Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Experiences of AY flights during COVID-19

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Experiences of AY flights during COVID-19

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2020, 1:48 am

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by cistavoda
Some dude coughing behind me
From now on that is the way to get space and get seat block to work if AY does not block seats for Platinums or for Lumos
Old May 17, 2020, 1:26 am

YLE has published article on Finnish air traffic before and after pandemia. It is in Finnish, but at least there is quite a few images and info graphics.
Old May 17, 2020, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
I wonder what AY's rebooking policy will be this summer. I, for instance, have booked SZG flights for July, along with a non-refundable hotel booking. As I don't want to lose the hotel booking, I intend to travel. Per EC261, AY should offer to rebook and there will most likely be connections available (BA via LHR/LGW or LH via FRA, for instance), but is AY willing to take the cost of rebooking or will they simply deny and offer a refund/voucher?
florens likes this.
Old May 17, 2020, 10:34 pm
R2

IIRC, if they notify you of the cancellation at least 14 days before departure, they are not required to re-book you. Refund might well be your only option.
Old May 17, 2020, 10:49 pm

Programs: AY ex-Lumo, TK Elite, BT VIP, ITA Executive
Originally Posted by R2
IIRC, if they notify you of the cancellation at least 14 days before departure, they are not required to re-book you. Refund might well be your only option.
They are. 14-day limit only applies to compensations, not to other Articles of the regulation.
R2 likes this.
Old May 18, 2020, 2:41 am

Fly to MUC and take the train.
Old May 25, 2020, 8:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Social distancing à la Finavia:
- Well, we have 4 flights leaving after 7 in the morning. Where shall we put them?
- Remember that tiny basement area that can barely host pax from one ATR? Let's put the 7:15 and 7:30 flights there at 23A and 23B! And the other flights at gates 22 and 24. Oh, and the 8:40 flight could leave from gate 23.
- That's how well'do it, guys, great!
Old May 25, 2020, 10:03 pm

Programs: AY Platinum Lumo, LX Senator, SK Life-time Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
First time traveling since 2.5 months. The morning peak hour in HEL at 7 AM. Although masks are mandatory during the flight, almost nobody is wearing them at the airport (except personnel).

FFlash and tulokas like this.
Old May 25, 2020, 10:55 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by ffay005
Social distancing à la Finavia:
- Well, we have 4 flights leaving after 7 in the morning. Where shall we put them?
- Remember that tiny basement area that can barely host pax from one ATR? Let's put the 7:15 and 7:30 flights there at 23A and 23B! And the other flights at gates 22 and 24. Oh, and the 8:40 flight could leave from gate 23.
- That's how well'do it, guys, great!
Efficency!
The disinfection-crew only need to swipe a small area and can be done by 9:00!!
ffay005 and FFlash like this.
Old May 25, 2020, 11:41 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
The same gates are used in the afternoon wave. The café is roped off and you sort of struggle where to sit. The area is patrolled by security and a dog (not sure why the dog ..)
Old May 26, 2020, 2:29 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by remymartin
The same gates are used in the afternoon wave. The café is roped off and you sort of struggle where to sit. The area is patrolled by security and a dog (not sure why the dog ..)
I hear they want to train covid sniffing dogs now (in the US I think)? Maybe in Finland also?
Old May 26, 2020, 2:54 am

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
If a K9 can smell a virus, then I can probably sniff around for uranium or something. About as far fetched.
Old May 26, 2020, 3:20 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
To be fair, OP said "train" the dogs, not that the dogs would actually learn it
Old May 26, 2020, 3:28 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by ffay005
I wonder what AY's rebooking policy will be this summer. I, for instance, have booked SZG flights for July, along with a non-refundable hotel booking. As I don't want to lose the hotel booking, I intend to travel.
Did you contact the hotel already and asked about your possibilities?
Old May 26, 2020, 4:24 am

Programs: AY Platinum Lumo, LX Senator, SK Life-time Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
If this is the new normal, air travel is no fun any more. My Lumo experience today was:
- No priority security. No big deal as there was only a handful of passengers, but despite of this, the person in front of my managed to generate a line with the endless packing and un-packing activities
- No lounge.
- No priority boarding. I got boarding group 3!
- No wifi (Embraer) nor newspaper in lieu of lacking wifi
- No drinks or food available, except bottle of water and cookie which were provided to everybody
- No recognition, not a single word of communication from the cabin crew. Not even a welcome or "there you are" when throwing the water bottles to customers.

I can understand well the other points, but not necessarily the last. Especially when there is absolutely nothing to offer for a frequent customer, it should be important to at least wish them welcome to the flight, if nothing else.

On a positive note, everything worked surprisingly well at the airports. I was flying HEL-ZRH. Documents checked both at boarding (eligibility to fly to Switzerland) and at arrival (eligibility to enter Switzerland), but everyone seemed well prepared and had the additional documentation with them. Even as a lowly Boarding Group 3 passenger the waiting time was not unbearable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.