Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Experiences of AY flights during COVID-19

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Experiences of AY flights during COVID-19

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2021, 6:33 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum
I did a small Human experiment and tried to compare the train and the plane. Took the flight to KUO and back by train - a very heavy trip! The difference in travel time was 2h 30 min vs 5h 15 min so. 2h 45 min.

Old Apr 5, 2021, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by mpkz
The longer you keep your mask off (or wear a mask with holes), the higher the probability of you releasing the virus (if infected) into something other than the very controlled circulation of air around your seat. If you keep your mask off when walking around the cabin, you release the virus into situations other than the very controlled circulation of air around your seat.
...and now our own government (Sanna) is saying (again) that masks basically are just a show (and at the same time struggling to introduce mandatory mask rules)
Old Apr 5, 2021, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ffay005
This was news to me. Does this apply to every LH flight, or every LH flight that lands in Germany? I understand that, say, MAD-FRA-HEL requires a test because of the first leg, but what about FRA-HEL if you start your journey in Germany?
I got an email from the corporate programme of LH, saying that all flights to/via (!) Germany require negative test. The German gov't's revenge for their citizens' Easter holidays in Spain.
ffay005 likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 12:20 pm

Programs: Finnair Plat
I have a flight booked for next week; the first one in over a year! This must be my longest non-flying period after my military service back in the 80's.

Who can help a beginner? I have a morning flight to ZRH and I'm interested to know:

- do I get any breakfast in the airport?
- are there any lounges open? or restaurants?
- what do they serve on the plane?
- does upgrade make any sense? I'm still a Plat, and I don't need more luggage
- Does Finnair require negative test on out-/in bound flights?
- do I need an extra paid test or can I get the travel Covid certificate from the "normal" HUS Covid test?
- any other new issues to consider when travelling post-Covid?

Thanks!

The crowd should not be the reason for lacking service on this flight... The flight leaves next week and this is the situation now.
I hope Finnair will somehow survive the misery!

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Apr 6, 2021 at 1:51 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same member
Old Apr 6, 2021, 1:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold, OZ Diamond, LH Silver
Originally Posted by Talonmies
I have a flight booked for next week; the first one in over a year! This must be my longest non-flying period after my military service back in the 80's.

Who can help a beginner? I have a morning flight to ZRH and I'm interested to know:

- do I need an extra paid test or can I get the travel Covid certificate from the "normal" HUS Covid test?

Thanks!
Welcome back! Some things have changed but if one is used to wearing a mask travelling can still be somewhat enjoyable too.

- Cafe Tori at gate 26 is open for takeway. Also at least WHSmith and Alepa are open too.
- All lounges are closed.
- Economy class service is Elovena cookie + coffee, tea or water. Pre-order sandwiches also available but not possible to buy onboard. Business class is almost the same as before, no choice for hot meal though.
- Most flights have light loads so a good chance of empty seat next to you in economy too. Breakfast onboard is pretty much the only additional service as a Plat in business.
- Finnair requires negative test for all international flights
- HUS covid test is enough, you can print the certificate of negative test from www.koronatietoni.fi . Certificate from 9Lives with Kela reimbursement costs 114€ if you rather want to pay.
- No priority boarding so front of the plane boards last. And arriving in Helsinki all passengers are bussed to the terminal which means that they often use rear stairs for disembarcation. So better to sit in the last rows.

All in all empty airports and planes often makes for a smooth experience nowadays. So try to enjoy that before we go back to normal queueing and masses of people.
intuition, Talonmies and zxcv1 like this.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels

I'm happy you're flying!

Alepa is open for Makula sandwiches etc. Airside, a few cafés and kiosks are open. Only take-out is permitted, which means you cannot sit in the café area, but 50 cm outside on a Finavia bench will be just fine.
All lounges are closed.
Y, water, blueberry juice, coffee, tea, Elovena cookie. J, one-tray hot meal without choices and normal beverage service (no aperitifs, though).
You will get a hot meal and a guaranteed empty seat next to you. That's it. Worth considering if you don't have a better use for your vouchers. If the plane is more or less empty, I would not recommend it.
Switzerland requires a covid test, so AY will not let you OLCI. You will need to present the flu certificate at check-in and receive a BP with CDOK on it. Homebound, AY requires a negative test result even if Finland doesn't. Antigen (48 hours) will be fine for the return flight.
The HUS test certificate (not the SMS, you need to download the PDF!) has worked for me to Sweden, Spain and Luxembourg. I would assume the Swiss don't have any special requirements so it should be fine.
Departing, there is no priority security. This is a problem only if TK, QR or FZ are departing as these flights carry an enourmous number of very inexperienced travellers who can be extremely slow and laborious at security. Otherwise, the queues aren't very long.

Returning to Finland, there is now a compulsory flu certificate check at HEL, which cannot be avoided. It can take a lot of time. Be sure you're on the first bus and stay near the first exit door on the right hand side in the direction of travel to rush out among the first pax. Fill in the contact form on board (AY FAs will hand it out, take two so you have a spare in case they have run out on your next flight to HEL).

