Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Oct 8, 2020, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: slippahs
//TOPIC CHECK - STAY ON TOPIC//

Aloha - as a reminder to all, FT's rules specifically state: "FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting." FlyinHawaiian and I recognize that it is easy to intertwine political commentary with the policies advanced by politicians that affect travel to Hawaii. However, we ask that you keep in mind the nature of this Hawaii forum and focus your attention on the policies and their impact on travel to/from/within Hawaii. Commentary about Hawaii's politicians are off-topic, belong in the OMNI forum, and will be deleted if posted on this thread. We ask for your kokua and cooperation. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Mahalo,

slippahs, Hawaii forum co-moderator

Print Wikipost

When will Hawaii re-open for tourism?

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2020, 4:24 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by 747FC
I don't think there is any uncertainty about what home quarantine means: It means one's home, not the common spaces of a condo. If you look at past reports, tourists have been instructed that they cannot use the common-area facilities of hotels. They must stay in their rooms. No outdoor exercise. Nothing but confinement in one's individual home.
To my point, are you required to have food delivered during this time? Obviously you have to eat. In my case it would be difficult to have family members deliver food to me as I am quite a drive from them on the Big Island. Also, I live in a house not a condo so no "common area" issue but I would like to exercise and if possible go to the beach which is basically across the street. So if you are fortunate enough to have beach front property is it then OK to use your "own" beach? Too many questions in my mind and I don't want to get in trouble with self righteous locals or the "corona police". Standing by now in CA but not sure how long I can hold out.
Old May 14, 2020, 4:29 pm
bpe

Programs: AS, UA
Originally Posted by dhuey
Is it really that hard to ask for ID at the point of service in a restaurant, bar, grocery/convenience store? If local, here you go. If not, sorry.
Originally Posted by HawaiiSailor
Bus drivers on Oahu have already been assaulted while trying to enforce a simple mask rule. Monitoring people under quarantine various ways is fine. Making the rest of us prove to each other that we are not would Introduce a host of issues.
What about out-of-state visitors who have already quarantined for 14 days or those exempt from quarantine (airline crews, medical staff, government workers etc...)? Besides, not everyone in Hawaii or any other state has to have a state ID. I never had a drivers licence or state ID until I was 21.

I feel that what annoys people is the constantly-changing details of the rules and enforcement along with borderline illegal/unconstitutional behavior that discriminates against people, rather than their behavior. For instance, telling people that they cannot move to Hawaii now doesn't seem legal to me (I'm no expert by any means), but anyway there are are still people who will try to, some with and some without legitimate reasons to do so now. However, removing the 'intended resident' from the form isn't going to stop those who really want to move, it's just going to confuse and potentially annoy them. As long as they behave properly and quarantine for 14 days and follow the same rules as residents and everyone else, why should it matter what their residential status is?

Last edited by bpe; May 14, 2020 at 4:41 pm Reason: Added second paragraph
Old May 14, 2020, 4:34 pm

Programs: UA GS, Delta Plat, Hawaiian Gold, Hertz Plat
Originally Posted by nomad420
To my point, are you required to have food delivered during this time? Obviously you have to eat. In my case it would be difficult to have family members deliver food to me as I am quite a drive from them on the Big Island. Also, I live in a house not a condo so no "common area" issue but I would like to exercise and if possible go to the beach which is basically across the street. So if you are fortunate enough to have beach front property is it then OK to use your "own" beach? Too many questions in my mind and I don't want to get in trouble with self righteous locals or the "corona police". Standing by now in CA but not sure how long I can hold out.
There’s no minimum uber eats $ commitment if that’s what your asking . Yeah you’re not supposed to leave your property, sounds like the beach isn’t on your property. Will anyone notice, care, check on, or report on what you’re up to? Probably not, but YMMV.

