Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

New and cancelled destinations, major schedule and operational changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New and cancelled destinations, major schedule and operational changes

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2020, 12:38 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by intuition
Do you know if it is daily or 7 weekly? (ie are the 7 departures spread evenly or not)
At least right now, it shows one flight per day, the schedule is the usual summer one with 4+ hours at DEL.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 1:17 pm

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by ffay005
Do these JFK, DEL, LAX additions come kind of late, only a few months before summer? Or is this a usual timeframe?

Trying to make out whether the Chinese Flu has anything to do with these, or is it just about AY having more widebody capacity with the new A350s arriving?
Now when China failed these additional flights sound like desperate way to dump huge over capacity what AY has next summer.

I hope these tricks will help AY to survive.
NoWindowSeat likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by OH-LGG
Now when China failed these additional flights sound like desperate way to dump huge over capacity what AY has next summer.

I hope these tricks will help AY to survive.
Which means they're not anticipating the Chinese flights to continue anytime soon. My guess is PKX will be the last destination to be reinstated, if at all.

I wonder if we could hope for a year-round MIA or a DFW flight in the wake of all this.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 1:27 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Which means they're not anticipating the Chinese flights to continue anytime soon. My guess is PKX will be the last destination to be reinstated, if at all.

I wonder if we could hope for a year-round MIA or a DFW flight in the wake of all this.
CLT would be convenient for me if they are gonna serve the southern states

But yes, a year round MIA or ORD would be nice.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 1:29 pm
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold

I’d say very unlikely, air travel as a whole will most likely take a very deep decline over the coming 6-12 months. Comparable to 911, if not worse.

And this is only starting now, who knows when US - Europe will start seeing major cuts. It really seems to be more ”when” than ”if” at the moment.

Hopefully AY will get some extra cash flow in with these added flights until it’s too late.
esledo likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat
I’d say very unlikely, air travel as a whole will most likely take a very deep decline over the coming 6-12 months. Comparable to 911, if not worse.

And this is only starting now, who knows when US - Europe will start seeing major cuts. It really seems to be more ”when” than ”if” at the moment.

Hopefully AY will get some extra cash flow in with these added flights until it’s too late.
Too late may become very soon. Trump is very nervous about the stock markets plunge and the re-election and may put restrictions on travel when coronacases spread just a little more in US
Old Mar 3, 2020, 10:28 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Upgraded DEL route to daily and LAX from 3 to 4 weeklies from July.

Too many wide-bodies and not enough East Asian pax to fill them, I guess.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by Courmisch
Upgraded DEL route to daily and LAX from 3 to 4 weeklies from July.

Too many wide-bodies and not enough East Asian pax to fill them, I guess.
This is what AY needs to do, it’s totally desperate but better than nothing. Adding capacity now and most likely cancelling in 1-2 months...but hopefully some short term cash flow in before that..
Old Mar 3, 2020, 11:02 am

Europe-LA was selling for nothing last winter, due to over-capacity - I saw HEL-LAX-HEL at 240€ (from AF/KL) - and maybe legacies trying to kill off Norwegian. Not sure adding extra capacity again is not going to make things worse rather than better, if it's operated at a loss.
NoWindowSeat likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 11:38 am

Programs: AY+ Plat (OWE), *A Gold, ST Elite Plus
Still missing and secretly hoping for YYZ...
Old Mar 3, 2020, 11:41 am

I can't really see AY adding a new destination just to (try to) make up for the 2020 travel slump...

But otherwise HNL, pretty please
Old Mar 3, 2020, 11:50 am

Year 2020 is not going to be the year airlines open much new routes. This will be the year of survival, unfortunately. Those who stay afloat can hopefully start recovering in 21/22.

IATA’s early estimate of 30 Billion USD impact on the industry is long gone, it will much, much more than that.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by travelmoments
Still missing and secretly hoping for YYZ...
This is not impossible as a seasonal.

But I don't think there's any hope of AY opening new destinations because of the current excess in planes. A new AY destination requires so much background work before they annoounce it. New frequencies on old routes is a lot easier.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 12:04 pm

This is not impossible as a seasonal.
Definitely feasible in the future. AY used fly to Toronto seasonally with their sardine cans many many moons ago so why not do it again. But not in 2020 for sure.
ffay005 likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 12:11 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, IHG Gold, Diners
YYZ would be fantastic!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.