symptoms (he says) while he was here. He had no history of travel to China. He returned home on Feb 8 which is day 12 so right near the end of the possible incubation period. With the information we have now, if he indeed did not have symptoms when he was on island, it is equally likely he was infected in Hawaii. The average incubation period is around 5 days with 97% of people showing symptoms by the 11th day. Nowhere have I read that he is Patient Zero.
Old Aug 29, 2020, 10:43 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Everything is brought here including Covid. As Harrison Ford said in that old movie, if you didnt bring it with you it aint here. Think it was six days seven nights or something close to that. Loved that quote though.

I misquoted a little but hit the point, good movie.

https://www.moviequotes.com/s-movie/...-seven-nights/
LETTERBOY likes this.

Last edited by COSPILOT; Aug 29, 2020 at 10:53 pm
Old Aug 29, 2020, 10:45 pm

Thanks for the link, but it does not work for me.
Oops, sorry. Fixed, and also here it is again:
Japanese man tested positive for Coronavirus after returning from trip to Hawaii

Then there's this article that says the first confirmed case in Hawaii was a cruise ship passenger:
First COVID-19 case confirmed in Hawaii
747FC likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.