Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Experiences of AY flights during COVID-19

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Experiences of AY flights during COVID-19

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2021, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
EDI-HEL with Norra - unfortunately very uptight FAs, regularly policing mask wearing and if nose is covered - huge difference to HEL-LHR. Really fed up with this circus. However, very happy about the direct flight, no need to transit at LHR! Btw, EDI is really dead, most everything (shops, lounges) is closed - the Tax free and a WH Smith are open as well as 2 Neros and 1 Burger King.

(just make sure you arrive to England, as the Scots still have the mandatory hotel quarantine at £2,5k ) We did and still wasted £600 on useless tests (day 2 & 8 + TTR at day 5) - the whole system is just a money grabbing scam.

I wrote about the arrival THL experience on the other topic.
ffay005 and remymartin like this.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 1:51 am

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
(just make sure you arrive to England, as the Scots still have the mandatory hotel quarantine at £2,5k ) We did and still wasted £600 on useless tests (day 2 & 8 + TTR at day 5) - the whole system is just a money grabbing scam.
I don't understand this - arriving from Finland (amber) to Scotland was home isolation only until today (now UK vaccinated have no isolation), or have I missed something? No TTR in Scotland so that could be a benefit of arriving in England.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ft101
I don't understand this - arriving from Finland (amber) to Scotland was home isolation only until today (now UK vaccinated have no isolation), or have I missed something? No TTR in Scotland so that could be a benefit of arriving in England.
AFAIK Scotland had no home isolation - maybe I read the rules incorrectly.

In our case it was 5 days at home in London, day 5 TTR at Stansted and continue straight on northwards.By the time we reached our destination, we received the negative results. Spent a few days in the North of England then crossed over to Scotland, where we couldn't have a table for 10, but we could have joined 64.000 people in Wembley or 140.000 in Silverstone... getting offtopic here.

Did our "day 8 or later" test on day 16, just to have something back for our money paid...
Old Jul 19, 2021, 11:38 am

Programs: AY ex-Lumo, TK Elite, BT VIP, ITA Executive
This era will make me allergic to Norra. NO Recognition Regional Airline with a good share of staff looking as if they were dragged onto the plane to serve the flights. And it’s difficult to find Airbus flights with mainline crews. Sad development.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 1:51 pm

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by on22cz
And it’s difficult to find Airbus flights with mainline crews. Sad development.
Not so difficult as it was couple months ago. Now 4 A319's and 8 A321's in use.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
I will be taking my longest E90 flights shortly, to DBV and back. I believe no tour operators offer holidays to Croatia yet, so I would assume those flights remain rather empty. Would anyone have any experience from this route lately?
Old Jul 20, 2021, 12:54 am

AFAIK Scotland had no home isolation - maybe I read the rules incorrectly.
It does, and I'm in it now having arrived via HEL on 10/7/21. I'll be allowed out tomorrow if my Day 8 test results arrive today.
WilcoRoger likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2021, 8:57 am

Programs: AY ex-Lumo, TK Elite, BT VIP, ITA Executive
Originally Posted by OH-LGG
Not so difficult as it was couple months ago. Now 4 A319's and 8 A321's in use.
You are right! The only issue for me is that those planes are mainly utilized on Portugal and Spain routes, which aren't the best destinations now. Almost nothing or very complicated schedule to countries, from which it is easy to return (assuming compliance with the testing and quarantine recommendations).

Originally Posted by ffay005
I will be taking my longest E90 flights shortly, to DBV and back. I believe no tour operators offer holidays to Croatia yet, so I would assume those flights remain rather empty. Would anyone have any experience from this route lately?
Enjoy the ride and upgrade if you can - it makes it bearable. You can text the Finnair's influencer takeovering their instagram account for experience from the Norra flight...
Old Jul 20, 2021, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
I'm seated in the exit row. I'm counting on the flight being mostly empty, but I could be completely wrong, of course. We'll see. I'll buy a 4€ Makula sandwich from Alepa before my flight If it wasn't an early morning flight, I might actually pay for access to the Plaza Premium lounge. I like it a lot.
Old Jul 20, 2021, 9:44 am

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by on22cz
You can text the Finnair's influencer takeovering their instagram account for experience from the Norra flight...
Probably Her opinions come directly from AY communications.
Old Jul 21, 2021, 1:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

HEL-MUC on Norra.

HEL had crowded checkin, they even set up temp counters in the hall - much, much faster than the Plat line (I was directed to go to these if I prefer not to queue ) - security, however was strangely empty, only 1 pax ahead of me (all lines open downstairs) The C/I agent said it was her first week at work after a year (!) on furlough, was a bit unsure if Germany needs a PLF or not (doesn't)

As the lounges are still closed, I looked at the prices of the few F&B outlets open - what planet they are living on? 4,5€ for a 150ml smoothie from the shelf?

