Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New AY Visa Credit card with Aktia

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2022, 1:28 pm

Programs: AY+ Platinum / FlyingBlue Gold
I'm UK based and got a popup in my Finnair app today, promoting the new credit card. It however is not available for people living ex-FI/SE is it?
Old Jun 8, 2022, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by EuroFlash
I'm UK based and got a popup in my Finnair app today, promoting the new credit card. It however is not available for people living ex-FI/SE is it?
Well, at least I was not able to change the country when applying for the card so probably it is only for those living in Finland.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 2:30 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Seems like the manual process is slow at aktia...
Old Jun 9, 2022, 2:43 am

Originally Posted by kauppias
Seems like the manual process is slow at aktia...
I also asked to be processed through the manual process after the algorithm rejected me, it's been two days and no reply yet. But they did say it might take up to three days. We'll see!
kauppias likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 2:50 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by cheesyfeet
I also asked to be processed through the manual process after the algorithm rejected me, it's been two days and no reply yet. But they did say it might take up to three days. We'll see!
i did not let them have access to my account instead I chose to manually send them my pay stub, I dont trust Banks having full access to all files 😁😁😁
Old Jun 9, 2022, 3:25 am

i did not let them have access to my account instead I chose to manually send them my pay stub, I dont trust Banks having full access to all files 😁😁😁
Yes, a friend of mine applied for the card as well, and let Aktia inspect the bank account. The service for this is provided by Suomen Asiakastieto (the same company who handles reporting of most Finnish customers' payment defaults etc).

Once you have given Suomen Asiakastieto access, they let you download a .json file of the data they provided Aktia with. That file literally included every single transaction from the last 12 months - so Aktia will be able to see everything - should they want to dig through.

I found that a little bit too big brother-y, so didn't give access myself, but after that (submitting the form without clicking the big blue button giving access), I wasn't given the option to upload a payment stub manually, instead I was rejected right away. I had to call them and then send it separately.

Let us know when they approve you!
Old Jun 9, 2022, 3:27 am

Programs: AY+ Lumo, HH Diamond
Without the monthly fees (6-10 eur) this would be an ok deal.

Compared to a premium credit card that comes free with banking fees that you pay in any case, includes a comprehensive travel insurance, yearly Priority Pass, and 0.5% cash cashback, I'm not sure I want to go all-in on Finnair Plus points.

Eg. let's spend 10 000 eur in a year.
  • This Aktia card costs c. 100 eur in fees, plus the normal c. 100 eur annual banking fees you pay in any case, and gives you 30 000 Finnair Plus award points. Let's be generous and give the AY+ points their maximal value i.e. three Europe upgrades (as opposed to basically everything else on Finnair Shop). Cost: total c. 200 eur in fees. Gain: 30 000 points.
  • The card in comparison: Cost 100 eur in fees. Gain: 50 eur cashback (let's say equivalent to one Europe upgrade), Priority Pass, and a comprehensive travel insurance to complement any other private insurance.

To me it seems there must be a compelling reason to go all-in on Finnair Plus award points with your credit card. In general it's not worthwhile to buy points for use on Finnair Shop, there's consistent markups and no matter what you buy you lose compared to cash. So upgrades (and awards) seem the best value of points.
Abducted Alien likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 3:30 am

Originally Posted by cheesyfeet
Back in the day when a smaller website was linked from Slashdot and it went down due to traffic, it was called being slashdotted. So, maybe with all flyertalkers signing up for Aktia's AY credit card on one day, we have managed to flyertalked them down?
cistavoda and kauppias like this.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 3:37 am

Originally Posted by zxcv1
Without the monthly fees (6-10 eur) this would be an ok deal.

Compared to a premium credit card that comes free with banking fees that you pay in any case, includes a comprehensive travel insurance, yearly Priority Pass, and 0.5% cash cashback, I'm not sure I want to go all-in on Finnair Plus points.

