Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Free drinks for AY Plats [and other experience reports of Plat recognition]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Free drinks for AY Plats [and other experience reports of Plat recognition]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2020, 9:01 am

Programs: AY+ Gold, SK EBG
Originally Posted by intuition
If you don't have a obvious Finniah name, then just great her in english (hello') and the talk will be very short. They are usually pretty good at detecting language preference early on and most staf are not on a conversational level except in Finnish.
A bit OT, but guess it would be best to ask you out of anybody on this forum: Do you ever get AY cabin crew who are conversational/good in Swedish? I've personally always stuck to English instead of attempting some weird Skavlan Swedish-Norwegian mix and risking potential awkwardness.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 9:24 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
rarely these days .
No skavlan dialekt though, they speak strictly Högsvenska
Old Jan 12, 2020, 9:41 am

All Finns have to learn Swedish in school, high school and universities, so we must all be able to carry a coversation in Swedish, right? Because otherwise it would just be a massive waste of resources...
Old Jan 12, 2020, 9:43 am

Programs: AY+
Originally Posted by NoiseFilter
All Finns have to learn Swedish in school, high school and universities, so we must all be able to carry a coversation in Swedish, right? Because otherwise it would just be a massive waste of resources...
Right...
ffay005, intuition, temppa and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 9:45 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
And of course YMMV.
I' ve had everything from pursers saying "oh you should always tell us you like to speak swedish" and are happily conversing, to crew members who are Finnish monolingual, ie do no speak english either.
I've also encountered Finnish customers with swedish as mothertounge switch to Finnish when adressing crew.

I usually do not bother with trying swedish anymore.
Superrman likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 9:58 am
Moderator, Finnair

Originally Posted by NoiseFilter
Not even officials required to speak swedish does it. Eg security officers at HEL adresses me in finnish "have you emptied your pockets" and if I reply "in swedish please" they switch to english.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 10:03 am

Programs: AY Platinum (OWE), SK G(*G), BW Diamond
Not even officials required to speak swedish does it. Eg security officers at HEL adresses me in finnish "have you emptied your pockets" and if I reply "in swedish please" they switch to english.
Isn't the security guards just normal outsourced staff from securitas etc. Requirement on swedish would not apply for them.

Only border guards are government employees and hence required to be able to handle swedish.
intuition likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 10:06 am
Moderator, Finnair

Aha I'm sure you are right.
Still, pretty fun to see their faces when someone asks to be served in swedish
Old Jan 12, 2020, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by Superrman
A bit OT, but guess it would be best to ask you out of anybody on this forum: Do you ever get AY cabin crew who are conversational/good in Swedish? I've personally always stuck to English instead of attempting some weird Skavlan Swedish-Norwegian mix and risking potential awkwardness.
rarely these days .
No skavlan dialekt though, they speak strictly Högsvenska
Hey, whats wrong there? I reckon you should enjoy it
I at least enjoy the different dialects in Sweden when travelling in different parts there.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 12:00 pm

I usually do not bother with trying swedish anymore.
Given how you describe it, I can see why this becomes the easy way out. No svorsk onboard AY for me then!

Originally Posted by FFlash
I at least enjoy the different dialects in Sweden when travelling in different parts there.
I enjoy dialects, in fact I speak with quite a strong one in Norwegian, but "ei kiitos" is not any Swedish dialect
Old Jan 12, 2020, 1:32 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Dialects are 'kiva'!

And i think Superman could well try his svorsk onboard!
Superrman likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 1:54 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Originally Posted by FFlash
I'm just waiting to be served in Närpes-dialect as a revenge for me nagging about swedish. Not sure I will understand, despite it is considered the original swedish spoken on borh sides of the eastsea
vulle likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 2:33 pm

Programs: AY Platinum Lumo, LX Senator, SK Life-time Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I communicate with the cabin personnel in Swedish every now and then. Latest example is from yesterday. When the purser made the announcements (in Finnish), I recognized a Finnish-Swedish accent and decided that I feel like speaking Swedish today. I got really great service and several Lumo talks in Swedish. Sometimes they also switch to Swedish automatically if I keep my Swedish passport visible. A simple rule of thumb for me is that with the more senior personnel I can speak Swedish, with younger personnel Finnish and with the non-Finnish personnel only rally-English.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 2:43 pm

Will try my svorsk after all since we ended up with this intense discussion, but my next few AY flights are all with either Norwegian-based, DEL-based or HKG-based crew so it won't be anytime soon
Old Jan 12, 2020, 2:50 pm

Look at the flags on the name tag. Unfortunately, most younger members of the cabin crew don’t carry the Swedish flag unless they have Swedish as their mother tongue (there are a few of them). Now they have a bunch of cabin crew on European flights not bring able to speaking Finnish either (and I am not referring to the outsourced Spanish or Norwegian flights)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.