The flight was this time in Y (exit row) with no seat block for Plat - I got a burly seatmate, who moved immediately to an empty row behind when he saw me in the A seat. Service is typical Norra (No Recognition Regional Airline) but this time with no mask policing, probably due to lack of any attention to pax (she did ask to cover my nose when she gave the exit seat lecture)

At MUC police made seemingly random checks at the gate for a few pax (vaccination/test docs, I assume) but I simply walked past and out - felt 2019, except that the airport was eerily empty. Hopped on to the LH Cityexpress and was in Schwabing less than an hour from gears down.

PS - I am so confused. In Bavaria I need an FFP2 mask to go most anywhere (hotel breakfast rooms are heavily policing this) but once in Hessen (Frankfurt) the blue surgical masks are just as good. I never had an FFP2 mask, so it was a challenge to procure one.
miamiflyer8 and zxcv1 like this.
Old Jul 21, 2021, 3:15 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
HEL-MUC on Norra.

HEL had crowded checkin, they even set up temp counters in the hall - much, much faster than the Plat line (I was directed to go to these if I prefer not to queue ) - security, however was strangely empty, only 1 pax ahead of me (all lines open downstairs) The C/I agent said it was her first week at work after a year (!) on furlough, was a bit unsure if Germany needs a PLF or not (doesn't)

As the lounges are still closed, I looked at the prices of the few F&B outlets open - what planet they are living on? 4,5€ for a 150ml smoothie from the shelf?

The flight was this time in Y (exit row) with no seat block for Plat - I got a burly seatmate, who moved immediately to an empty row behind when he saw me in the A seat. Service is typical Norra (No Recognition Regional Airline) but this time with no mask policing, probably due to lack of any attention to pax (she did ask to cover my nose when she gave the exit seat lecture)

At MUC police made seemingly random checks at the gate for a few pax (vaccination/test docs, I assume) but I simply walked past and out - felt 2019, except that the airport was eerily empty. Hopped on to the LH Cityexpress and was in Schwabing less than an hour from gears down.

PS - I am so confused. In Bavaria I need an FFP2 mask to go most anywhere (hotel breakfast rooms are heavily policing this) but once in Hessen (Frankfurt) the blue surgical masks are just as good. I never had an FFP2 mask, so it was a challenge to procure one.
In MUC the surgical mask was okay except if you wanted to go in the shops you needed a FFP2 . I got a box at Lidl before leaving in MAY just fro Germany 🤣🤷🏼‍♂️🤦

As for not covering ones nose I keep wondering then I see ppl wearing a mask half asses why Even bother 😄😄 It's like wearing a sock on your hand 🤷🏼‍♂️😂

On LH I dont remember anyone policing masks, on AF/KLM they did say on boarding to a few and gave a surgical mask to those wearing a fabric mask... I flew NOrra plane to CDG in "J" but no policing there, granted I was the only J pax so perhaps they did not care, or I looked so morning grumpy they thought. Better leave him Alone 😄
mpkz likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2021, 3:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was reading the Bavarian gov't website, it specifically says FFP and the breakfast dragon specifically checked if I comply (looked at it )

Not covering the nose - I don't WANT to wear a mask, but if they make me play along with the theatre, I want to get by with as little inconvenience as possible. The virus probably knows that when I'm eating/drinking on board or sitting at a table in the restaurant it must not and cannot infect anyone so no need for a mask, but yay, should I stand up or finish my drink, it's time to get active and infect all around.
Old Jul 21, 2021, 4:02 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
I was reading the Bavarian gov't website, it specifically says FFP and the breakfast dragon specifically checked if I comply (looked at it )

Not covering the nose - I don't WANT to wear a mask, but if they make me play along with the theatre, I want to get by with as little inconvenience as possible. The virus probably knows that when I'm eating/drinking on board or sitting at a table in the restaurant it must not and cannot infect anyone so no need for a mask, but yay, should I stand up or finish my drink, it's time to get active and infect all around.

I doubt ANYONE wants to wear the mask 😄🤷🏼‍♂️ but it is what it is...

I was prepared with the FFP2 masks for Germany but I was pleasantly surprised when surgical seemed ok at the airport in MUC AND on LH flights, the FFP2 masks are quite alot more expensive...

But hopefully soon enough things will go toward a more normal situation, though that may take some time...
Old Jul 21, 2021, 12:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by kauppias
I doubt ANYONE wants to wear the mask 😄🤷🏼‍♂️ but it is what it is...
Yeah, I think most people realize that to travel during a pandemic you may have to make some sacrifices. I'm not sure that I'd be comfortable with the silent disapproval from other passengers associated with not wearing a mask...
kauppias and Teppo like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.