Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2018, 1:31 am

Programs: AY+ Plat
Originally Posted by EuroFlash
How much hassle will I have checking in a 30kg suitcase as a Finnair gold...

i know 23kg is the limit but does my status help me out here in any way?
Interesting question. I had once close to 25 kg, no problem.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 2:23 am

Programs: BA gold, OWE
How much hassle will I have checking in a 30kg suitcase as a Finnair gold...

i know 23kg is the limit but does my status help me out here in any way?
Here:

A heavy bag charge applies to baggage with the maximum weight of 32 kg (70 lb) and/or maximum dimensions of 190 cm x 75 cm x 65 cm (75 in x 29.5 in x 25.5 in). The heavy bag charge is not collected from Business Class passengers or Finnair Plus Platinum Lumo, Finnair Plus Platinum or oneworld Emerald members.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 2:27 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
deleted

Last edited by intuition; Dec 20, 2018 at 2:27 am Reason: already answered
Old Dec 20, 2018, 12:07 pm

Programs: AY+ Platinum / FlyingBlue Gold
''The flight AY1306 Amsterdam - Helsinki 20.12.2018 will depart delayed.
The new estimated departure time is at 22.20. A refreshment voucher has been loaded on your boarding pass.
We apologize for the delay and inconvenience. Regards, Finnair Customer Care"

Well, nothing to be found on my boarding pass.... wonder what this is.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 9:49 pm

Programs: LH SEN
Well, nothing to be found on my boarding pass.... wonder what this is.
It is probably dis: iCoupon
Old Dec 21, 2018, 2:42 am

Programs: AY+, HH Gold
Originally Posted by SuloL
But coming to the wintery Finland provides its own challenge, i.e. have to bring clothing items that I would not otherwise need on the business part of the trip in Asia.
Vacuum bags are your friends with bulky clothes as long as you don't have a problem with the weight. The only issue could be getting access to a vacuum cleaner, which should make an interesting conversation with hotel cleaners 👍
Old Dec 21, 2018, 2:44 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
I initially thought it's just bad wording and what they want to tell you is that with your BP, you can pick up a voucher at the gate. But this iCoupon suggests otherwise. However, I received a traditional paper voucher on Wednesday, so it's not consistent.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 2:48 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum / FlyingBlue Gold
Originally Posted by ffay005
I initially thought it's just bad wording and what they want to tell you is that with your BP, you can pick up a voucher at the gate. But this iCoupon suggests otherwise. However, I received a traditional paper voucher on Wednesday, so it's not consistent.
I called the gold line after receiving that SMS yesterday and after consulting with some other departments I was told it was new and they had no clue themselves either how it works. Anyways, they said I could pick up a €5 (lol) paper voucher at the transfer desk (which there isn’t for Finnair in AMS).
Old Dec 21, 2018, 4:32 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo, LX SEN, Marriott Titanium
Here's a newbie question I thought of when my flight today is fully sold out. There is this perk which apparently guarantees you a seat if booked at least 48 hours in advance. Does this mean that if a plane is fully booked with no tickets for sale in any class, I can call CS up to 48 hours before the flight and I will be given a seat on the flight, and they will kick someone else out?
Old Dec 21, 2018, 5:12 am

Originally Posted by BlueNordicSky
I can call CS up to 48 hours before the flight and I will be given a seat on the flight, and they will kick someone else out?
Yes if it comes that far, someone will be IDB'ed, but please note, your ticket will be Y or J bucket and price will be something ridiculous.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 5:22 am

Originally Posted by temppa
Yes if it comes that far, someone will be IDB'ed, but please note, your ticket will be Y or J bucket and price will be something ridiculous.
Thanks, that's what I figured. So not something to do for fun, but only when truly needed. It's not an option on long haul business class, I'm assuming because they don't want to kick out any business class passengers. And for short haul, I'm also assuming they don't want to kick off anyone from business, so assuming a A320 series, a ticket in J would kick out 3 people (6 off the entire row which just changed from economy to business, and 3 unused seats in the now business row that some people will get op-up'd to). If I'm thinking this correctly. I wonder how much that would cost, since your ticket would have to cover not one but 3 people being IDB'ed.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 6:13 am

Programs: LH SEN
I wonder how much that would cost, since your ticket would have to cover not one but 3 people being IDB'ed.
Someone can be just downgraded instead of IDB.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 6:14 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), TK Elite (*G), BT VIP, HH D, BW DS
Thanks, that's what I figured. So not something to do for fun, but only when truly needed. It's not an option on long haul business class, I'm assuming because they don't want to kick out any business class passengers. And for short haul, I'm also assuming they don't want to kick off anyone from business, so assuming a A320 series, a ticket in J would kick out 3 people (6 off the entire row which just changed from economy to business, and 3 unused seats in the now business row that some people will get op-up'd to). If I'm thinking this correctly. I wonder how much that would cost, since your ticket would have to cover not one but 3 people being IDB'ed.
I'm sure any SH upgraders (vouchers, points) would be the first to be downgraded back to Y to accommodate.

Also, I'd be interested whether AY can force you to book a J fare (instead of C/D which are also "guaranteed"). Naturally, if they can force you to take J instead of cheaper sub-classes, they're going to have a lot more leeway. Doing some maths with a random route and random dates:

HEL-AMS D return: 1109€
HEL-AMS C return: 1349€
HEL-AMS J return: 1769€

Now, these prices, especially in J, should leave them with some leeway to ask for 3 volunteers to take the next flight. Idk how much IDB compensation would be for 3 people on a short flight like this one in case no one takes it though.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 6:35 am

You're right, I forgot about downgrades. In the case of a downgrade, they would only need to compensate for the downgrade (or no compensation at all if it was an upgrade), and one IDB (because assuming economy is also full, they will need to kick off someone to make room for the downgraded pax).

Which reminds me, even regular downgrades can happen, one time on a LH C ticket, the latter of my two legs flight was downgraded at checkin. I didn't get to experience what kind of compensation I would receive because I was booked back in business at layover.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by SuloL
Naturally, if they can force you to take J instead of cheaper sub-classes, they're going to have a lot more leeway.
I remember testing this once on my employers dime, and flight was IC/DC/CC/J0. This is how they let you know if they want you on flight Never took the flight, change of plans...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.