Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

When will Hawaii re-open for tourism?

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Oct 8, 2020, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: slippahs
//TOPIC CHECK - STAY ON TOPIC//

Aloha - as a reminder to all, FT's rules specifically state: "FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting." FlyinHawaiian and I recognize that it is easy to intertwine political commentary with the policies advanced by politicians that affect travel to Hawaii. However, we ask that you keep in mind the nature of this Hawaii forum and focus your attention on the policies and their impact on travel to/from/within Hawaii. Commentary about Hawaii's politicians are off-topic, belong in the OMNI forum, and will be deleted if posted on this thread. We ask for your kokua and cooperation. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Mahalo,

slippahs, Hawaii forum co-moderator

Print Wikipost

When will Hawaii re-open for tourism?

Old Jul 11, 2020, 11:52 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by mtofell
According to the rules, HI residents and visitors are treated similarly. In practice it seems residents might get hassled a bit less than visitors. My wife (resident) landed 6 days ago and hasn't heard a word from anyone as far as checking in for quarantine compliance. I know it's also a very fluid situation so frequency of check-ins a month ago might not be the same as they are today. Also, the people getting busted and made examples of are often tourists posting pics to social media which residents are probably less likely to do. Lots of moving parts and changing rules for sure.
There were several residents arrested about a week ago for violating quarantine.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 11:56 am

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
There are also multiple Facebook groups out there promoting vigilante justice against quarantine breakers. With so many unemployed, there are several locals that will stalk arriving passengers at airports and follow them back to where they're staying where they or others will monitor them.

About 3 weeks ago on one such group, I watched a FacebookLive of one family that the author said "looked too white" to be a resident that arrived at OGG. They followed them back to a home in Kihei, posting pictures of the home, the people there, and vehicles there, warning others to report them to police if they're seen out...or take measures into their own hands if police are slow to respond.

On the Big Island, there was also a dust up with a handful of black visitors that referred to themselves as the "Carbon Nation." Online, there was a call to hurt or kill them if they were out and about. When police finally did catch and arrest the Carbon Nation people, there were FacebookLives of the bunch that followed them into the airport and out to the gates to make sure they got out. Lots still remain on traditional media and social media about them and that drawn out incident.

While the quarantine is likely a deterrent against visitors, I'd be more worried about the growing hostility and fear residents have of visitors. Especially by the unemployed who have absolutely nothing to do.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
There are also multiple Facebook groups out there promoting vigilante justice against quarantine breakers. With so many unemployed, there are several locals that will stalk arriving passengers at airports and follow them back to where they're staying where they or others will monitor them.

About 3 weeks ago on one such group, I watched a FacebookLive of one family that the author said "looked too white" to be a resident that arrived at OGG. They followed them back to a home in Kihei, posting pictures of the home, the people there, and vehicles there, warning others to report them to police if they're seen out...or take measures into their own hands if police are slow to respond.

On the Big Island, there was also a dust up with a handful of black visitors that referred to themselves as the "Carbon Nation." Online, there was a call to hurt or kill them if they were out and about. When police finally did catch and arrest the Carbon Nation people, there were FacebookLives of the bunch that followed them into the airport and out to the gates to make sure they got out. Lots still remain on traditional media and social media about them and that drawn out incident.

While the quarantine is likely a deterrent against visitors, I'd be more worried about the growing hostility and fear residents have of visitors. Especially by the unemployed who have absolutely nothing to do.
Personally I haven’t seen that, but all the more reason to rent the most non tourist looking car, don’t get a Jeep or convertible, and whatever you get remove the bar code stickers from the windows. Wear a dirty T-shirt and don’t shower too often.

Joking aside, I’m very concerned about this moving forward and while I can’t find the link, some Hana residents said they would take the law into their own hands if they ever open again. I’m a frequent at some locations that are pure local but I’m questioning if that is safe anymore.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Happened in Canada as well:

Out of province cars damaged out of fear of Covid-19 and hate

David
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by COSPILOT

Joking aside, I’m very concerned about this moving forward and while I can’t find the link, some Hana residents said they would take the law into their own hands if they ever open again. I’m a frequent at some locations that are pure local but I’m questioning if that is safe anymore.
The Maui PoPo Alert page is probably the best place to find stuff like this there. Same is true for Waipio Valley on the Big Island. Armed "Valley Rangers" are patrolling the county road into the area to keep outsiders out.

Beyond the stalking and online threats, their meme game is lit too.

LETTERBOY and ExplorerWannabe like this.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 6:42 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Core Mission of FlyerTalk.com (and This Forum) - Members helping other members with questions about miles, points, and travel.

Topic Check - "When will Hawaii re-open for tourism?"

Preferred Content - Factual posts that share updates on the current status of the current travel restrictions/quarantine; in other words, discussing the topic of this thread. My co-moderator and I are happy to give a little leeway on letting organic discussions flow, but need to kindly ask for a bit of discretion from all on what is and isn't appropriate to post with specific caution against posts that are focused on the political aspects that may or may not be impacting the situation.

Alternative Thread for Discussion - Hawai`i Residents - Impacts from COVID-19 and Current Situation in Your Areas?

