Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair to launch service to Doha (DOH) ex-HEL, ARN, CPH

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 29, 2022, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: VilBur
HEL-DOH AY1981 16:00-23:45 333 16DEC22-
DOH-HEL AY1982 08:00-14:15 333 17DEC22-

ARN-DOH AY1983 15:10-23:50 333 01NOV22-
DOH-ARN AY1984 08:10-13:25 333 02NOV22-

CPH-DOH AY1985 15:15-23:30 333 01NOV22-
DOH-CPH AY1986 08:15-13:10 333 02NOV22-

Flights are considered long-haul (AY+ awards & accrual as well as complimentary meals in all classes of travel).

AY and QR both have set quotas and specifically allocated seats on board. At least on the ARN service, the AY quota in J is 7 seats (1L, 2DHL, 3DHL) and the Y quota is 61 seats (3136 DEGHJL, 59JL, 6163DEGHJL.

The PE cabin is not sold by either airline. The PE seats belong to the QR quota and can be assigned to QR Y pax at no extra charge.

Transferring at DOH, you will have access to the following lounges when departing on AY or QR, in descending order:
1. Al Safwa, for QR customers ticketed in F. Close to the bear
2. Al Mourjan lounges, for AY & QR customers ticketed in J (J Light not eligible). Al Mourjan South is close to the bear (escalator up right next to the escalator coming down from transfer security). Al Mourjan North (Al Mourjan Garden) entrance is located between the northern stop of the intra-terminal train and The Orchard. Al Mourjan North lounge is twice as big as Al Mourjan South and has views over The Orchard.
3. Qatar Airways Platinum & Gold Lounge North, for Golds, Platinums and Lumos regardless of class of travel. This lounge is a shared Platinum & Gold lounge. Entrance near gate C14
4. Qatar Airways Platinum Lounge South, for Platinums and Lumos regardless of class of travel. At gate A1.
5. Qatar Airways Gold Lounge South, for Golds, Platinums and Lumos regardless of class of travel. At gate A1 (shared entrance with the Platinum Lounge South)

All lounges operate 24/7.

Print Wikipost

Finnair to launch service to Doha (DOH) ex-HEL, ARN, CPH

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2023, 5:56 pm

Programs: AY Gold
Originally Posted by joorinainen
Can you book example HEL-DOH-BKK award through AY website?
Yeah and pretty good availibility it seems. Also ex-ARN/CPH.
joorinainen likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 7:10 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by r2d2
Probably yes, if the 4Y wet leases are more profitable than AY's own routes to 2nd tier US cities from HEL. If that's the case, AY can cut some of the US routes when they need more planes for increasing demand in Asia.
Like on queue, Topi Manner confirmed that the 4Y wetlease deals ends with the W22/23 season. AY needs their A359 and will not lease A330 out. Oh well.

https://www.aero.de/news-44277/Finna...ver-endet.html
r2d2 and SPBanker like this.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 7:15 am

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Topi Manner confirmed that the 4Y wetlease deals ends with the W22/23 season
Confirmed where?
Old Jan 12, 2023, 7:20 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by remymartin
I find the implementation of the QR/AY collaboration bizarre. Not only do the carriers have their own capacity, but also pre assigned seats - e.g on a ticket Im holding AY marketed can only select 1L, rows 2 and 3 D H L whereas QR retains retains all other seats - 1ADH, A in row 2 and 3 and all seats from row 4 and up.
I recall QF and OZ had the same 'hard' code-share between SYD and ICN - on OZ metal in C, QF had the right hand side and OZ had the left hand side and all the middle seats. So the right hand side was mostly occupied by Caucasians and left hand side by Asians (with me normally being the only Caucasian on the left hand side)
r2d2, ffay005, vulle and 3 others like this.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 7:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by OH-LGG
Confirmed where?
In Oliver2022's link, a spokesman for Eurowings states that the deal with AY will end when the summer schedule starts.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 8:33 am

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by ffay005
In Oliver2022's link, a spokesman for Eurowings states that the deal with AY will end when the summer schedule starts.
Yes I can see it but is Topi working as 4Y spokesman?
Old Jan 12, 2023, 9:34 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
My bad, Topi said something in 2022, which the Aero.de guys quoted in the article. They obviously double checked with the 4Y spokesperson.
Old Jan 14, 2023, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Greetings from ARN-DOH! The process at ARN felt a lot less chaotic than last summer when I flew AY to LAX but nevertheles, not very nice. They wanted to cram everyone into a small holdin pen an hour before boarding (but of course there was nothing to prevent you from staying outside untl boarding actually started).

Entering the gate area, I was up for an interrogation. The gate agent did not recognize my self-printed BP. ”Is this all you have”, she asked, and started typing away on her computer. Am I flying back to Sweden? When? Do I have a visa? Do I have a hotel booking? Can I show the hotel booking? It took a while and then she produced an airport-printed BP.

Boarding strated at 14:41 and was for J pax only. After two minutes, they started boarding everyone else. No groups.

