Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Experiences of AY flights during COVID-19

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Experiences of AY flights during COVID-19

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2021, 11:25 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo
Originally Posted by RobHK
I also saw that HEL-ARN is running a 2+2 seat airplane. What's up with that, I thought travel was back on between Sweden and Finland?
It's a fixed wing aircraft that will get you from a to b. What's your point?
Old Jun 25, 2021, 3:41 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by cistavoda
from a to b.
On a domestic flight that actually arrives in a different country
Old Jun 25, 2021, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
I have booked my summer trip to Europe finally: HKG-HEL-ARN and then back to HKG two weeks later. I have about 1h20m for the transfer in HEL, pre-covid this was plenty of time. Should I be worried now with all the extra procedures that it will be tight to make it? Anything I can do to prepare (papers etc) to speed up the process?

I also saw that HEL-ARN is running a 2+2 seat airplane. What's up with that, I thought travel was back on between Sweden and Finland?
Europe is still very much a graveyard as far as travel is concerned. AY operates ARN flights with an ATR propeller plane. Please note that overhead bins are tiny. A normal rollaboard will not fit if it's even slightly overpacked.

1 h 20 min will be more than enough. As you are a transfer pax, there will be no health inspections to slow you down. It's transit security and passport control at HEL just as usual. And your flight from HKG will likely be almost empty.

Sweden does require a lot of red tape from non-EU citizens, I believe, but I'm sure you've checked that out.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 10:07 pm

Programs: AY
It's a fixed wing aircraft that will get you from a to b. What's your point?
Well first of all I don't enjoy flying, especially have an issue with tiny airplanes as they rock around much more during turbulence. Second like pointed out below the overhead bins is tiny in these planes and would not fit my Rimowa that I potentially would bring as handcarry, now I will only bring a back-pack instead probably.

Originally Posted by ffay005
Europe is still very much a graveyard as far as travel is concerned. AY operates ARN flights with an ATR propeller plane. Please note that overhead bins are tiny. A normal rollaboard will not fit if it's even slightly overpacked.

1 h 20 min will be more than enough. As you are a transfer pax, there will be no health inspections to slow you down. It's transit security and passport control at HEL just as usual. And your flight from HKG will likely be almost empty.

Sweden does require a lot of red tape from non-EU citizens, I believe, but I'm sure you've checked that out.
Great thanks! I do have a EU passport.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 10:45 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Well an ATR is not tiny.
cistavoda likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 2:19 am
Original Poster

Great thanks! I do have a EU passport.

With an EU passport, you shouldn't have any problems. Actually, flying via HEL is very sensible as you will not have any controls on arrival at ARN. No health check, no passport control, nothing. (Applies to everyone flying into Sweden from a Nordic country.)
Old Jun 26, 2021, 2:37 pm

Nothing required when entering Sweden from a Nordic country, not even if it's just a transit point. If you arrive from an EU/Schengen country (other than a Nordic country), then you will need a recent test result, nothing else. If flying via HEL to ARN, then you will need to enter the Schengen Area at HEL, so check if this is permitted under the current Finnish rules.
Old Jun 27, 2021, 4:51 am
Original Poster

Okay, so a nonstop HKG-ARN, if it existed, would be difficult but 1 h 20 min at HEL airport changes everything and pax are good to enter Sweden. The logic here is just unbelievable I wish it was as easy to fly to the US, but 1 h 20 min is not enough, they want 15 days

HEL transfer should not be a problem. Finland allows airside transfers for EU passport holders as long as pax have the right to enter the destination country.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 5:03 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, SK *G, Hertz President's Circle
After security, you can go to Aspire if you like, and then return to gate 22 where there is a border control checkpoint. I would assume they will let you through with an ID as you have a domestic BP. You can always say you mistook the route and didn't see the signs, if they ask.
Just to say thank you: this worked perfectly! On the way back to the domestic gates, they didn't want to see the BP but just asked where I was flying to. Otherwise no questions and no queue. Even though the offerings at Aspire were a little basic, it was still refreshing to be in a lounge after a long while...
ffay005 and SPBanker like this.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 6:33 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
I’m flying for the first time in more than 6 months and contemplating whether Aspire is worth the 28-euro entrance charge. I guess not purely based on the offering?
Old Jun 28, 2021, 9:50 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo
Originally Posted by lkrt
I’m flying for the first time in more than 6 months and contemplating whether Aspire is worth the 28-euro entrance charge. I guess not purely based on the offering?
How many 10€ salads were you planning to have at Oak Barrel?
SPBanker, lkrt and Steve_Hun like this.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 10:00 am

How many 10€ salads were you planning to have at Oak Barrel?
Ok, so three or more salads will suffice!
SPBanker and cistavoda like this.
Old Jun 29, 2021, 12:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, SK *G, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by lkrt
I went in on my PP but probably would not have been happy to pay 28 euros. The food offerings consisted of bread, basic salad ingredients, a cold potato-sausage mishmash, ham and cheese. For drinks there were anodyne white and red wine, cheap spirits and a soft drink station. The coffee machine made me a nice enough cappuccino. Oh, and there were crisps. I suppose if the normal price of a g&t in Finland is 10-15 euros, with two of those you could drink the entrance fee back...
lkrt and cistavoda like this.
Old Jun 29, 2021, 1:04 am

Originally Posted by GaryK84
I went in on my PP but probably would not have been happy to pay 28 euros. The food offerings consisted of bread, basic salad ingredients, a cold potato-sausage mishmash, ham and cheese. For drinks there were anodyne white and red wine, cheap spirits and a soft drink station. The coffee machine made me a nice enough cappuccino. Oh, and there were crisps. I suppose if the normal price of a g&t in Finland is 10-15 euros, with two of those you could drink the entrance fee back...
Thanks a lot! I'd probably not pay 28 euros for such an offering in normal times, but desperate times call for desperate measures!
cistavoda, on22cz and Steve_Hun like this.
Old Jul 2, 2021, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
No mask policing on HEL-LHR! We had it on when boarding, took it off soon after. Nobody mentioned it during the whole flight. Big change from last autumn, when they policed even your nose...

Social distancing was easy, 7 rows of C with total of 4 pax...

Crew was masked, though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.