FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Finnair newbie questions thread (flame-free)
Old Dec 21, 2018, 6:14 am
SuloL

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), TK Elite (*G), BT VIP, HH D, BW DS
Originally Posted by BlueNordicSky
Thanks, that's what I figured. So not something to do for fun, but only when truly needed. It's not an option on long haul business class, I'm assuming because they don't want to kick out any business class passengers. And for short haul, I'm also assuming they don't want to kick off anyone from business, so assuming a A320 series, a ticket in J would kick out 3 people (6 off the entire row which just changed from economy to business, and 3 unused seats in the now business row that some people will get op-up'd to). If I'm thinking this correctly. I wonder how much that would cost, since your ticket would have to cover not one but 3 people being IDB'ed.
I'm sure any SH upgraders (vouchers, points) would be the first to be downgraded back to Y to accommodate.

Also, I'd be interested whether AY can force you to book a J fare (instead of C/D which are also "guaranteed"). Naturally, if they can force you to take J instead of cheaper sub-classes, they're going to have a lot more leeway. Doing some maths with a random route and random dates:

HEL-AMS D return: 1109€
HEL-AMS C return: 1349€
HEL-AMS J return: 1769€

Now, these prices, especially in J, should leave them with some leeway to ask for 3 volunteers to take the next flight. Idk how much IDB compensation would be for 3 people on a short flight like this one in case no one takes it though.