Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair to launch service to Doha (DOH) ex-HEL, ARN, CPH

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 29, 2022, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: VilBur
HEL-DOH AY1981 16:00-23:45 333 16DEC22-
DOH-HEL AY1982 08:00-14:15 333 17DEC22-

ARN-DOH AY1983 15:10-23:50 333 01NOV22-
DOH-ARN AY1984 08:10-13:25 333 02NOV22-

CPH-DOH AY1985 15:15-23:30 333 01NOV22-
DOH-CPH AY1986 08:15-13:10 333 02NOV22-

Flights are considered long-haul (AY+ awards & accrual as well as complimentary meals in all classes of travel).

AY and QR both have set quotas and specifically allocated seats on board. At least on the ARN service, the AY quota in J is 7 seats (1L, 2DHL, 3DHL) and the Y quota is 61 seats (3136 DEGHJL, 59JL, 6163DEGHJL.

The PE cabin is not sold by either airline. The PE seats belong to the QR quota and can be assigned to QR Y pax at no extra charge.

Transferring at DOH, you will have access to the following lounges when departing on AY or QR, in descending order:
1. Al Safwa, for QR customers ticketed in F. Close to the bear
2. Al Mourjan lounges, for AY & QR customers ticketed in J (J Light not eligible). Al Mourjan South is close to the bear (escalator up right next to the escalator coming down from transfer security). Al Mourjan North (Al Mourjan Garden) entrance is located between the northern stop of the intra-terminal train and The Orchard. Al Mourjan North lounge is twice as big as Al Mourjan South and has views over The Orchard.
3. Qatar Airways Platinum & Gold Lounge North, for Golds, Platinums and Lumos regardless of class of travel. This lounge is a shared Platinum & Gold lounge. Entrance near gate C14
4. Qatar Airways Platinum Lounge South, for Platinums and Lumos regardless of class of travel. At gate A1.
5. Qatar Airways Gold Lounge South, for Golds, Platinums and Lumos regardless of class of travel. At gate A1 (shared entrance with the Platinum Lounge South)

All lounges operate 24/7.

Print Wikipost

Finnair to launch service to Doha (DOH) ex-HEL, ARN, CPH

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2023, 7:56 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond, PriorityPass, AX Plat
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I think I might call BS on that excuse. QR is actually quite prone to not serving PDB champagne in airports with high duty (hello Copenhagen route) but they gladly serve champagne on Doha departures. Or is there a sneaky exemption for Qatar?
Ive always been served on QR as well, on Friday from DOH the latest, so either there is an exemption for QR or AY doesnt want to pay the duty.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 12:33 pm

Programs: AY Plat, LH Sen
QR and Airbus reached today an agreement in their dispute over the A350's. The 29 grounded A350's will return to service (or enter service, as some of them were never delivered) once they have been repaired.

If QR has some way of canceling the AY agreement (which is practically a wet-lease), I'm sure they will do that. QR will have plenty of their own planes sitting idle after the repairs are finished.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by r2d2
QR and Airbus reached today an agreement in their dispute over the A350's. The 29 grounded A350's will return to service (or enter service, as some of them were never delivered) once they have been repaired.

If QR has some way of canceling the AY agreement (which is practically a wet-lease), I'm sure they will do that. QR will have plenty of their own planes sitting idle after the repairs are finished.
It is probably a bit more than a two day fix to get them airworthy again. I would expect Qatar to want to get the new type of metal mesh configuration. So expect quite a few months before all 29 are in operation. Of course they are coming gradually, but there are also still routes that QR don't fly, or fly with less frequency. So I don't think they are leaving Finnair just yet.
r2d2 and SPBanker like this.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 11:37 pm

Programs: AY Plat, LH Sen
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
It is probably a bit more than a two day fix to get them airworthy again.
And AY and QR have a fixed-term agreement, so it won't be easy for QR to get rid of it. However if there are any breaches of contract from AY side, QR can take advantage of it.
Old Feb 2, 2023, 1:04 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Seeing how often Akbar Al Baker publicly chastise his suppliers, I wouldn't be that surprised if QR has some clever clauses in the contract and moves to break it off at a time that is advantageous to them.
Unless there is real truth to the "longterm strategic cooperation" of course:
Finnair and oneworld partner Qatar Airways have concluded an agreement to establish a long-term strategic cooperation between Helsinki, Stockholm and Copenhagen and Doha. Finnair and Qatar Airways are exploring opening services also between another European destination and Doha.
Back then they hinted that Finnair could become a major feeder to DOH-hub and through this offer "Finnair-flights" to Australasia and Africa. Nothing has materialised though, so time will tell just how longterm this cooperation will be.
Old Feb 8, 2023, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Would anyone have recent information about cash upgrade offers on HEL-DOH flights?

I just booked HEL-DOH-SEZ-DOH-HEL and used a longhaul voucher to upgrade the return AY flight. The outbound is available for upgrading, too, but at this time there are no cash offers.