Originally Posted by bpe
For instance, telling people that they cannot move to Hawaii now doesn't seem legal to me (I'm no expert by any means), but anyway there are are still people who will try to, some with and some without legitimate reasons to do so now. However, removing the 'intended resident' from the form isn't going to stop those who really want to move, it's just going to confuse and potentially annoy them.hy should it matter what their residential status is?
No one is stopping anyone from moving to Hawaii tomorrow. For the purposes of the form though you’ll just be classified as a visitor until you get a Hawaii ID or otherwise prove residency. But this distinction doesn’t change anything about your quarantine requirement currently.
ExplorerWannabe likes this.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; May 14, 2020 at 5:18 pm Reason: consecutive posts merged
Old May 14, 2020, 4:47 pm

Programs: AS 75K
With the number of questions about the quarantine rules, I'm guessing many have never read them. Here they are the protocol is VERY clear:

https://www.hawaiitourismauthority.o...l-coronavirus/
Old May 14, 2020, 4:53 pm
bpe

Programs: AS, UA
No one is stopping anyone from moving to Hawaii tomorrow. For the purposes of the form though you’ll just be classified as a visitor until you rent or buy property here or get a Hawaii ID.
Then keeping the 'intended resident' category on the form would be more accurate for everyone.

But again, as long as everyone follows the same quarantine rules your resident status shouldn't even matter.
Old May 14, 2020, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by bpe
Then keeping the 'intended resident' category on the form would be more accurate for everyone.

But again, as long as everyone follows the same quarantine rules your resident status shouldn't even matter.
Yeah that box has been confusing for people. Many islanders assume that means many of them are homeless. The quarantine requirement is the same currently regardless of which box you check.
Old May 14, 2020, 5:02 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by nomad420
I'm sure that you are a very talented and smart person, but your constant questioning about this reality is very confusing to me. You should know that beaches are public, so NO you cannot go to the beach. And yes, you have to have your food delivered.
Old May 14, 2020, 5:03 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Oahu Mayor Announces Extension of Stay at Home Order

News conference on now. I saw an advance copy of the order, which will continue until the end of June.
Old May 14, 2020, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
No one is stopping anyone from moving to Hawaii tomorrow. For the purposes of the form though you’ll just be classified as a visitor until you get a Hawaii ID or otherwise prove residency. But this distinction doesn’t change anything about your quarantine requirement currently.
Exactly. As much as I disagree with quarantining people who are presumed healthy, there is no illegal discrimination here because both new and returning residents are required to quarantine for 2 weeks. In fact the only people who are likely to visit now are new or existing residents as most of us don't plan to spend our vacations locked up.

Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
Isn't Hawaii basically on a path to be closed to visitors forever? Because if their goal is to have no new cases on the islands, and they are going to force a 14-day quarantine to maintain that, they will essentially never be able to allow anyone in. Insanity.
Exactly. Just like our Santa Clara Health Officer who was the first one to issue a quarantine order. She said the lockdown continues so long as there are any new cases. Which of course means forever until there is a vaccine or cure.

Interesting how Iceland is able to re-open with instant testing and contact tracing apps but Hawaii is not.
ExpatExp likes this.
Old May 14, 2020, 5:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
I'm sure that you are a very talented and smart person, but your constant questioning about this reality is very confusing to me. You should know that beaches are public, so NO you cannot go to the beach. And yes, you have to have your food delivered.
Yes, FWIW, I read the restrictions for 14-day quarantine, and they looked crystal clear to me. Upon arrival, I would need to go straight to a rental. No common areas of a multi-unit property (such as pool, fitness center). No one can visit my space except medical professional. I can't leave except for medical care or to go home.

