Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Experiences of AY flights during COVID-19

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2020, 6:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels

Some still need to fly during the epidemic, and it would be interesting to hear about what it's like right now. Please add your experiences.

Some scattered info I've heard from friends in the past few days:

- some FAs are completely normal, friendly, chatty etc
- others wear masks and behave in a very timid way and hardly do anything at all but hide in the galley
- most are in the middle
- ARN ATR flights, no service at all, a Plat was proactively offered a cup of water by FA

HEL Departures
- at HEL, only T2 security is open, they've set up makeshift passport control / interrogation booths between security and the duty free shop
- all AY lounges closed, BP ex-HEL doesn't have lounge invitation
- strangely, BP still shows Prio Security although it doesn't exist (and isn't needed, either)

HEL Arrivals
- LHR arrival came to non-Schengen side, pax were able to use jetbridge but were directed to upper floor and then down to passport control so gate area was unreachable without security control
- ARN arrival was by bus, bus driver made a mistake and offloaded pax to the Schengen gate area, pax needed to go through passport control twice to reach arrival hall 2B (the only one used for international arrivals)
- apparently Schengen arrivals should be offloaded to the downstairs passport control area right before arrival hall 2B

Outstations
- BP ex-LHR shows no Prio Security eventhough it's open and running at the airport
- BP ex-LHR shows no lounge invitation, but Plat was allowed to CX F lounge which was operating normally, including à la carte (despite the order to close restaurants being in force)
- nothing out of the ordinary at the airport

- BP ex-ARN shows no Prio Security eventhough the Fast Track at the airport was functional and showed AY logo
- BP ex-ARN shows lounge invitation, Aurora was open (and was to close at 5 pm after the last AY flight); reduced food, normal drinks
- gate agent checked passports; otherwise nothing out of the ordinary
Old Mar 26, 2020, 7:29 am

Programs: HappinesSMiles Silver
Originally Norra ATR crew announced (2 flights) "On this flight there is no service / Tällä lennolla ei ole palvelua". Few days later (1 flight) it was softened to "there is limited service / rajoitettu palvelu".

(At least domestic) Transfers all must go to landside now via 2B arrivals, no access to gates. Saw many people running back to the airside after landing.

Last edited by avermat; Mar 26, 2020 at 2:01 pm
Old Mar 26, 2020, 7:41 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum
Hello FT,

i made a YouTube video when i flew last weekend domestic flight. If you are interested,

Old Mar 26, 2020, 5:22 pm
Original Poster

I understood that domestic arrivals use 2A and all international arrivals use 2B. And that international arrivals are always separated from departing pax, or should be. But is this not the case?
Old Mar 27, 2020, 12:33 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, TK *A Gold
They also limit the access to passport check when arriving to only your own flight in Helsinki. You wait at the door for everyone in the previous flight to go through it before you are allowed to the area. Both automatic gates & the normal manned booths available. This was in effect at least a few days ago.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 6:57 am

Most people still choosing to fly are incredibly irresponsible.
Redmax likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 6:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, Amex Plt, AA AC
I’ve had to make a few round trips AGS-DFW during this and the FA’s, gate agents and customer service at AA have been great. I had allergies on my first flight last week and the attendant was quick to understand ang get me tissues without me asking and another passenger gave me some cough drops. Of course they are being careful and are wearing gloves. I did notice that the FA had put a tissue up over his large vent over where he sits as an added precaution. The planes have been mostly empty and the GA’s have been doing their duty to move people around for more social distancing. We will get through this!
Old Mar 27, 2020, 7:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Akkku
They also limit the access to passport check when arriving to only your own flight in Helsinki. You wait at the door for everyone in the previous flight to go through it before you are allowed to the area. Both automatic gates & the normal manned booths available. This was in effect at least a few days ago.
And then you all end up in the same arrivals hall waiting for your bags?

Originally Posted by mhrb
Most people still choosing to fly are incredibly irresponsible.
Most people still flying probably don't have much, if any, choice. People are heading home as per Government recommendations around the world.
hermanni likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 8:07 am

Not sure if that's the majority but guess it might be.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 7:49 am

Programs: AY LUMO
My experience today at HEL

A picture tells more than 1k words

Old Mar 28, 2020, 8:13 am

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Silver
I'm travelling from Frankfurt to Helsinki and it looks like AY has blocked all middle seats. I must say that my flight from Lima to Vienna on Austrian was very different from usual.
remymartin likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by OH-LGG
My experience today at HEL

A picture tells more than 1k words
Driving along Tikkurilantie (before Aviapolis) it's a sad sight to see much of the fleet parked on the apron. There are two such areas visible from the road. Really sad.
Steve_Hun likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 5:08 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Silver
Tonight my flight from Frankfurt on A319 had 18 passengers. It looks like there is only three flights departing from Frankfurt 2E tomorrow. There were probably more employees at E-gates in Frankfurt than passengers...
remymartin likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 3:47 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Japan will introduce 14 days self-quarantine for arriving int. passengers, starting friday.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 6:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by intuition
Japan will introduce 14 days self-quarantine for arriving int. passengers, starting friday.
What's the restriction now? No entry possible?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.