Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair to launch service to Doha (DOH) ex-HEL, ARN, CPH

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 29, 2022, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: VilBur
HEL-DOH AY1981 16:00-23:45 333 16DEC22-
DOH-HEL AY1982 08:00-14:15 333 17DEC22-

ARN-DOH AY1983 15:10-23:50 333 01NOV22-
DOH-ARN AY1984 08:10-13:25 333 02NOV22-

CPH-DOH AY1985 15:15-23:30 333 01NOV22-
DOH-CPH AY1986 08:15-13:10 333 02NOV22-

Flights are considered long-haul (AY+ awards & accrual as well as complimentary meals in all classes of travel).

AY and QR both have set quotas and specifically allocated seats on board. At least on the ARN service, the AY quota in J is 7 seats (1L, 2DHL, 3DHL) and the Y quota is 61 seats (3136 DEGHJL, 59JL, 6163DEGHJL.

The PE cabin is not sold by either airline. The PE seats belong to the QR quota and can be assigned to QR Y pax at no extra charge.

Transferring at DOH, you will have access to the following lounges when departing on AY or QR, in descending order:
1. Al Safwa, for QR customers ticketed in F. Close to the bear
2. Al Mourjan lounges, for AY & QR customers ticketed in J (J Light not eligible). Al Mourjan South is close to the bear (escalator up right next to the escalator coming down from transfer security). Al Mourjan North (Al Mourjan Garden) entrance is located between the northern stop of the intra-terminal train and The Orchard. Al Mourjan North lounge is twice as big as Al Mourjan South and has views over The Orchard.
3. Qatar Airways Platinum & Gold Lounge North, for Golds, Platinums and Lumos regardless of class of travel. This lounge is a shared Platinum & Gold lounge. Entrance near gate C14
4. Qatar Airways Platinum Lounge South, for Platinums and Lumos regardless of class of travel. At gate A1.
5. Qatar Airways Gold Lounge South, for Golds, Platinums and Lumos regardless of class of travel. At gate A1 (shared entrance with the Platinum Lounge South)

All lounges operate 24/7.

Print Wikipost

Finnair to launch service to Doha (DOH) ex-HEL, ARN, CPH

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2023, 1:08 pm

Can QR staff at outstations or DOH assign someone booked via AY to a PE seat? One of my upgrades cleared but I'm a bit uncertain about the other one as the AY-block in J looks quite full
Old Apr 14, 2023, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
I’m on ARN-HEL in C - very low LF in the pointy end - 7 pax on 28 seats. A lot of Indian pax in Y, probs good connections to many destinations on the subcontinent in DOH.

And JP both on HEL-ARN and ARN-DOH in C (secret op-up on the shor hop to ARN - I never knew it before somebody else came claiming my 10A sear. Purser said that I’m in 1F…)

BP in ARN says - “AY plat, business flex. No lounge access included. This invitation is for 2 persons”

Last edited by WilcoRoger; Apr 14, 2023 at 9:03 am Reason: Deleted incorrect seat info and added LF
Old Apr 14, 2023, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Flying to DOH in about 1.5 months, and the AY quota in the J cabin is empty. As in, I asked if I can book 7 tickets and Janica said, yes.
Old Apr 22, 2023, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ffay005
Flying to DOH in about 1.5 months, and the AY quota in the J cabin is empty. As in, I asked if I can book 7 tickets and Janica said, yes.
Yesterday's DOH-ARN had only 7 (seven) pax in the pointy end. 25% LF.

BTW, it was rather weird, being on an AY flight with Swedish crew. They were very actively calling me "Roger" while every other airline I've been on it's always "Mr Wilco" Ah, and the announcements are in rijkssvensk, not muuminsvensk
Old Apr 26, 2023, 4:52 am

Programs: AY+Plat
Originally Posted by mpkz
Can QR staff at outstations or DOH assign someone booked via AY to a PE seat? One of my upgrades cleared but I'm a bit uncertain about the other one as the AY-block in J looks quite full
Did you have any success in this ?
Old Apr 26, 2023, 5:17 am

Originally Posted by lento
Did you have any success in this ?
Upgrade went through so I didn't try, in retrospect I should have tried to ask check-in to assign me a QR-seat in J just to see if the seats are blocked off or not.
lento likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2023, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