Whatever the merits of this policy, it's easy to understand.
cawhite, 747FC and ajf87 like this.
Old May 14, 2020, 5:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HA PL, Hilton 💎, Marriott Ti, Wyndham/Caesars 💎, Hertz PC
It's pretty shocking at this point, the entitlement and willful ignorance. This is part of the reason why there is simmering tension between native and local Hawaiians and privileged, wealthy mainlanders and foreign tourists who own vacation homes (and thus help contribute to the state's housing crisis). That any property owner considers the beach in front of the beachfront property as their "own" is pretty arrogant and not grounded in reality. The beaches in Hawaii are all public, regardless of how much money you paid for your view.
747FC and ExplorerWannabe like this.
Old May 14, 2020, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Interesting how Iceland is able to re-open with instant testing and contact tracing apps but Hawaii is not.
We’ll get there. Iceland doesn’t have the US Fed to backstop it, nor a 300m audience of potential domestic visitors, nor a tropical year-round climate. It also has sovereign border control, a fifth the people that Hawaii has, more antibodies in the populace, nearly 0 new cases in the last 2 weeks, and doesn’t need to comply with federal regulations nor the US Constitution.

Iceland needs to do it fast before summer is gone, Hawaii needs do it right before winter peak season starts. And getting the kids safely back to school early August is really really critical.
747FC and ExplorerWannabe like this.

Last edited by HawaiiSailor; May 14, 2020 at 6:30 pm
Old May 14, 2020, 8:06 pm

Programs: Recovering Delta SkyMiles Addict--Now Gold with AAdvantage
Hawaii visitor closure, quarantine, extensions, reopening

Our Governor here in Hawaii announced this afternoon that the 14-day quarantine on arriving passengers will be extended at least through the end of June. Stronger quarantine enforcement efforts were announced over the past few days as well. Here is a link to a very barebones article that describes this, but do realize that these pieces tend to quickly go behind a paywall on the Star-Advertiser site once they are fleshed out for later versions:

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/...rough-june-30/

Also, it should be noted that this guy has been wishy-washy and had to backtrack on some previous pronouncements. Having said that, the arrivals quarantine has been popular here despite the devastating effect it has had on tourism. At some point pressure will build to reverse it, probably when the state unemployment fund is exhausted. Some of us, myself included, see the pandemic as a wake-up call to diversify our economy, but it will take a very long time and more courage than we are accustomed to seeing from Hawaii politicians to do that.
ExplorerWannabe likes this.
Old May 14, 2020, 8:47 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat - some level of status in IHG, Marriot & HIlton
Originally Posted by KeaauFlyer
Our Governor here in Hawaii announced this afternoon that the 14-day quarantine on arriving passengers will be extended at least through the end of June. Stronger quarantine enforcement efforts were announced over the past few days as well. Here is a link to a very barebones article that describes this, but do realize that these pieces tend to quickly go behind a paywall on the Star-Advertiser site once they are fleshed out for later versions:

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/...rough-june-30/

Also, it should be noted that this guy has been wishy-washy and had to backtrack on some previous pronouncements. Having said that, the arrivals quarantine has been popular here despite the devastating effect it has had on tourism. At some point pressure will build to reverse it, probably when the state unemployment fund is exhausted. Some of us, myself included, see the pandemic as a wake-up call to diversify our economy, but it will take a very long time and more courage than we are accustomed to seeing from Hawaii politicians to do that.
That is disappointing. I was hoping they would at least try to start relaxing the mandatory quarantine in June. I can’t decide if I should go ahead and cancel my July 25 trip now and go to somewhere that wants my money or hold out one more month.
Old May 14, 2020, 8:57 pm

Programs: Recovering Delta SkyMiles Addict--Now Gold with AAdvantage
Originally Posted by ksucats
That is disappointing. I was hoping they would at least try to start relaxing the mandatory quarantine in June. I can’t decide if I should go ahead and cancel my July 25 trip now and go to somewhere that wants my money or hold out one more month.
Seeing that your trip is in late July, I'd suggest waiting a while longer. A lot could change between now and then, and this governor is not known for being tough or tenacious, having backed off on a number of issues. And it's not that we don't want your money; it's just that in our culture we value the lives of our kupuna (elders) more.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.