Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HiFly is back!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2016, 4:30 am

Programs: TG*G, SQ, QF
In the lounge waiting for todays AY5 and delay just announced.

"await further updates at 2pm..."... Grrr
Old Dec 17, 2016, 2:35 pm

So some brief thoughts after my flight yesterday.

1) The service isnt great and the crew dont seem used to offering a mainline level of service. For instance being offered a welcome drink on boarding seemed to be potluck. People had them but eventually I had to ask. Food took ages and crew were brusque rather than friendly (reminded me of a bad day on TK... )

2) The headphones sitting in your seat pocket do not have plugs that fit the aircraft. After searching in vain for the correct socket i asked and onlythen was given an adapter. The headphones are plasticky and uncomfortable and seem to have negligible noise cancelling ability, desptie having a big clunky battery box in the cable. Use your own headphones if you have them, aircraft is a standad 3.5mm single jack plug.

3) Seat 3A (on #SUN currently being used) has a broken headphone / USB panel. On request you will be given an IPAD mini to be used instead...

4) The AVOD choices are extremely limited. Basically just a list of 15 films + some radio channels. The current selection

1. 500 days of summer
2. Batman Begins
3. Captain Fantastic
4. The dark night rises
5. The dark knight
6. Finding Dory
7. Ghostbusters
8. Ice Age collision course
9. Independence Day: Resurgence
10. The Legend of Tarzan
11. The lego movie
12. Mike and Dave need wedding dates
13. The secret life of Pets
14. Somethings gotta give
15. Star trek beyond

Really the only good part of the experience was that even with 100% load this is a large cabin for only 24 seats and with a spacious low density layout it was quite comfortable. Just make sure to take your own entertainment if none of the above appeal...
Old Dec 17, 2016, 9:23 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat 4MM, AA Life Plat, Lufthansa FT, Delta Basic
Hi-Fly Business not the WORST solution in the days ahead ?

Hello all,

Like a lot of posters here, I am stuck with a coming Hi-Fly flight HEL-JFK in 2 weeks or so, and not looking forward to it. My options are limited as this is the return part of a MilesAAver American Airlines Award Business Class JFK-Europe ticket and as early as May the only routing was CDG-HEL-JFK. I do not mind these itineraries when they generate Elite Qualifying mileage, but on a free ticket I am not a fan.

Since that sorry replacement of AY which has broken seats, screens, headsets, dismal punctuality, bad service in Business Class and "Old-Aeroflot style" crew members was announced, I have been trying very hard (and I posted earlier) on finding a replacement routing, but with no luck in spite of my OW Emerald Status. The Non-Revenue ticket situation does not help. So I had resigned myself to Hi-Fly, counting on the likely delays / cancellations to claim the full EC 261/2004 compensation, initiating it BOTH in Finland and in Portugal (Hi-Fly's base), having done my homework and holding enough Portuguese and Finnish official claim forms for all passengers planning to claim. What these airlines with a "bad" Compensation attitude invariably forget are the stiff fines on top of the compensation when it is imposed by the countries' overseeing autorities instead of being willingly paid by the airlines.

I still hope for a last minute re-routing, as who has an interest to wake up in Paris at 4 AM to go to Helsinki with nothing to do but catch a miserably painful connection?

However, with the BA flight crews strike announced and very possible over the New Year, there are good chances that capacity from/via LHR on OW will be seriously reduced. As CDG/NY and MAD/NY do not seem to open, I am therefore not as unhappy as before to rely on the HEL routing. After all, I have flown Cameroon Airlines, Aerolineas, Egyptair and the "old" Turkish and Aeroflot, how much worse can it be ?

Will post in due time, both on the experience and EC261 if it eventually applies.

Last edited by Cofyknsult; Dec 17, 2016 at 9:37 pm
Old Dec 18, 2016, 1:48 pm

Cofyknsult, If you have problems with Finnair just PM me and I will advice you the best ways to get whats yours if you decide to start the process in Finland.