A few datapoints based on my HEL-DOH on 01JUN:

- memory foam pillows have made a partial comeback; the FA said they have a few on board, and the new normal is the same as the pre-new-J normal, ie a few are loaded on each flight and pax in the know can request them

- cabin crew on the HEL-DOH flights is not outsourced, I was under the impression that all DOH routes have outsourced cabin crew

- my flight had a gate arrival at DOH, next to another AY plane, so not all AY flights get a stand

- the second service has been reduced to a sad bagel in J (even if AY claimed this would be the case only for JFK and DXB)

- J had only a handful of pax while PE was almost full with only two empty seats, Y had a load factor of perhaps 70 %
mpkz and lento like this.
Old Jun 4, 2023, 12:12 am

- my flight had a gate arrival at DOH, next to another AY plane, so not all AY flights get a stand

- J had only a handful of pax while PE was almost full with only two empty seats, Y had a load factor of perhaps 70 %
My flight HEL-DOH on 27th May and DOH-HEL 2nd June both had gate arrival as well

PE is full because anyone on Y that has QR ticket can select them for free.

Plat and Gold lounge north has much extensive food menu than Plat lounge South.
ffay005 and FFlash like this.
Old Jun 4, 2023, 6:41 am

A few datapoints based on my HEL-DOH on 01JUN:

- the second service has been reduced to a sad bagel in J (even if AY claimed this would be the case only for JFK and DXB)
Had non-bus gates on HEL-DOH and DOH-HEL in April and saw other AY aircraft there too, so it seems that's the norm.

The catering on the morning flight from DOH-HEL was horrible, the menu didn't match the food and a bagel sounds delicious compared to the cold pita + hummus + carrot sticks they gave us.

Upgraded AY ticket had access to al Mourjan on departure as expected (didn't try when arriving because of short connection), DOH airport was more of a zoo than I remembered from 2019, incredible that such a new airport can be such a mess (also hate that they closed the WH Smiths, meaning there are no real convenience stores there)
FFlash likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2023, 9:34 am
Original Poster

I would like to know how AY "fast track" security at DOH is supposed to work.

I flew DOH-HEL this morning, on AY codes, and had a QR-printed BP saying "fast track". As the BP was printed by QR at SEZ, it looked just like a QR BP, and after my overnight transit, I decided to enter the terminal via door 1. I waved my BP at an agent a few meters away who directed me left to the J check-in area and security and nobody asked a thing. But the agent could not possibly see that my QR BP was actually for a flight on a different airline, so I am not sure I was actually technically allowed to go that way.

In January, I had a self-printed AY BP saying the usual "priority", and the AY check-in desk said there is a priority queue at security. But the first checkpoint I came across was a regular one, and as it was deserted, I just entered that way.

So is there a non-QR fast track security checkpoint at DOH departures?
Old Jun 12, 2023, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ARN-DOH: when we landed (gate arrival) there was another AY bird already there

DOH-ARN: 3 neighbouring gates (at the end of the terminal) were AY gates, HEL, CPH and ARN, both boarding nearly at the same time. Had a home feeling to it, only AY aircraft to be seen
Old Jun 20, 2023, 8:50 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Very interesting Flightradar24 video of an ARN-DOH flight on the AY A330, including footage from the flight deck with the pilots Also features the AirLounge seat and cabin service.

SPBanker and mpkz like this.
Old Jun 20, 2023, 9:00 am

Ahhh I would love to be able to experience the flight deck like that!
Old Nov 12, 2023, 3:40 am
Original Poster

Do we have any list of QR-operated AY codeshare destinations? I am thinking of perhaps buying a Y ticket somewhere, AY flight numbers, wishing for a supercheap upgrade on the Nordics to DOH leg and vv.
NoWindowSeat likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2023, 4:51 am

Do we have any list of QR-operated AY codeshare destinations? I am thinking of perhaps buying a Y ticket somewhere, AY flight numbers, wishing for a supercheap upgrade on the Nordics to DOH leg and vv.
JNB
SGN
MLE
DPS
NBO
SEZ.....
Lastweek I got opuped on QR leg to KTM( HEL-DOH on AY code not eligible to select PE seat, DOH-KTM QR code and upgraded at gate).
ffay005 and joorinainen like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.