Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HiFly is back!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2016, 11:12 am

Programs: AY Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, GC Jade
Anybody managed to reroute with AA? I'm ticketed for HEL-JFK-LAS in early Jan, and would gladly take e.g. HEL-MIA-LAS on an aircraft with economy comfort seats.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 12:08 pm

Programs: AY Gold
It looks AY uses leased metal exceptionally often, comparing to the similar airlines or am I completely wrong?
Old Nov 5, 2016, 4:42 pm

Programs: AA-EXP
Originally Posted by _ra_
Anybody managed to reroute with AA? I'm ticketed for HEL-JFK-LAS in early Jan, and would gladly take e.g. HEL-MIA-LAS on an aircraft with economy comfort seats.
I just tried to reroute a DCA-JFK-HEL-ARN flight to IAD-LHR-ARN. The agent gave me the option or to do the reroute for a difference in fare and a $300 change fee.

I don't see why I should pay when they never disclosed the equipment and airline change.

Will likely cancel entirely, unless more folks are successful at changing without paying the fees.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 5:39 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by Andaman
It looks AY uses leased metal exceptionally often, comparing to the similar airlines or am I completely wrong?
I don't think you are wrong. AY is a small airline that uses their planes very effectively and wants to grow rapidly, sometimes faster than they can manage to. Lately, they've been both short of planes (esp. widebodies) and short of pilots (esp. Norra).
Old Nov 6, 2016, 4:08 am

Programs: BA GfL
Originally Posted by foxtrotlima1
The agent gave me the option or to do the reroute for a difference in fare and a $300 change fee.
I got the same answer when I called Travelocity the first time and hanged up. I called again and spoke to a supervisor who gave me the same answer you got and I hanged up again. On my third try, I called the US toll-free number of Finnair and got the change with no problem. Welcome to FT.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 4:33 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Wait, you got Finnair to reissue an AA ticket? How is that even possible?
Old Nov 7, 2016, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by planet_erg
I was just about to confirm my JFK - HEL - PRG trip when I noticed that I am no longer flying on an A350 but now a A340. After a closer look it now says the flight is operated by Hi Fly. I read up on this and I am very worried about the service I am getting. I am booked in C and was looking forward to a comfortable flat-bed seat, a decent entertainment system, good food and wifi on the plane.

From what I read, I will get a mediocre seat, a terrible entertainment system, poor food and no internet on the Hi Fly tin.

Has anyone flown the route recently? What is the deal?
I flew the JFK-HEL route operated by HiFly on November 4th. I have to say that the business class of 9H-SUN was mediocre at best.

The seat was a flat-bed, but there were really only two options - upright and fully flat. You couldn't adjust the seat back and leg rests separately. When changing the seat from an upright position to laying down the seat first rises causing you to be higher than other passengers, after which the leg rest rises only after which the seat back starts lowering. Due to this you can't really find a position between the upright and laying down options.

Overall the service was not very good and well below Finnair standards - fussy HiFly stewards who managed to spill wine and food several times during flight. The food was was Finnair's, so no difference there.

Unfortunately I didn't test the entertainment system at all, so not able to comment on that.
Old Nov 9, 2016, 9:19 am

Programs: UA
Short connection time at HEL

Since Hi-Fly flies the route JFK-HEL on Nov 3, the arrive time appears consistently delayed by around 1 hour. I only have 40 minutes connection time for another AY flight within EU. AY does have another flight 8 hours later to the same destination. If I miss the morning flight due to late arrive at HEL, will I be eligible for the EU261 compensation?
Old Nov 9, 2016, 9:37 am

Programs: AY+ Gold (OWS)
If you are late by over 3 hours, yes. But don't expect Finnair to pay without a fight.
Old Nov 9, 2016, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by mike_L
If I miss the morning flight due to late arrive at HEL, will I be eligible for the EU261 compensation?
It depends on the cause of the delay, but in principles, yes. I am not sure if you have to claim it from Finnair or Hi-Fly, but they are both European carriers anyway.
Old Nov 10, 2016, 11:16 am

Programs: AY Gold (OWS), Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Hilton Gold
Thumbs down

Tomorrow's AY005 HEL-JFK will be cancelled,
is this a HiFly related problem or what's the case?
Old Nov 10, 2016, 1:12 pm

So tried my chance with AA

On the first attempt, the agent agreed to rebook, but only "within 24h" of original dates. I asked to move everything one day, in hope of getting direct HEL-MIA. But he offered morning LHR transit instead, then Saunalahti decided that just was not going to happen and disconnected me The guy still booked me onto HEL-LHR-MIA afterwards and left the return intact.

On the second attempt, I tried to undo the date change and reroute the return leg. But suddenly date changes were somehow no longer permitted. And the earliest possible arrival HEL is via JFK, so I am stuck with the HiFly red-eye (in all due fairness, MIA-HEL was offered, but on the same day).
Old Nov 11, 2016, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by Karjaluokka
Tomorrow's AY005 HEL-JFK will be cancelled,
is this a HiFly related problem or what's the case?
9H-SUN flew back to HEL on Nov 10, but the JFK-HEL is still on schedule on Nov 11, what aircraft that AY will be using?
Old Nov 11, 2016, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AY+ Plat (OWE)
Originally Posted by mike_L
9H-SUN flew back to HEL on Nov 10, but the JFK-HEL is still on schedule on Nov 11, what aircraft that AY will be using?
Cancelled.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 8:01 pm

I'll be on the JFK-HEL 11/13, any hope to have a compensation from finnair that is not a rebook? This is the only direct flight there is to HEL, so I can't afford a rebook and arrive later.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.