Just have to say that I feel a bit sad how Finnair is dealing with matters at the moment. They use to have an efficient customer service with some great people working there.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 2:18 pm

Does anyone have info on the AY5/6 Flight delays in the past couple days ? Jan 3 AY5 was 4Hrs late and Jan 4th & 5th 2-3 hours late??
Old Jan 5, 2017, 2:42 pm

Programs: AY Platinum Lumo (LTG) OW Emerald, SPG Platinum (LTG), UA Silver
Jan03 ay5 delay scheduled maintenance
jan03 ay6 delay aircraft rotation, restrictions at airport of departure
jan04 ay5 delay aircraft rotation, delay fueling/defueling
jan04 ay6 delay aircraft rotation
jan05 ay5 delay load connection, de-icing of aircraft
jan05 ay6 delay aircraft rotation
Old Jan 5, 2017, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by Aviating
Jan03 ay5 delay scheduled maintenance
jan03 ay6 delay aircraft rotation, restrictions at airport of departure
jan04 ay5 delay aircraft rotation, delay fueling/defueling
jan04 ay6 delay aircraft rotation
jan05 ay5 delay load connection, de-icing of aircraft
jan05 ay6 delay aircraft rotation
We were at JFK on the 4th and saw the 3+ hour delay. Very glad we switched to QR that day!
Old Jan 8, 2017, 3:19 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Will Hifly continue past 1/8 now? I am flying HKG-HEL-JFK 1/10 and plan to call and ask for a reroute if so. Thanks.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 4:01 am

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Will Hifly continue past 1/8 now? I am flying HKG-HEL-JFK 1/10 and plan to call and ask for a reroute if so. Thanks.
Today is 5K's last day. Tomorrow 09JAN AY5/6 it is Finnair and A333.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 8:19 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
I can see also my next JFK is A333 but holding my breath it changes into something else...
Old Jan 8, 2017, 8:40 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by FFlash
I can see also my next JFK is A333 but holding my breath it changes into something else...
Or gets cancelled due to exceptional circumstances (ie pilot shortage). I think AY has damaged their reputation tremendously over this holiday season.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 8:44 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by ffay005
Or gets cancelled due to exceptional circumstances (ie pilot shortage). I think AY has damaged their reputation tremendously over this holiday season.
Actually I don't care if something bad happens, I am once again so fed up with them. Why do I fly them, oh why?
Old Jan 8, 2017, 8:51 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by FFlash
Why do I fly them, oh why?
Because when things don't go wrong, they're the only alternative if you value simplicity and want to make flying easy. Right?

When I think about changing planes and terminals in London, Paris, New York – spending countless extra hours standing in queues and on transfer buses, sitting in lounges and what not, then AY becomes a whole lot more enticing. But if their "exceptional circumstances" continue, then I really don't know. Pay a premium for nonstop, get – nonstop three days later or two unwanted extra stops via Moscow. I don't know.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 9:38 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by ffay005
Because when things don't go wrong, they're the only alternative if you value simplicity and want to make flying easy. Right?

When I think about changing planes and terminals in London, Paris, New York – spending countless extra hours standing in queues and on transfer buses, sitting in lounges and what not, then AY becomes a whole lot more enticing. But if their "exceptional circumstances" continue, then I really don't know. Pay a premium for nonstop, get – nonstop three days later or two unwanted extra stops via Moscow. I don't know.
This.

I also think that since most people here fly predominantly AY, whatever happens, we take notice. Reading SK forum, I see lots of similar complaints... During past 18 months I have had four flights cancelled because of strikes, all LH. (Lufthansa, not long-haul )
Old Jan 8, 2017, 6:46 pm

So... I vaguely remember reading a notification about 100 Euro compensation when i did online check in for my pre christmas flights to JFK, but since then have received nothing.

Has anyone actually received this compensation and if so what form does it take and what can it be used for.?

My wife is planning a trip SIN-HAM in July and at the moment AY are not at all fare competitive but if we could apply 3 x 100 Euro to her ticket it might suddenly be worthwhile :-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.