Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Experiences of AY flights during COVID-19

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Experiences of AY flights during COVID-19

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2021, 2:31 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite
Originally Posted by ffay005
Oh, and the guy next to me is wearing a mask made of thick leather, with breathing holes. FAs say nothing.
This sounds incredible. So much effort to break the rules. Risk himself and everyone else. I think this is even more insane than the peanut guy.

Almost makes me hope he catches Covid, is put on a respirator and then the nurse punches the tube full of holes.
mpkz and Steve_Hun like this.
Old Apr 1, 2021, 11:51 pm

Programs: AY Platinum (OWE), SK G(*G), BW Diamond
Originally Posted by OH-LGG
No experience. All AY Plus cards are worth of nothing now domestic on board and at HEL airport. AY Plus is dead.
Not even platdesk at check-in?
Not so that I'm expecting to get anything, given situation, but just checking details. Actually without competition in near sight, one could always speculate why AY would even bother providing any status services to domestic flights. As AY-excel genious I would likely strip lounge access from domestic flights except pax connecting from LH J tix.
Old Apr 2, 2021, 1:15 am

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by srieppo
This sounds incredible. So much effort to break the rules. Risk himself and everyone else.
Funny how people are insane about masks. This mask controlling has become a new hobby for some. Especially for Finns it's a good and valuable hobby, Finns love to control others.

When whole plane taking off masks for drinks and something to eat, it's then ok. But now some pax had a mask with holes on it, then He/She is a risk and criminal.
Kelju, cistavoda, FFlash and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 2, 2021, 3:51 am

Programs: AY+Plat
What is wrong with leather mask with holes if it has proper filter inside ?
FFlash likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2021, 5:28 am

Programs: BA Gold, OZ Diamond, LH Silver
Originally Posted by Post Scriptum
Not so that I'm expecting to get anything, given situation, but just checking details. Actually without competition in near sight, one could always speculate why AY would even bother providing any status services to domestic flights. As AY-excel genious I would likely strip lounge access from domestic flights except pax connecting from LH J tix.
Priority check-in is still available. Although if you are just dropping bags the automatic bag drop machines are often even faster. Especially if the priority desk has even one person in line ahead of you.
Old Apr 2, 2021, 6:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by OH-LGG
Funny how people are insane about masks. This mask controlling has become a new hobby for some. Especially for Finns it's a good and valuable hobby, Finns love to control others.

When whole plane taking off masks for drinks and something to eat, it's then ok. But now some pax had a mask with holes on it, then He/She is a risk and criminal.
The longer you keep your mask off (or wear a mask with holes), the higher the probability of you releasing the virus (if infected) into something other than the very controlled circulation of air around your seat. If you keep your mask off when walking around the cabin, you release the virus into situations other than the very controlled circulation of air around your seat.

The goal is not to remove risk completely but to reduce it.

You complain about "mask controlling" - what about the people who refuse to wear masks, wear them under their nose or wear these masks with holes? One of the stupidest forms of protest I've ever seen. There is a global pandemic going on with millions dead (and many more had we not had to lock down) but some people are concerned about sweating on their face for a few hours.
kanamurva, zxcv1 and srieppo like this.
Old Apr 2, 2021, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
There is very much competition at HEL, namely LH, TK and QR. (Theoretically KL too, if you are willing to play by the AMS testing rules.) The biggest benefit of choosing a competitor is that you don't need a flu certificate for your homebound journey.

There are so few direct flights ex-HEL these days that for almost any destination, you need to transfer anyway. I just joined Miles&Smiles today after realising that next month, I have my third TK trip coming up (and the two previous trips I credited to SK, which often gives 0 points, what waste!).
Old Apr 2, 2021, 1:12 pm

There is very much competition at HEL, namely LH, TK and QR. (Theoretically KL too, if you are willing to play by the AMS testing rules.) The biggest benefit of choosing a competitor is that you don't need a flu certificate for your homebound journey.

There are so few direct flights ex-HEL these days that for almost any destination, you need to transfer anyway. I just joined Miles&Smiles today after realising that next month, I have my third TK trip coming up (and the two previous trips I credited to SK, which often gives 0 points, what waste!).
I agree that the competition is actually more attractive than ever, mainly because Finnair is not flying where I want to go anymore. Can't believe there are not even daily flights to cities like Paris or Zurich which are exactly the cities that Finnair has enjoyed monopoly in the last years.