Thanks!
You're welcome!
zxcv1 likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 1:36 pm

Programs: AY ex-Lumo, TK Elite, BT VIP, ITA Executive
Just to add to the post above: If you buy nuts, don't go nuts while eating them onboard.
cistavoda, Steve_Hun and zxcv1 like this.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by on22cz
Have you considered the M&S Elite challenge? The last report on Status Matcher is from February, so you have pretty good chances to have it approved.
Thanks! I did this just now. Let's see how it goes. Problem is, I have always used my middle name for everything, and now I decided to enroll to M&S using my first name, to avoid any potential problems by overeager check-in agents. So the names on AY+ and M&S are different. Of course, my passport has both names, and my email address tied to the M&S account uses my middle name, so I hope they believe me... I'll report back when I hear anything.
on22cz likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2021, 12:30 am

Programs: AY LUMO
JFK pax traffic started in March so lets take a look at wild figures from March21:

The PLF was 9.9% in Asian trafficbut it was supported by the very strong cargo operations and a high cargo load factor. The PLF was 5.3% in North Atlantic traffic, 39.6% in European traffic and 58.9% in domestic traffic.
https://company.finnair.com/en/media...ews?id=3937714

Last edited by OH-LGG; Apr 7, 2021 at 12:44 am
Old Apr 7, 2021, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by ylefin
And guess what? Because of this behaviour Covid cases are on the rise in Andalucia again. New lockdowns on the way, thanks to you people.
Luckily I have to correct myself. Despite a small rise in infections there will be no new restrictions for now in Andalucia, accordning to newspaper reports. This from SUR in English: "Regional Health Minister Jesús Aguirre said that according to the experts' assessment of the current situation and "considering the slight upward trend in the infection rate, it has been decided not to modify the vast majority of the measures adopted 15 days ago."
ffay005 likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 7:33 am

Re-entry documents

Hi,
I will be travelling back to Finland in a few days (in country resident). In addition to the PCR negative test results are there any other documents I need to present at check in or upon arrival? I thought I would be getting some sort of code / form from Finentry but just got info about test / quarantine requirements upon arrival. Thanks
Old Apr 8, 2021, 8:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mister P.
Hi,
I will be travelling back to Finland in a few days (in country resident). In addition to the PCR negative test results are there any other documents I need to present at check in or upon arrival? I thought I would be getting some sort of code / form from Finentry but just got info about test / quarantine requirements upon arrival. Thanks
This "Finentry" is just a bad joke. Don't waste your time.

Depending on your choice of airline, they may or may not require a covid test to let you board. On arrival, you will either have to show your covid test or get tested.

There is also a paper form that may or may not be distributed on your flight. It's easy and quick to fill in, and if you don't have it in advance, you will receive it at HEL.

There's also passport control for all international arrivals, including Schengen.
Mister P. likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2021, 12:00 am

Programs: Finnair Plat
Thanks a lot for the all the highly accurate and detailed replies!!
With this info package, I would feel comfortable entering the airport;-)

Unfortunately I had to cancel my trip due to other issues. Maybe I'll fly in one day in the future?
Old Apr 19, 2021, 4:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, SK *G, Hertz President's Circle
A brief report on flying back from LHR to HEL in J.

No queue at the check-in desk at LHR T2. They checked the negative COVID certificate but were not interested in my UK travel declaration form (i.e. permission to leave the country). Fast track security was closed but there was only one other person in front of me, so it did not make much of a difference. An invitation was given to the Plaza Premium lounge (which seemed like the only one open in the terminal). The offerings were basic (and there was no alcohol) but it was nice to sit in a comfortable seat for a short while. The lounge was relatively busy as a number of flights leave at the same time.

Boarding was done by group number, meaning that those of us at the front of the plane boarded last (no priority boarding) as has been discussed elsewhere on the forum. The plane was an A319 so no Norra this time. On board the service was friendly and professional. I was given a special hello as a OWE. No pre-meal drinks served - both food and drinks came out of the same trolley. The meal was a salmon starter and a meatballs main - photo below. The champagne kept coming throughout the flight so everything worked well.

J meal on LHR to HEL
Old Apr 20, 2021, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Great excitement - I bought my first flight since early September! Booked a hotel! Booked a rental! Living la vida loca!

What is the general view these days - is it worth for a Plat to splash out on an upgrade (2,5 hrs Norra)? The only advantage seems to be the meal, but on a morning flight it's probably a bread roll and a yoghurt. 2x2 seating means you might as well end up with a seat mate in C as in Y, but at least I have exit seat now reserved.

PS - do they still keep up the "can't bring you bubbly from the other side of the curtain" theatre?
Teppo likes this.

Last edited by WilcoRoger; Apr 20, 2021 at 2:18 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.