Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

New and cancelled destinations, major schedule and operational changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New and cancelled destinations, major schedule and operational changes

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2020, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
One daily to LGW would be much more useful than another one to LHR. I'd be all over it (not for the salad bar day trips, but for fanny pack trips)
Old Jan 24, 2020, 10:53 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by nordic
I wonder if they start the LGW service after all.
AY already flies from LGW to Lapland. I'm pretty sure the LGW slots were/are intended for something else than HEL.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 11:42 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by ffay005
AY already flies from LGW to Lapland. I'm pretty sure the LGW slots were/are intended for something else than HEL.
But only in winter.

And in an all-Y config.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 11:51 am

Programs: AY+
Why AY doesn’t sell HEL-Lapland-LGW tickets? At least haven’t noticed that they do. Wish they did. I don’t like to change the airport in London if connecting.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 11:51 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Yeah, the new slots were for summer, I believe. But what's stopping AY (and British holiday operators?) from attracting Britons to FInland in the summer? Midnight sun and all.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 1:32 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by tulokas
Why AY doesn’t sell HEL-Lapland-LGW tickets? At least haven’t noticed that they do. Wish they did. I don’t like to change the airport in London if connecting.
The reason are the British: they were far ahead of AY forum idiots regarding day trips - it is very common set in Christmas period for example they come and go same day turns or one night turns. In that window you dont want extra stops to lose time.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by tulokas
They do. Only on sundays though. While I was searching for HEL-MIA, I found these.
vulle, SPBanker and tulokas like this.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 11:20 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by reflektia
They do. Only on sundays though. While I was searching for HEL-MIA, I found these.
Cant believe this...I mean offering those. Just waiting I can find flights from HEL to MIA via BNE (I dont want side trips to TXL nor RVN)
Old Jan 25, 2020, 2:12 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
So, here's to all who believed Brexit would mean closed borders between the UK and the EU
Actually, IF anything happens with flights / borders / etc. we will only see those in 2021 at the earliest, as 2020 will be a transition period, where for all intense and purposes the UK is part of the EU (just without any influence ). My guess is, that at then end of the year we'll transition into the new game of "extending the transition period" from the previous one of "when (if at all) will Brexit happens?".
Old Jan 25, 2020, 7:55 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by vulle
Very surprised that BA is still has only 1 flight per day after removing the 2nd flight 1,5 years back.
has it been that long 😂😂 wow time flies fast too
vulle likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 5:11 pm

Programs: AFKL PLT, BA Gold, SK Gold, AY Gold, A3 Silver, LH FTL, IHG Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by kauppias
has it been that long
Well, it actually hasn't: BA switched from two dailies to one daily on March 31, 2019. So it was less than a year ago. I really miss the good old BA795 !
vulle likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 5:28 pm

Programs: TK *G, BA Gold
Originally Posted by DALtoAAL
I really miss the good old BA795 !
I can think of very few reasons to choose BA operated flights for HEL-LHR since there are plenty of AY flights all with a BA codeshare and all BA long haul tickets give a choice of any BA or AY operated flight for the HEL-LHR segment. On AY there is better recognition for status card holders (nothing on BA short haul, not even a glass of water). Also hand baggage only fares on AY give one checked item for emerald card holders, but nothing on BA.
The only advantage of BA would be the cheap J returns HEL-LHR, I have paid 250e return in the past which is great for earning tier points. AY never have such discounts in J and the short haul fares are different between BA operated and AY operated.
vulle and florens like this.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 9:23 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by FFlash
Cant believe this...I mean offering those. Just waiting I can find flights from HEL to MIA via BNE (I dont want side trips to TXL nor RVN)
Just giving you a heads up: It might require multiple PNR's so don't be disappointed.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 12:33 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond, PriorityPass, AX Plat
Originally Posted by DALtoAAL
Well, it actually hasn't: BA switched from two dailies to one daily on March 31, 2019. So it was less than a year ago. I really miss the good old BA795 !
Thanks for the info, I remembered that BA removed the second daily in fall of 2018 - was wrong then 😊
Old Jan 26, 2020, 12:40 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond, PriorityPass, AX Plat
Originally Posted by riku2
I can think of very few reasons to choose BA operated flights for HEL-LHR since there are plenty of AY flights all with a BA codeshare and all BA long haul tickets give a choice of any BA or AY operated flight for the HEL-LHR segment. On AY there is better recognition for status card holders (nothing on BA short haul, not even a glass of water). Also hand baggage only fares on AY give one checked item for emerald card holders, but nothing on BA.
The only advantage of BA would be the cheap J returns HEL-LHR, I have paid 250e return in the past which is great for earning tier points. AY never have such discounts in J and the short haul fares are different between BA operated and AY operated.
I really like the cheap TPs as BAEC-member on trips to LHR. If I fly onwards from LHR I usually choose AY widebodies to LHR though - preferably with BA code.

I guess I have been lucky on BA as BA Gold, been served J champagne in Y as status recognition.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.