Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Experiences of AY flights during COVID-19

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Experiences of AY flights during COVID-19

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2021, 10:55 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by ffay005
The lounge opened at 11 and was business as usual, with their meagre covid offerings, but at least there is a lounge.
As of today, the SK lounge (if someone ventures into the dark side) has restored service including alcoholic beverage AFAIK.
I was there yesterday, last day of the 'sodas and sandwiches' regime.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 12:26 pm

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Originally Posted by cistavoda
Well Finland (and any country) should be allowed to discriminate a litlle when it comes to their own borders and citizens...
EDIT: Residents should count though.
If they'd wanted to optimise the process, they'd have made a line for nationals and residents, with a sign advising residents to prepare one of their KELA card, Finnish driving license or Finnish domestic ID in addition to passport/national ID.

But then again, if the majority of entrants are nations and/or residents, why have a separate queue for the others? And I don't think the system is made to be convenient. While I was there, the THL staff where using pen and papers to count passengers. I didn't quite get what part of the entry process Finentry simplified.

Anyway, I strongly suspect that the reason for the current queue arrangements simply stem from the existing signage of the passport check desks, rather than any fancy legal or moral consideration.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by OH-LGG
Yesterday I lined up for passport check 1h 10min coming from Tallink ship with car.

Travelling is now like a torture. Better stay home.
Oh, that was slow. My TLL passport control (by car) took only 58 min last week.

I could pay Sanna double breakfasts if she just stopped this nonsense right now.
intuition and FFlash like this.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 1:06 pm

Programs: AY+Plat
coming from Tallink ship with car.
I am also interested on this for this summer. Did you have show PCR test certificate to board the ship ?
Old Jun 1, 2021, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by Courmisch
It was exactly like that earlier on in the crisis, and it was rightfully ended. That was blatant discrimination against non-Finnish residents, incl. EU citizens, who had to queue and wait behind difficult cases while Finns, even non-residents, could just swing by.
Sorry, but that's complete nonsense. If something is discrimination, it is the fact that Finland doesn't let Schegnen citizens into the country at all. Queueing for an hour is nothing compared to an entry ban.

Also, this is how all the countries in the world do it, be it Montenegro, the USA or Argentina. Citizens (and residents) returning home, this way. The rest, that way. This is what Sweden did, as well, and still does.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 1:56 pm

Sorry, but that's complete nonsense.
That's offensive.
If something is discrimination, it is the fact that Finland doesn't let Schegnen citizens into the country at all.
The point is that it's not OK to discriminate foreign EU residents vs national residents when it comes to returning to their country of residence. And yet, that's exactly what Finland was doing back when the border guards moved back to 2A, then to 2B area.

Now they're simply back to their normal location, implying the normal EU vs non-EU signage.

That is not to say that it is OK or not OK to discriminate the Schengen member country nationals and residents by denying them entry. We all know that Finland is in contravention of the Schengen agreement as of last November.

Also, this is how all the countries in the world do it, be it Montenegro, the USA or Argentina. Citizens (and residents) returning home, this way. The rest, that way. This is what Sweden did, as well, and still does.
The USA are not in a sui generis union with other countries, not signatories to the founding treaty of the EU. Finland is. Being treated by Finland the same way I'm treated by the USA has a very second class citizen ring to. I don't know if Sweden does it, but that's not OK if they do. At least Lithuania, Germany and France didn't do this when I visited there in the past 15 months; they just checked everybody indiscriminately. And Ireland has always had passport checks on entry, yet they don't discriminate Irish vs other EU/EEA/CH passports.
Steve_Hun likes this.

Last edited by Courmisch; Jun 1, 2021 at 2:03 pm
Old Jun 1, 2021, 2:51 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Oh, that was slow. My TLL passport control (by car) took only 58 min last week.

I could pay Sanna double breakfasts if she just stopped this nonsense right now.
I hate kitchenwork but yeah I would do Sanna all dishes as well if she ended all border stupidities!
ffay005 likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 10:32 pm

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by lento
I am also interested on this for this summer. Did you have show PCR test certificate to board the ship ?
I dont go tests. I had 5hrs shopping cruise and they are test free.

Original Long Drink 19,90€/24 pack and it really tastes better without Finnish tax.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 3:46 am

I dont go tests. I had 5hrs shopping cruise and they are test free.

Original Long Drink 19,90€/24 pack and it really tastes better without Finnish tax.
Indeed.
OH-LGG, cistavoda and manywhere like this.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 4:10 am

Programs: AY LUMO
This booze rally is something only a Finn can understand.

Or where in the rest of the world citizens take cruise for 5 hours and load a van full of light taxed spirits.
florens likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 4:15 am

This booze rally is something only a Finn can understand.

Or where in the rest of the world citizens take cruise for 5 hours and load a van full of light taxed spirits.
Sorry to disappoint you, but alcohol/duty-free travel is actually quite common.

Compare Brits taking the ferry to Calais, in particular.
manywhere and Superrman like this.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 4:54 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo

They can now enjoy their two bottles of tax free wine
TPJ, florens and Steve_Hun like this.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by FFlash
I hate kitchenwork but yeah I would do Sanna all dishes as well if she ended all border stupidities!
My eyes somehow read it like this "I hate kitchenwork but yeah I would do Sanna if she ended all border stupidities" Early stage dyslexia?
Old Jun 2, 2021, 5:45 am

Originally Posted by cistavoda

They can now enjoy their two bottles of tax free wine
Same problem on the Kapellskär-Mariehamn route: the ferry duration is similar but you can't bring a lot since it's tax-free. However, people drive from Sweden to Denmark and Germany and buy a lot, then drive back.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 7:16 am

Programs: AY+ Gold, SK EBG
Originally Posted by lento
I was in TLL with Viking Line in May. Nothing needed for entering Estonia, but returning to Finland requires negative PCR first upon boarding, and then again at port in HEL, alternatively proof of previous flu.

Sorry to disappoint you, but alcohol/duty-free travel is actually quite common.

Danskebåt from Norway also applies here.
lento likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.