I usually have to buy my flights quite last minute and often have strong preference to morning/evening flight depending on situation. On European routes that means taking LH or KL almost every time now. Luckily the Netherlands removed the antigen test requirement for transfers two weeks ago which makes for example my KL flight tomorrow much easier. Though at the same time Germany is now requiring covid test certificate on every flight so you need it even if flying back to Finland via Germany.
Old Apr 2, 2021, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by haapalainen
I agree that the competition is actually more attractive than ever, mainly because Finnair is not flying where I want to go anymore. Can't believe there are not even daily flights to cities like Paris or Zurich which are exactly the cities that Finnair has enjoyed monopoly in the last years.
Not only does AY not fly where I'm going, but I also don't benefit from choosing them. I have no status with TK, so I board with everyone else, have no lounge access, have no priority at check-in or security. With AY, I'm Plat, but still everything that I listed applies to AY as well (after standing 35 minutes at ARN check-in, with a single counter open, I claim there's no Priority check-in, either, and to top it off, AY forces everyone to go to the desk in person atm).

Here in Spain, I see that the world is opening up. Apart from masks, the city is as it should be. Crowded and noisy, with people enjoying Easter with friends and family. TUI and SK planes landing at AGP. Meanwhile in Finland...

Originally Posted by haapalainen
Though at the same time Germany is now requiring covid test certificate on every flight so you need it even if flying back to Finland via Germany.
This was news to me. Does this apply to every LH flight, or every LH flight that lands in Germany? I understand that, say, MAD-FRA-HEL requires a test because of the first leg, but what about FRA-HEL if you start your journey in Germany?
Old Apr 3, 2021, 12:03 am

Programs: AY ex-Lumo, TK Elite, BT VIP, ITA Executive
I just joined Miles&Smiles today after realising that next month, I have my third TK trip coming up (and the two previous trips I credited to SK, which often gives 0 points, what waste!).
Have you considered the M&S Elite challenge? The last report on Status Matcher is from February, so you have pretty good chances to have it approved.
ffay005 likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2021, 4:37 am

Not only does AY not fly where I'm going, but I also don't benefit from choosing them. I have no status with TK, so I board with everyone else, have no lounge access, have no priority at check-in or security. With AY, I'm Plat, but still everything that I listed applies to AY as well (after standing 35 minutes at ARN check-in, with a single counter open, I claim there's no Priority check-in, either, and to top it off, AY forces everyone to go to the desk in person atm).

Here in Spain, I see that the world is opening up. Apart from masks, the city is as it should be. Crowded and noisy, with people enjoying Easter with friends and family. TUI and SK planes landing at AGP. Meanwhile in Finland...

This was news to me. Does this apply to every LH flight, or every LH flight that lands in Germany? I understand that, say, MAD-FRA-HEL requires a test because of the first leg, but what about FRA-HEL if you start your journey in Germany?
I believe the new covid test requirement in Germany only applies to flights that land there. So technically flying FRA-HEL without negative test could still be possible although I guess the majority of passengers on those flights are anyway connecting in FRA and need the test.

On the topic of flying competition, oh how I missed direct flights or status benefits today. Bag drop line at HEL for a KL flight took 45 minutes and I had to pay 70€ for the 2nd bag. I also decided to pay 17€ per leg (=34€) for a little more legroom in the front part of the cabin. It's easy to forget how expensive flying can get without status. And 45 minutes wait in a slow moving line at 5.30 in the morning doesn't feel nice either.
ffay005 likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2021, 8:59 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE)

I thought Post Scriptum was referring to the competition (or lack thereof) in domestic traffic.
Old Apr 3, 2021, 11:59 am

Programs: AY Platinum (OWE), SK G(*G), BW Diamond
Exactly, without Norwegian, why bother providing any status benefits for domestic flights as no pax can be disloyal due to lack of options. But I doubt situation will extend indefinitely, whether some other LCC will start flying intra-Finland or LCC's/legacy carrier might consider direct flights from Europea directly to Lapland. But, right now, besides VR and car, AY faces no competition.

Isn't that what most US carrier do, all benefits apply only on international J/F tix. Not that I want this but if Asia does not open up, AY's strategy is a bust and they need to survive somehow.
Old Apr 4, 2021, 2:09 pm

And guess what? Because of this behaviour Covid cases are on the rise in Andalucia again. New lockdowns on the way, thanks to you people.
Old Apr 4, 2021, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ylefin
And guess what? Because of this behaviour Covid cases are on the rise in Andalucia again. New lockdowns on the way, thanks to you people.
LOL. Well, thank God or Allah or whomever you wish, for it'll be summer soon and Covid will sleep for a few months.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.