Eg. let's spend 10 000 eur in a year.
  • This Aktia card costs c. 100 eur in fees, plus the normal c. 100 eur annual banking fees you pay in any case, and gives you 30 000 Finnair Plus award points. Let's be generous and give the AY+ points their maximal value i.e. three Europe upgrades (as opposed to basically everything else on Finnair Shop). Cost: total c. 200 eur in fees. Gain: 30 000 points.
  • The card in comparison: Cost 100 eur in fees. Gain: 50 eur cashback (let's say equivalent to one Europe upgrade), Priority Pass, and a comprehensive travel insurance to complement any other private insurance.

To me it seems there must be a compelling reason to go all-in on Finnair Plus award points with your credit card. In general it's not worthwhile to buy points for use on Finnair Shop, there's consistent markups and no matter what you buy you lose compared to cash. So upgrades (and awards) seem the best value of points.

2 questions,

1.where does the second 100€ fee come from? If you only take this caRd and pay in full it evidently is 72€/year

2. Which card offers PP and 0,5% cash back for 100€ a year?

I dont go all in with ay pts but for 50k spend you get a free RT in J to Asia so say a 1500-3000€ "value" vs 250€ cash back ?
r2d2, Abducted Alien and lkrt like this.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 3:38 am

Originally Posted by manywhere
Back in the day when a smaller website was linked from Slashdot and it went down due to traffic, it was called being slashdotted. So, maybe with all flyertalkers signing up for Aktia's AY credit card on one day, we have managed to flyertalked them down?

They propably got 40 applications from here but I bet alot of people were excited to get ay status for free with this card not knowing that silver isnt much. Still a very solid offer
Old Jun 9, 2022, 3:47 am

Programs: AY+ Lumo, HH Diamond
2 questions,

1.where does the second 100€ fee come from? If you only take this caRd and pay in full it evidently is 72€/year

2. Which card offers PP and 0,5% cash back for 100€ a year?

I dont go all in with ay pts but for 50k spend you get a free RT in J to Asia so say a 1500-3000€ "value" vs 250€ cash back ?
1. From banking fees that you pay in any case if you have a bank account. You pay them and the Aktia card fees on top, or you pay just the banking fees and use a card that is included for free.

2. Check e.g. Danske Bank Mastercard Platinum that has 0.5% cashback and PP, and is included in their premium package. I'm not entirely sure how "premium" this Aktia card is so whether my comparison is entirely valid in that sense. Just my thoughts and two cents. Still, I think justifying Finnair Plus award points over direct cashback is a bit difficult, though spending amounts and such do matter as you point out.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 3:53 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Danske’s premium mastercard includes two PP entrances a year, not worth much more than 50 EUR at best. Additionally, the cashback can only be used to set off banking fees.
NoWindowSeat and kauppias like this.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 3:55 am

Originally Posted by zxcv1
1. From banking fees that you pay in any case if you have a bank account. You pay them and the Aktia card fees on top, or you pay just the banking fees and use a card that is included for free.

2. Check e.g. Danske Bank Mastercard Platinum that has 0.5% cashback and PP, and is included in their premium package. I'm not entirely sure how "premium" this Aktia card is so whether my comparison is entirely valid in that sense. Just my thoughts and two cents. Still, I think justifying Finnair Plus award points over direct cashback is a bit difficult, though spending amounts and such do matter as you point out.

Ok but those bank account fees are collected regardless so not sure they are relevant here in a comparison 🤷‍♂️

Does danske not charge other fees ontop to bank with them with this 100€ card fee?
I dont bank with danske and wont so its no use to me, but if they really offer PP for that its a good deal, though most likely limited to 1/2/3/4 visits per year.

It most certainly does depend on the use but I would be willing to bet ANYONE can get more value the. 0,5% with 3p per euro even if used to buy gas cards or restaurant vouchers but perhaps I will dig in deeper when I get home to the PC...

even with the current cards its a easy 25k points a month
Old Jun 9, 2022, 3:56 am

Originally Posted by lkrt
Danske’s premium mastercard includes two PP entrances a year, not worth much more than 50 EUR at best. Additionally, the cashback can only be used to set off banking fees.
I figured as much

Apples to Oranges...

But not every card works for everyone.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 4:09 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
even with the current cards its a easy 25k points a month
For you or in general?

If it is in general then this sounds like manufactured spending. You talk about a 150k€ spent per year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.