I received excellent cash offers for ARN-DOH and DOH-CPH (below 130 EUR), but somehow I believe that the homemarket prices may not be that low. Or?

I am just pondering whether, for a flight in June, I should just use a voucher or wait for a good cash offer to pop up closer to departure.
Old Feb 9, 2023, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
I added some brief lounge info in the wiki because most pax will be transfering at DOH. Please amend if necessary.

Question: last month, I flew DOH-CPH on AY with a Y Classic ticket, upgraded to J, BP showing J Classic and entered Al Mourjan without problems. If I had had a Y Light ticket, upgraded to J Light, would I have been denied access because of "Light"? AY J Light tickets do not include lounge access and Al Mourjan does not allow satus-based access.
Old Feb 9, 2023, 4:04 pm

Programs: Costco Gold Star, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by ffay005
I added some brief lounge info in the wiki because most pax will be transfering at DOH. Please amend if necessary.

Question: last month, I flew DOH-CPH on AY with a Y Classic ticket, upgraded to J, BP showing J Classic and entered Al Mourjan without problems. If I had had a Y Light ticket, upgraded to J Light, would I have been denied access because of "Light"? AY J Light tickets do not include lounge access and Al Mourjan does not allow satus-based access.
Officially you get the usual J perks since you upgraded in advance vs. at the airport even if bp says light. That being said, I do see how this could confuse the dragon with the Light wording since Light means no access in the context of a paid ticket.
ffay005 likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 10:38 pm

Does anyone know if Finnair offers the ability to check-in for a connecting flight at the transfer desk at Doha? If they do, are they able to arrange the transfer of checked baggage from the inbound flight to the Finnair flight where it has not been possible to check through the baggage at the point of initial departure?
Old Mar 2, 2023, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Forest
Does anyone know if Finnair offers the ability to check-in for a connecting flight at the transfer desk at Doha? If they do, are they able to arrange the transfer of checked baggage from the inbound flight to the Finnair flight where it has not been possible to check through the baggage at the point of initial departure?
If you can't get your luggage checked through, you need to enter Qatar to reclaim and recheck. Or go carryon only.
Old Mar 3, 2023, 12:22 am

Thank you for the response CPH-Flyer. By the sounds of it I might have to look at other options.

If everything is on time I'd have a little over 3 hours between arrival and departure times. Any idea if it would be achievable to collect bags, clear immigration/customs and check-in for the flight with Finnair within that timeframe?
Old Mar 3, 2023, 12:46 am

Programs: Onko teill S-etukorttia?
Thank you for the response CPH-Flyer. By the sounds of it I might have to look at other options.

If everything is on time I'd have a little over 3 hours between arrival and departure times. Any idea if it would be achievable to collect bags, clear immigration/customs and check-in for the flight with Finnair within that timeframe?
This should be enough time.
Just beware that Qatar just implemented mandatory health insurance from Qatari providers only, you can purchase this online but its extra 13 or so.
ffay005 and WilcoRoger like this.
Old Mar 3, 2023, 6:43 am

Programs: AY+Plat

Sounds like you are buying two separate ticket and technically not "connecting". Maybe I have very low risk tolerance but I would not purchase separate tickets with just 3 hours between them.
ffay005 likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2023, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Heading to ALA next month, the only two options were TK and AY/QR. I had to prioritize "reqal AY Plat or TK Gold" so decided via DOH. As now we have strict eco only policy* I wanted the HEL-DOH leg on AY to be able to use vouchers and trying to use Avios for QR.

Finally ended up booking two separate tickets, because only QR wanted to sell me the whole trip in one ticket, all on QR code even the AY flights. AY would sell zilch (that's the spirit!). Amex GBT (corporate agency) only offered TK.

So when booking HEL-DOH, the HEL-ARN-DOH option came out several hundreds cheaper - I went for it, ofc, more points (ca. 33k return eco flex) The ARN-DOH upgrade went thru online, the return is on waitlist.

Now on to QR to try for the Avios upgrade, which seems to have none online...

* so no problem spending 1,6k€ on AY/QR combo in Eco flex, but 1,4k on TK C is no-no. Policy, shmolicy

Originally Posted by lento
Sounds like you are buying two separate ticket and technically not "connecting". Maybe I have very low risk tolerance but I would not purchase separate tickets with just 3 hours between them.
Me neither, but homebound I still went for a 2 hrs connection in DOH, but hand luggage only
intuition likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2023, 12:44 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
* so no problem spending 1,6k on AY/QR combo in Eco flex, but 1,4k on TK C is no-no. Policy, shmolicy
Perhaps a bit OT, but I'm curious.
Is the strict policy a post-pandemic thing?
Also, is it strict Y or is PE allowed?

Curious because Finnair PE launch seems to align decently with a lot of companies moving to a stricter policy. But of course if PE isn't allowed in new stricter policies, PE loses a lot of potential buyers.

Also, if more J flyers are limited to Y flying an airline would be wise to make sure upgrades are working perfectly. It would be a powerful influence on flyers who are able to choose airline but not class.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.