Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

When will Hawaii re-open for tourism?

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Oct 8, 2020, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: slippahs
//TOPIC CHECK - STAY ON TOPIC//

Aloha - as a reminder to all, FT's rules specifically state: "FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting." FlyinHawaiian and I recognize that it is easy to intertwine political commentary with the policies advanced by politicians that affect travel to Hawaii. However, we ask that you keep in mind the nature of this Hawaii forum and focus your attention on the policies and their impact on travel to/from/within Hawaii. Commentary about Hawaii's politicians are off-topic, belong in the OMNI forum, and will be deleted if posted on this thread. We ask for your kokua and cooperation. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Mahalo,

slippahs, Hawaii forum co-moderator

Print Wikipost

When will Hawaii re-open for tourism?

Old Aug 7, 2020, 1:08 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
Hawaii continues to confuse me. Based on the news this morning one needs to quarantine again for inter island travel, which is what I understood from yesterday. What caught me off guard is that arrival into Oahu will not require quarantine inter island, just the other islands? I’m positive that is what Josh Green said this morning.

Seems odd that I could fly OGG-HNL and not quarantine. Not that I’m going to, just curious if others caught that comment from him.
The purpose of the ruling is to protect neighbor island communities from the rampant spread of COVID-19 seen on Oahu. So, you can fly OGG-HNL without quarantine, but you would need to quarantine if you flew back to OGG or any other neighbor island.
Old Aug 7, 2020, 1:52 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by 747FC
You are having trouble understanding that ALL beaches are state beaches. Period.
I fully understand that, I questioned whether the closure only referred to STATE PARK beaches such as Hapuna Beach State Park and a multitude of others or indeed is virtually any beach access now restricted. You tell me, from your profile it appear you are in Honolulu so what's the deal? Let me be clear my intent isn't to skirt any rules. My intent is to preserve my business in Hawaii which right now is on the brink of collapse. Would it be nice after quarantine to hit the beach, you bet. But as far as I am concerned that is a secondary/way down the list issue right now.
Old Aug 7, 2020, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by nomad420
Looks like I just made it then, leaving tomorrow AM. Again from the sound of it you can fly inter-island you just have to quarantine right? Although not sure how many flight will now be running, probably just enough for "essential travel". The beach restrictions are a bit of a bummer but I have access to semi private remote beach area that I can't imagine would be shut down as it is not a state beach park. Still trying to figure out much of what went down yesterday.
right, there is no "travel ban" and calling it a "travel ban" is a fabrication. It's purely political commentary, not surprising given the source.

The new 14 day quarantine applies to travelers leaving Oahu and flying to other islands. If you are flying between islands, not including Oahu, if they are still operating those flights, there is no mandatory quarantine. That's my understanding. I don't know if there's an exemption for simply connecting at HNL or not. The idea is to prevent spread from Oahu. Two Oahu based construction workers were recently tested positive after spending the weekend on Lanai. They are attempting to stop that.

Edit: My understanding as of this moment: 14-day inter-island quarantine is exempt only for arrivals on Oahu. All other i/i arrivals require a 14-day quarantine, including routes that bypass Oahu like OGG-KOA.

Also the Governor did not close parks or beaches or ban team sports. That was done by the City of Honolulu. I believe the Gov has to approve the plans, but does not implement them and the request came from the City and it applies to Oahu.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Aug 8, 2020 at 1:51 pm
Old Aug 7, 2020, 3:38 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
Also the Governor did not close parks or beaches or ban team sports. That was done by the City of Honolulu. I believe the Gov has to approve the plans, but does not implement them and the request came from the City and it applies to Oahu.

-David
Mahalo, that's very helpful. Just called family and friends on the Big Island and from what I am hearing beaches are indeed open there. Can't speak for Honolulu/Oahu.
LIH Prem likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2020, 4:57 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
I fully understand that, I questioned whether the closure only referred to STATE PARK beaches such as Hapuna Beach State Park and a multitude of others or indeed is virtually any beach access now restricted. You tell me, from your profile it appear you are in Honolulu so what's the deal? Let me be clear my intent isn't to skirt any rules. My intent is to preserve my business in Hawaii which right now is on the brink of collapse. Would it be nice after quarantine to hit the beach, you bet. But as far as I am concerned that is a secondary/way down the list issue right now.
Mahalo, that's very helpful. Just called family and friends on the Big Island and from what I am hearing beaches are indeed open there. Can't speak for Honolulu/Oahu.
I misspoke when saying beaches are being closed. Only Oahu beaches. My point is that while there may be county or state "beach parks," all beaches are "state" beaches. There is no such thing as private or semi-private beaches.
Old Aug 7, 2020, 5:04 pm
st3

