Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair China travel waivers??

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2020, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Has anyone got their refunds from AY yet? They canceled 2 of my tickets and confirmations were received on Feb 2 and 4. They said refund would be issued in 7 days and I still haven’t seen anything. Anyone else? TIA
Old Feb 13, 2020, 5:23 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by supersympa
I just cancelled my trip 26 feb to 1 march HEL - HKG and back

Very helpfull customer service I must say.

I did not want to rebook for a flight within the 3 months window they gave as I believe the virus will not be over by may (this is only me thinking)

I never flew Finnair Biz class so I was so much looking forward, but I am sure there will be more opportunities.
I was not aware that the waivers included HKG yet?
Old Feb 13, 2020, 5:26 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by supersympa
I just cancelled my trip

I never flew Finnair Biz class so I was so much looking forward, but I am sure there will be more opportunities.
Sorry for you. But join us on LHR runs and you will get to try! The hard product is the same, and the soft product also...or, lets say this way: on longhaul it is Basic Katotaan concept and on LHR it is Katotaan-Light.
Whats the difference then is in the eye of the beholder.
remymartin likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 5:34 am

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by kauppias
I was not aware that the waivers included HKG yet?
Our Hong Kong flights operate normally, but if you have a Finnair ticket issued before 28 January 2020 to or from Hong Kong for travel between 25 January and 29 February 2020 you can, if you so wish:
  • change your travel until 31 May 2020 or
  • cancel the booking and apply for a refund in Manage booking
kauppias likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 6:32 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat

Im still out of the window my HKG flights are in march and may
Old Feb 13, 2020, 10:57 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, BA Gold, A3 Gold
I finally received answer after 4 days from AY Messenger that indeed ""The fee will be not applied for this kind of cancellation don`t worry" after I have already cancelled and flew with Qatar via Doha. I asked TA again to contact Finnair and will see how it plays out.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 8:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I am really surprised on some of the stuff Finnair is doing.

For example flying two planes to HKG tomorrow that both seem pretty much at least half empty both ways.

The 100 / 101 rotation is zeroed out in March but not cancelled and they are not allowing any changes. Why leave this to last minute? There is almost zero change of things getting better so suddenly that the planes would fill up.

Seems like Finnair is only looking 7-10 days ahead. I would for example push back Busan service an other month at least right now, they will be flying empty planes there.

Finally information given to customers is lacking. Last update on virus situation and flights is from a week ago. I would except almost daily updates with details. Would help to reduce their customer service calls also.
esledo and Tofino87 like this.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 11:37 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black

Finnair cancels its flights to mainland China until the end of the winter season, flies to Hong Kong daily during 1.-28.3.2020

Finnair will cancel its flights to Beijing Capital Airport and to Shanghai during March 1-28, 2020 (until the end of the winter season), as the coronavirus situation has led to a temporary decline in air travel between China and Europe. Finnair will also cancel one of its double daily flights to Hong Kong between March 1 and March 28, 2020. Finnair has
Click here to see the entire release.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 1:58 am

Programs: AY+ Gold, SK EBG
Originally Posted by intuition

Finnair cancels its flights to mainland China until the end of the winter season, flies to Hong Kong daily during 1.-28.3.2020

Finnair will cancel its flights to Beijing Capital Airport and to Shanghai during March 1-28, 2020 (until the end of the winter season), as the coronavirus situation has led to a temporary decline in air travel between China and Europe. Finnair will also cancel one of its double daily flights to Hong Kong between March 1 and March 28, 2020. Finnair has
Click here to see the entire release.
The article doesn't mention which HKG flights are cancelled I am on AY099/100 in March, would be nice to know if I can delay that trip or not..
Old Feb 14, 2020, 2:13 am
R2

Quote from the press release:

As Finnair communicated in connection with its financial results on February 7, the direct financial impact of coronavirus during Q1 2020 is relatively limited, even if the mainland China cancellations continued until the end of Q1 2020.
I'm surprised they keep emphasizing this...I know it's supposedly a low season but it comes across like saying we're not making much profit at all in one of our priority markets (and one where we keep opening new routes).
Old Feb 14, 2020, 2:31 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by Superrman
The article doesn't mention which HKG flights are cancelled I am on AY099/100 in March, would be nice to know if I can delay that trip or not..
The timetable hasn't been updated, but booking engine shows AY99/100 is flying
Old Feb 14, 2020, 2:38 am

Programs: AF, BA, SK, Marriott & Hilton

Finnair cancels more flights to China over coronavirus

https://yle.fi/uutiset/osasto/news/f...virus/11208811

I personally think this will continue and it will not come back to normal before June earliest
Old Feb 14, 2020, 2:38 am
Moderator, Finnair

Originally Posted by R2
Quote from the press release:

I'm surprised they keep emphasizing this...I know it's supposedly a low season but it comes across like saying we're not making much profit at all in one of our priority markets (and one where we keep opening new routes).

That was my immediate reaction too. A company with one single strategy cancels all flight to that main market and "impact is relatively limited"?! If that is true, then the yield must be low.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 2:59 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by intuition

That was my immediate reaction too. A company with one single strategy cancels all flight to that main market and "impact is relatively limited"?! If that is true, then the yield must be low.
Impact was said to be ”relatively low for Q1..” - this could be for various reasons they can play around with internally. If this goes on I would not expect to see either ”relative” or ”low” used when they will describe the Q2 outlook if things don’t change for the better soon.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 3:22 am

Programs: AY LUMO
Maybe China closure is only positive impact

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.