Y is rather full. In J, there are only 14 pax, me being the only AY pax. All other AY seats are empty. The usual AY amenities are provided, including the memory foam pillow! Amenity kit, slippers 0.5 L water bottle etc.

Fueling was still going on during boarding, which might be the reason why the J FAs where hiding in the front galley, chatting away. When fueling was completed, they emerged with PDBs and before take-off the Swedish purser came to give a Lumo talk. So far the cabin crew seems friendly, no complaints at all. The welcome announcement was given in English and Swedish, followed by Finnish, as apparently at least one of the cabin crew is Finnish. Cockipt crew are from Finland, too, and greeted us in all three languages.

Boarding was completed at 15:03, 7 min before STD, but then they had some problems with one of the slides and when that was cleared, another problem with the air conditioning, so in the end, we took off 30 min after STD. Flying time is estimated at 6 hours, so we are expeting an on-time arrival.

The trilingual (Eng/Fin/Swe) menu is not the same as ex-HEL.

Starters:
Grilled chicken with creamy potatoes, pickled radish and ramson oil AND
Marinated fennel with pickled shimeji mushroom with redwood sorrel

Main courses:
Beef cheek with potato and celeriac pure and blue cheese sauce OR
Baked salmon with blue mussel and crayfish, Jerusalem artichoke and cream sauce OR
Pea risotto with celeriac and Brussels sprouts

Desserts:
Cheeses AND/OR
Blackcurrant mousse OR
Chocolate tartlet with apple
Old Jan 14, 2023, 9:40 am
Original Poster

The meal was served 50 minutes after take-off.

The starters are strange. A bit like when an African airline wants to serve western cuisine but they don't really know what to do with the ingredients, so they end up serving cold shrimp on a bed of grated carrots. Edible, yes, but strange. One plate had a few slices of cold, grilled chicken breast with cold mashed potato. The other one came with grated cabbage soaked in vinegar as well as shimejis and a reddish mousse, soaked in vinegar.

I chose the salmon, and the dish I got consisted of a minuscule piece of fish and lots of different kind of vegetables. It was good, though, and not overcooked.

The blackcurrant mousse and the chocolate tart were good.
miamiflyer8 likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2023, 9:44 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by ffay005
The starters are strange. A bit like when an African airline wants to serve western cuisine but they don't really know what to do with the ingredients, so they end up serving cold shrimp on a bed of grated carrots.
LOL!
And so true. Chinese carriers do the same.

And remove the shrimp and you get a full fledged Finnair sustainable meal!!
ffay005 likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2023, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Midflight, a fruit plate was proactively offered (or actually a glass with fresh fruit) and appreciated. I also asked for some Fazer chocolates, which were available.

1 h 50 min before landing, the second meal was served. The menu read:
Quiche Lorraine with roasted chicken, pumpkin, salad and fresh fruits.

The pie was called Quiche Lorraine in English and Swedish, but ham pie in Finnish. I failed to find any ham in there, though. I would say cheese and Bell peppers, but who knows. Then there was a plate with two slices of the same grilled chicken that was served with the first meal, but this time it came with two cherry tomatoes and some barley and vegetables. And a plate of berries and fruit.

There is definitely enough food for a 6+ hour flight, but it surprises me that the exact same concept is used on flights of 13 hours or more.

The crew is friendly and attentive. Instead of ”katotaan”, their catchphrase is ”Det fixar vi!” with a smile. They are all based in Stockholm. I was under the impression the base would be in DOH.
SPBanker, intuition and Steve_Hun like this.
Old Jan 14, 2023, 1:51 pm

Pork on a Middle-Eastern flight seems very odd so I hope there was no ham in the Quiche.
intuition likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2023, 1:55 pm

So there was nothing recorded in Arabic?
Old Jan 14, 2023, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nordic
Pork on a Middle-Eastern flight seems very odd so I hope there was no ham in the Quiche.
Good point, I didn't even think about that! Not that there were any Qataris on the flight. J was western ppl only.

Originally Posted by nordic
So there was nothing recorded in Arabic?
Nothing.

AY and QR seats received the same service, no difference there.

I walked through the plane and counted about 60 empty seats in Y, many of which were Comfort seats and 3 of which were PE seats. Those lucky to get a PE seat also received an amenity kit.

The FAs told me that all AY arrivals use stands at DOH. When we landed a minute past midnight (STA 23:50), we parked next to the other two AY planes that had already arrived. There was a dedicated J bus, never seen that on AY before. However, AY arrivals cannot use the QR J arrivals service.

I was in my hotel 55 minutes after touchdown (by taxi).

I would say the flight exceeded my expectations. The J cabin was calm, the FAs were great and there was enough food.

Also bear in mind that my cash upgrade cost 126 EUR (and I was the only AY J pax on this flight).
nordic, vulle, joorinainen and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 8:05 am
Original Poster

AY ARN-DOH J meal

AY ARN-DOH J dessert

AY ARN-DOH J midflight snack

AY ARN-DOH J second service

Here are the pictures from yesterday's flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.