Programs: United MP
I've been watching this thread pretty regularly as my girlfriend and I have a weeklong vacation planned for early October. With each development it seems more and more likely that this simply won't happen and we've started planning accordingly. It's a disappointment from my end as I have lived on the east coast most of my life and I've never been, but such is life in 2020. I hope Hawaii's government is able to figure out something to keep their residents safe both medically and financially.
747FC and mtofell like this.
Old Aug 7, 2020, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by 747FC
I misspoke when saying beaches are being closed. Only Oahu beaches. My point is that while there may be county or state "beach parks," all beaches are "state" beaches. There is no such thing as private or semi-private beaches.
Gotcha, I probably misspoke as well by using the term "semi private" . I know that is a very sensitive term to use in Hawaii. FWIW, I couldn't agree more with the current laws which as you have noted mandate all beaches are "state property/state beaches". As an example as to what it could be horrifically like, go to lake Tahoe and try to sit on the beach and see what happens. Much of the beach line is indeed private property at Tahoe.
Old Aug 7, 2020, 9:40 pm

Programs: AS 75K
I can't seem to find it now but I thought I read earlier this week that Ige was to announce by today a repeal (or not) of the negative Covid test = no quarantine thing set for 9/1. Is that just assumed to be off the table given all the chaos in Oahu? As of this post the airlines are still reporting as of 9/1 that a negative Covid test within 72 hours or arrival gets you out of the 14-day quarantine (at least for Maui... I didn't check other islands).
Old Aug 7, 2020, 11:29 pm

I just saw on the news that there’s no exemption for inter island flights that bypass Oahu.

-David
Old Aug 7, 2020, 11:40 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
I just saw in the news that there’s no exemption for inter island flights that bypass Oahu.

-David
i joked with my wife that trying to keep up is a loosing proposition.. About the time I think I have it figured out, the news changes.

I guess I watch the news in the morning, and later and still not be sure what the plan is. Uncertainty is the only thing I know for sure.
Old Aug 8, 2020, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by mtofell
I can't seem to find it now but I thought I read earlier this week that Ige was to announce by today a repeal (or not) of the negative Covid test = no quarantine thing set for 9/1. Is that just assumed to be off the table given all the chaos in Oahu? As of this post the airlines are still reporting as of 9/1 that a negative Covid test within 72 hours or arrival gets you out of the 14-day quarantine (at least for Maui... I didn't check other islands).
Looking back on my "staycation" cancellation emails from hotels that were for early August, the August 1 exemption date was pushed back to September 1 on July 13. So if past history is an indicator, it's still too early in the month for the Gov to make the call.

I don't see how the Sept. 1 date will ever work with Oahu's numbers spiraling out of control. While I am usually ever the optimist, I am not seeing Oct. 1 or Nov. 1 working either.
inlanikai and mtofell like this.
Old Aug 8, 2020, 1:46 pm

I just saw on the news that there’s no exemption for inter island flights that bypass Oahu.
Some confirmation here that the only exemption is inter-island arrivals on Oahu.

https://mauinow.com/2020/08/07/inter...r-maui-county/

I think it's odd that other inter-island travel, like OGG-LIH or OGG-KOA non-stops are not exempt from the quarantine rules. Maybe they will update, but are they even running those flights now? Is there enough traffic on those routes without tourism? So for now, maybe it's moot.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Aug 8, 2020 at 1:53 pm
Old Aug 8, 2020, 3:28 pm

Some confirmation here that the only exemption is inter-island arrivals on Oahu.

https://mauinow.com/2020/08/07/inter...r-maui-county/

I think it's odd that other inter-island travel, like OGG-LIH or OGG-KOA non-stops are not exempt from the quarantine rules. Maybe they will update, but are they even running those flights now? Is there enough traffic on those routes without tourism? So for now, maybe it's moot.

-David
They are still running those flights, but the issue is also the cabin crews are mostly from Oahu and those plans were probably on Oahu earlier. To be really safe, they say going to any other island you have to quarantine because you could have gotten exposed by Oahu.

It seems backwards but it's not really. I don't agree with it, but that's another story....
Old Aug 8, 2020, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
231 new cases today...(from BIVN):

Hawaiʻi COVID-19 Updates For August 8th: New State Record, 13 Active Big Island Cases

David
Old Aug 8, 2020, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DELee
Doesn't this imply current quarantine measures are not effective or even irrelevant?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.