Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HiFly is back!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2016, 6:54 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat 4MM, AA Life Plat, Lufthansa FT, Delta Basic
Originally Posted by intuition
I hate to break your bubble, but the official organizations for handling these complaints have in a few EU countries been known to side with the airlines.
This has certainly been the case in at least Finland and Sweden.
xtraordinary circumstances", have people been able to win in local courts, case trials paid by themselves and certainly not with the help of any consumer organization.

There is no such thing as EC261/2004 being honoured in a cinch by Finnair. Sadly.

Last edited by Cofyknsult; Nov 25, 2016 at 10:13 am
Old Nov 24, 2016, 7:02 pm

I hate to break your bubble, but the official organizations for handling these complaints have in a few EU countries been known to side with the airlines.
This has certainly been the case in at least Finland and Sweden.

Only recently, after several EU judgements pinpointing the term "extraordinary circumstances", have people been able to win in local courts, case trials paid by themselves and certainly not with the help of any consumer organization.

There is no such thing as EC261/2004 being honoured in a cinch by Finnair. Sadly.
Please do not break my bubble, it has worked so well for so long with so many airlines... Would AY be the exception ? I'd love to find out but the fact that Finland is the only country in the EU without a dedicated entity to take care of this specific problem may make you right. I'll investigate it further.

Last edited by Cofyknsult; Nov 25, 2016 at 5:43 am
Old Nov 24, 2016, 7:05 pm

This certainly is not EC261 compliance, and it is not anything you need to offer/threaten with. This is what the airline uses to offer/threaten you with.

If you beat them to it, they'll take the bait. Trust my probably 10 EC261 wins. And if you are a regular flyer, the inconvenience to take a voucher is minimal.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 11:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TP Silver
Originally Posted by Cofyknsult
Please do break my bubble, it has worked so well for so long with so many airlines... Would AY be the exception
Because of a toothless national consumer rights organization and lack of a small claims court system. In case of legal action the winning party is usually awarded costs as well, so as a somewhat monetarily restricted private person I wouldn't be suing them over here.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 4:25 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Talking

If you beat them to it, they'll take the bait. Trust my probably 10 EC261 wins. And if you are a regular flyer, the inconvenience to take a voucher is minimal.
Some airlines play ball, others dont! Finnair unfortunately is the latter type! Your experience may be gold with OTHER airlines but it doesnt help with Finnair!

TRUST the knowledge of the AY board

For instance SK pays EU261 hassle free, so did AA and ba. That doesnt mean AY will
Old Nov 25, 2016, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
@Cofyknsult

You might consider to chase this in Hungary, as BUD was your destination - then the EU cross border small claims process would come into the picture which is (should be) much faster and cheaper than the normal legal way in Finland via the court system.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 10:40 am

I'll investigate it further.
I sent last night an email in English to Tervola Kirsi (TRAFI), asking how to proceed to have EC 261/2004 enforced. After an automated reply within 5 minutes, I received a long detailed reply within 12 hours, signed by a human being, seemingly intelligent and to the point.

I have so far no reason to claim, all this started upon my question about a Hi-Fly possible cancellation or long delay, and I fly them only in January.

This being said, I just notice that the EU regulation specifies that the claim must be against the OPERATING airline. I therefore assume that, in a Hi-Fly case, one should process one's claim in Portugal where they DO pay promptly, I have already collected once from TAP in 2009.

More later if warranted.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
This being said, I just notice that the EU regulation specifies that the claim must be against the OPERATING airline. I therefore assume that, in a Hi-Fly case, one should process one's claim in Portugal where they DO pay promptly, I have already collected once from TAP in 2009.
I don't think so. IANAL but in Europe a consumer doesn't have to sue a company in its registered country, but can sue it in his homecountry - but of course nothing stops you from chasing hifly inPT
Old Nov 25, 2016, 1:25 pm

Programs: UA
I sent last night an email in English to Tervola Kirsi (TRAFI), asking how to proceed to have EC 261/2004 enforced. After an automated reply within 5 minutes, I received a long detailed reply within 12 hours, signed by a human being, seemingly intelligent and to the point.

I have so far no reason to claim, all this started upon my question about a Hi-Fly possible cancellation or long delay, and I fly them only in January.

More later if warranted.
@Cofyknsult, would you share the contact info for TRAFI, and may be the email? PM is fine. I will back home next week. If I don't hear anything, I will start pushing. I do travel regularly, but I don't think that it will be on AY.

I actually went out my way to book flights for January 2017, but AY canceled them already. So far, 3 out of 3 had issues with AY..
Old Nov 25, 2016, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by mike_L
@Cofyknsult, would you share the contact info for TRAFI, and may be the email? PM is fine. I will back home next week. If I don't hear anything, I will start pushing. I do travel regularly, but I don't think that it will be on AY.

I actually went out my way to book flights for January 2017, but AY canceled them already. So far, 3 out of 3 had issues with AY..
Done by PM. I hope it helps.
P
Old Nov 26, 2016, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA
Done by PM. I hope it helps.
P
Thanks. Much appreciated.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 1:37 am

Programs: AY LUMO
AY5/6 cancelled yesterday and today.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 3:08 am
Accor 10+ BadgeFairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor ALL Platinum
And tomorrow, too (scheduled maintenance). The bird was in need of maintenance earlier than expected, I guess.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 6:23 am

Programs: AY LUMO
Scheduled maintenance was on 29NOV.

These 3 cancellations are due to unscheduled techs.

So it means 4 days without flights between HEL and JFK.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 9:35 am

Programs: UA Gold, BONVOY TIT
Originally Posted by OH-LGG
Scheduled maintenance was on 29NOV.

These 3 cancellations are due to unscheduled techs.

So it means 4 days without flights between HEL and JFK.
I was scheduled to fly tomorrow. They rerouted me via LHR in BA/DL (eurobusiness and DLone). Disappointed because I was looking forward to walking around in the morning on my layover but the new flight leaves at 740 am. At least I should be able to double dip on miles by requesting ORC. These hifly aircraft must be junk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.