Mahalo,

FlyinHawaiian, Co-Moderator
Hawaii (Travel) Forum

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jul 13, 2020 at 3:36 pm
Old Jul 13, 2020, 12:05 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Per the above comment I want to just recheck on this. As of now we are STILL on for Aug 1 "Re-Opening" with of course mandatory testing right? Things change daily here so just re-checking. Seems like many of the prior posts are dealing with tracking down tourist who may or may not honor the quarantine.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 12:10 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by nomad420
Per the above comment I want to just recheck on this. As of now we are STILL on for Aug 1 "Re-Opening" with of course mandatory testing right? Things change daily here so just re-checking. Seems like many of the prior posts are dealing with tracking down tourist who may or may not honor the quarantine.
Probably not. Very likely (in fact almost certainly) it will be pushed back. The last information is that Ige will make an announcement this week. But all signs point to him delaying the no-quarantine-with-negative-test scheme beyond August 1. Guesses range anywhere from Sept 1 to October 1 to ???
Old Jul 13, 2020, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Finkface
Probably not. Very likely (in fact almost certainly) it will be pushed back. The last information is that Ige will make an announcement this week. But all signs point to him delaying the no-quarantine-with-negative-test scheme beyond August 1. Guesses range anywhere from Sept 1 to October 1 to ???
I hope this is not true, if so I will need to AGAIN scramble at what I am going to do. Rescheduling airline tickets is the least of my issues at this point.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 1:38 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
I hope this is not true, if so I will need to AGAIN scramble at what I am going to do. Rescheduling airline tickets is the least of my issues at this point.
It is true. The only question now is what the new (always subject to change) date will be.

https://www.khon2.com/coronavirus/lg...TSAK-0-TpQGdh4

Lieutenant Governor Josh Green says the governor will likely delay the reopening of tourism, which is currently scheduled for August 1. Although the governor has yet to make the announcement.

The county mayors have already expressed that it would be safer to do so. Some experts agree that Hawaii is not ready, but some economists say it’s time for everyone to take personal responsibility regarding COVID safety measures and let tourists return to the islands.

After marathon meetings with the mayors and health officials, Gov. David Ige will likely make the official announcement after the weekend. That’s according to the lieutenant governor, who says the August 1 date will be pushed back.

“The governor has to make this decision. The best approach is to delay so that we’re safer, so we can get control of the virus with a date certain. And then two weeks before that, give an update of where we are right now,” said Green.“
Old Jul 13, 2020, 2:20 pm

It is true. The only question now is what the new (always subject to change) date will be.

https://www.khon2.com/coronavirus/lg...TSAK-0-TpQGdh4

Lieutenant Governor Josh Green says the governor will likely delay the reopening of tourism, which is currently scheduled for August 1. Although the governor has yet to make the announcement.

The county mayors have already expressed that it would be safer to do so. Some experts agree that Hawaii is not ready, but some economists say it’s time for everyone to take personal responsibility regarding COVID safety measures and let tourists return to the islands.

After marathon meetings with the mayors and health officials, Gov. David Ige will likely make the official announcement after the weekend. That’s according to the lieutenant governor, who says the August 1 date will be pushed back.

“The governor has to make this decision. The best approach is to delay so that we’re safer, so we can get control of the virus with a date certain. And then two weeks before that, give an update of where we are right now,” said Green.“
Well very depressing reading the above. I will wait until official release by governor but I think at this point I will not wait any longer and just do the 2 week quarantine. Of course all of this like everything else on the Islands is "subject to change".
Old Jul 13, 2020, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Well very depressing reading the above. I will wait until official release by governor but I think at this point I will not wait any longer and just do the 2 week quarantine. Of course all of this like everything else on the Islands is "subject to change".
As noted in the Quarantine thread, it is now official. So the thread title has been updated to query whether the State will reopen* on Sept. 1.

*Reopen to visitors/returning residents without a 14-day quarantine upon proof of a negative COVID test within 72 hours of departure.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 3:39 pm

And here is is. Any bets on whether Sept 1 will stick?

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/0...hrough-august/

“The state will delay the planned Aug. 1 reopening of Hawaii’s tourism industry with a traveler pre-testing program by a month, Gov. David Ige has announced.“

Edit: oops, Slippahs beat me to it.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by slippahs
As noted in the Quarantine thread, it is now official. So the thread title has been updated to query whether the State will reopen* on Sept. 1.

*Reopen to visitors/returning residents without a 14-day quarantine upon proof of a negative COVID test within 72 hours of departure.
Disappointing to say the least but this time I am not waiting for some stupid pie in the sky date of maybe a lifted travel ban. I will (or my partner) just quarantine and try during those 2 weeks to get as much work done remotely that I can. Probably will stay until the they release the travel ban and then let my partner take over. Quite honestly we should have done this June 1 had we known this would string out this long. I feel very sorry for the Islands this has to be a horrible situation for them.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 5:48 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Any bets on whether Sept 1 will stick?
There's a better chance of a peace deal between the Israelis & Palestinians, or of Joe Biden dropping out and endorsing Trump. What I'm wondering is 1) Will Hawaii open this year? 2) Will they wait for a vaccine? 3) What if there never is a vaccine? I think there'll be one, but there's no guarantee. What do they do then?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.