Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Experiences of AY flights during COVID-19

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Experiences of AY flights during COVID-19

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2021, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Cantongirl, thanks, a very interesting report!

As this has been going on for 15 months already, one would imagine AY and Finavia would agree to cordon off some area at the empty non-Schengen terminal and borrow some 200 beds from the army. Shouldn't be that difficult. It's no hotel, but a 200-person dorm with beds would definitely be better than to have people sleep on chairs. A one-off irrop maybe, but 15 months...
Old May 31, 2021, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by ffay005
Lo and behold – OLCI actually worked! I'm flying HEL-ARN 01JUN. As of today, Sweden abolished all additional travel requirements for pax from Finland (and the Nordics).
Mass tourism salad DO in STO?
cistavoda and FFlash like this.
Old May 31, 2021, 10:16 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Mass tourism salad DO in STO?
The "younger" ones aren't even vaccinated yet, making it difficult to get back Suomeen.

A domestic DO may be more reasonable still.
Old May 31, 2021, 12:14 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Ah, make it a political statement!
"We are drinking beer in Sweden until government changes entry rules!!"
cistavoda likes this.
Old May 31, 2021, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by intuition
Ah, make it a political statement!
"We are drinking beer in Sweden until government changes entry rules!!"
At this time, Finnair rules, not Finnish government entry rules, are the problem.

Specifically Finland still allows free arrival testing. But Finnair makes it effectively impossible if not vaccinated. Don't get me wrong; I understand and respect Finnair's standpoint. But the end result is that it's still much safer to travel domestic at this time for people not eligible to vaccination.
Old May 31, 2021, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Don't SK fly ARN-HEL these days?
intuition likes this.
Old May 31, 2021, 3:18 pm

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Don't SK fly ARN-HEL these days?
Next flight maybe on 06JUN21
Old Jun 1, 2021, 2:47 am
Original Poster

Bookings made after 27 May are eligible for changes up to 48 hours before departure. Before that, it was 72 hours.
intuition likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 6:06 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Lo and behold – OLCI actually worked! I'm flying HEL-ARN 01JUN. As of today, Sweden abolished all additional travel requirements for pax from Finland (and the Nordics). Yesterday, when I did OLCI, the system refused to issue a BP but now it's there.
If Sweden did, how about AY still require their own silly buttwipepapers?

Let’s DO it then. What is “äijät juo kaljaa” in proper swedish?
Old Jun 1, 2021, 6:17 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo
Originally Posted by FFlash
If Sweden did, how about AY still require their own silly buttwipepapers?

Let’s DO it then. What is “äijät juo kaljaa” in proper swedish?
Äijor dricker kaljen.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 7:13 am

Programs: SK EBG, AY+ Gold (until 06/24), BT VIP
Originally Posted by FFlash
What is “äijät juo kaljaa” in proper swedish?
Gubbar dricker öl?
intuition and Superrman like this.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Quick recap HEL-ARN-HEL today:

I got a BP from OLCI for HEL-ARN, but went to the desk anyway because I needed a BP for the return. I had two separate tickets, and the agent started with HEL-ARN. She asked for a covid test, and I said it is not needed. Then she asked if I’m a Swedish citizen. Then she took her phone and checked the regulations and stated that the covid test is needed. I had a certificate, as I didn’t want to get tested on the return at HEL, so I showed it to her, but an agent nearby heard our conversation and confirmed that the test is not needed and that their system hadn’t been updated yet. I wonder what system that is, because Timatic was updated yesterday when I checked. Anyway, after she processed that, she then continued to find my other booking and gave me a BP for that, as well.

Outbound flight 30 pax. No checks on arrival at ARN.

The lounge opened at 11 and was business as usual, with their meagre covid offerings, but at least there is a lounge.

Inbound, I went to the podium at ARN and showed my vaccination certificate printed from Kanta. Accepted with a smile (you never get the CDOK on your HEL-printed same day return BP). About 40 pax on the flight, and the same crew. My Plat greeting, ”Well, that was a quick trip.” Crew was friendly and even apologized personally about our late departure from HEL in the morning (unnecessarily, as we landed on time at ARN anyway, but a very nice gesture).

At HEL, hell was loose because four Schengen flights had arrived in the afternoon wave. First, there was a ten-minute wait to see the health aunties (and I was the first one from my flight in that queue, with a prefilled form) and then another 20 minutes at passport control.

They currently have one queue for everyone at passport control, and when you reach the booths, a lady stood there asking if you are an EU citizen and directing you to the two EU booths. What for, when Swedes and Estonias get the same interrogation as Tanzanians and Bangladeshis do? They should have one or two booths for Finnish citizens, who cannot be interrogated, and a separate queue.

I wonder how that will work now when everyone starts travelling in the summer.
FFlash likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 9:46 am

Programs: AY LUMO
Yesterday I lined up for passport check 1h 10min coming from Tallink ship with car.

Travelling is now like a torture. Better stay home.
intuition likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 10:08 am

They currently have one queue for everyone at passport control, and when you reach the booths, a lady stood there asking if you are an EU citizen and directing you to the two EU booths. What for, when Swedes and Estonias get the same interrogation as Tanzanians and Bangladeshis do? They should have one or two booths for Finnish citizens, who cannot be interrogated, and a separate queue.
It was exactly like that earlier on in the crisis, and it was rightfully ended. That was blatant discrimination against non-Finnish residents, incl. EU citizens, who had to queue and wait behind difficult cases while Finns, even non-residents, could just swing by.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 10:11 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo
Originally Posted by Courmisch
It was exactly like that earlier on in the crisis, and it was rightfully ended. That was blatant discrimination against non-Finnish residents, incl. EU citizens, who had to queue behind difficult cases while Finns, even non-residents, could just swing by.
Well Finland (and any country) should be allowed to discriminate a litlle when it comes to their own borders and citizens...
EDIT: Residents should count though.
ffay005 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.