Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Oct 8, 2020, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: slippahs
//TOPIC CHECK - STAY ON TOPIC//

Aloha - as a reminder to all, FT's rules specifically state: "FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting." FlyinHawaiian and I recognize that it is easy to intertwine political commentary with the policies advanced by politicians that affect travel to Hawaii. However, we ask that you keep in mind the nature of this Hawaii forum and focus your attention on the policies and their impact on travel to/from/within Hawaii. Commentary about Hawaii's politicians are off-topic, belong in the OMNI forum, and will be deleted if posted on this thread. We ask for your kokua and cooperation. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Mahalo,

slippahs, Hawaii forum co-moderator

Print Wikipost

When will Hawaii re-open for tourism?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2020, 11:19 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by JetsGo
We’re still holding onto tickets to LIH in the first week of October. We purchased back in January and when COVID restrictions hit a couple months later we thought for sure we’d be okay. Looks like whatever the next update is will be the deciding factor for us.
Welcome to Flyertalk, and hang in there--Hawaii will open up sooner than later. On your end, start planning where you and your traveling partner(s) can get their COVID-19 testing done and results back within 72 hours. Might be tough now, but in October who knows? Keep surveying Hawaii news and government channels for updates.
mtofell likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 10:34 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver, ANA MC, HH Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC, Hertz PC
Understandably, Hawaii appears eager to open up travel with Japan and other East Asian countries where COVID-19 infection rates are low and similar to Hawaii's. Visitors from those countries will still need to take a COVID-19 test before arrival, but COVID-19 testing is not widespread in Japan (widespread COVID-19 testing is not part of the Japanese government's pandemic response), so the cost of testing is high, according to a Star-Advertiser article, "Testing requirements will be another hurdle as tests in Japan are expensive — some $250 or $300 a pop — and they’ll need to be accessible". According to the article, only 14 of the 9,116 visitors who came to Hawaii in May were from Japan. Eric Takahata, managing director of Hawaii Tourism Japan. says, "...initial visitation from Japan would be less than the 690 or so a day that we are expecting". Given these circumstances, I wouldn't expect Japanese tourism to have a major economic impact on Hawaiian tourism in the near- to mid-term. https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/...-travel-sites/
Old Jul 30, 2020, 12:58 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
I don't think a bubble with Japan will happen anytime soon with cases/deaths on the rise there.

Their graph looks a lot like Hawaii's.
LIH Prem likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 11:18 am

In a Facebook Live last night, Hawaii County Prosecutor Mitch Roth said that not only will tourism not return in September or anytime soon, he expects the interisland travel ban to be put back in place very soon.

So beyond not welcoming guests from the mainland and Asia, it is likely Hawaii won't allow residents to travel freely on each other's islands in August.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 11:21 am

Let's face it: We have a love-hate relationship with tourists:

https://southpark.cc.com/full-episod...&sort=!airdate
Old Jul 31, 2020, 1:37 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I have two weeks scheduled on the Big Island in early November and am almost ready to rebook somewhere else. I had to cancel a Honolulu week in June that I held on to as long as I could.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 2:06 pm

There has been a 98% drop in arrivals compared to June 2019:

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/...ivals-down-98/
Old Aug 1, 2020, 11:13 am

Wow incredible.

Though it is still somewhat shocking to me that over 17,000 visitors came into Hawaii even amidst the rising pandemic numbers again. It seems these are true "visitors" and not just pure arrivals...and so no wonder we will continue to see cases go up in Hawaii and of course this will delay re-opening even more....
Old Aug 1, 2020, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
HI can continue to delay any opening to whenever they want. Ultimately it will not matter if HI residents don't take precautions and continue to share the virus anyway. That was clear from all of the pressers earlier in the week.

David
JNelson113, nnn, st3 and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 2:07 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
It was all just a dream...

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/...EqEM5xnDZj2WtA

Gov. David Ige said today he may delay the state’s plan to waive the 14-day quarantine for transPacific visitors who test negative for the coronavirus following what he called a tough week with more than 500 COVID-19 cases, including 207 announced today.

At a virtual news conference this afternoon, Ige urged Hawaii residents to redouble their efforts to fight the coronavirus.

“It’s clear that many across the state have relaxed their commitment to maintain the physical distancing and all of the best practices we’ve talked about in fighting against this COVID-19 infection,” the governor said.

Ige said he and the mayors have been tracking the recent surge in cases and will make a decision soon whether to delay the Sept. 1 start of welcoming visitors from the mainland without a 14-day quarantine restriction if travelers obtain a negative COVID-19 test within 72 hours of travel.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 4:41 pm

Ige set a Friday deadline for himself to rule on the 9/1 start date. So we will all know by then.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 8:31 pm

So with ICU units nearing capacity on Oahu, it sounds like they will revert to Stay at Home policies with the outer islands remaining at Safer at Home. Interisland travel is banned without 14 day quarantine unless the state approves your essential travel wishes, and that lasts through mid September. And then the possibility of pre-testing of visitors gets pushed back to no sooner than 10/1 now.

With these tthegs rolling out, I can't imagine we will be open to tourism this calendar year.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 8:38 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
Ige set a Friday deadline for himself to rule on the 9/1 start date. So we will all know by then.
I stopped waiting and leave on Saturday to KOA and will quarantine for two weeks. Not looking forward to it but it is what it is now. I'll stay a month at least and hope he allows a neg test for entry which I believe would be very sufficient. I have my business partner scheduled in Sept 8th so I guess will see soon. If things don't open up I'll probably remain in Kona through September and hope for an Oct 1 opening.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by nomad420
I stopped waiting and leave on Saturday to KOA and will quarantine for two weeks. Not looking forward to it but it is what it is now. I'll stay a month at least and hope he allows a neg test for entry which I believe would be very sufficient. I have my business partner scheduled in Sept 8th so I guess will see soon. If things don't open up I'll probably remain in Kona through September and hope for an Oct 1 opening.
Things won't open tourism-wise this year, but at least you'll be on the Big Island which has spread under control for now and more freedoms than the other islands. Hope you're on a non-stop to KOA; they may lock down the interisland flights before then depending on the crisis on Oahu.

Out of curiosity, how are you getting from the airport to your place of quarantine? I never understood how that worked here with people that don't have their own car at the airport.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 11:12 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
Things won't open tourism-wise this year, but at least you'll be on the Big Island which has spread under control for now and more freedoms than the other islands. Hope you're on a non-stop to KOA; they may lock down the interisland flights before then depending on the crisis on Oahu.

Out of curiosity, how are you getting from the airport to your place of quarantine? I never understood how that worked here with people that don't have their own car at the airport.
friends/family/taxi/Uber/Lyft

Pick whatever works.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.