Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Free drinks for AY Plats [and other experience reports of Plat recognition]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Free drinks for AY Plats [and other experience reports of Plat recognition]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2020, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by mhle
A simple rule of thumb for me is that with the more senior personnel I can speak Swedish, with younger personnel Finnish and with the non-Finnish personnel only rally-English.
That seems to be very true. I have observed the same thing, the senior attendants usually speaks swedish(and other languages). There seems to be quite a lot of senior personnel that have swedish as mothertongue.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 11:36 pm

Programs: Drawer of Cards
Maybe Swedish was listed as a plus on the job description back then.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 12:06 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
I believe language skills was a big part of receuitment back then. I once met a fin-national who majored in Japanese and had no intention of being a FA but ended up with a 20year+ ride with AY.

Times have changed, cheap is king.
Superrman likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 4:40 am

Cheap is the king. But also more and more passengers speaks or at least understands more english than before, so why bother?
Old Jan 13, 2020, 5:00 am
R2

Originally Posted by Clydez
But also more and more passengers speaks or at least understands more english than before, so why bother?
I'm not sure this holds true for AY. Think of the increase of Chinese pax in the past 15 years; most of them don't speak nor understand almost any English.
intuition likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 5:28 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by Clydez
Cheap is the king. But also more and more passengers speaks or at least understands more english than before, so why bother?
Business 101.
If you only do what everyone else does or can do, then your only way to compete is on price.
on22cz likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 5:35 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Language requirements for AY CC used to be Finnish, Swedish, English and one other language.

Today it’s English. Anything above that may be considered an asset.
intuition likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 5:48 am

Originally Posted by R2
I'm not sure this holds true for AY. Think of the increase of Chinese pax in the past 15 years; most of them don't speak nor understand almost any English.
True, but then again Swedish speaking wouldn't help anyway. On CN route there is always few Chinese speaking crews though.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 5:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Trying to get back on topic, this free Ay drink bennie has generated some new loyalty towards AY. My friends (non-frequenters) are now requesting that we always fly AY, since ”Fflash owns the service cart”

win-win, do you listen, AY?
Old Jan 15, 2020, 8:29 am

Programs: BA Gold, OZ Diamond, LH Silver
I got a OWE welcome with an awkward hand shake from the purser today. Somehow in my opinion the Finnish language doesn't work well in these welcomes as it feels super artificial when purser introduces herself and tells you their full name, flight time and to let them know if you need anything during the flight in a very rehearsed way. Some pursers do it more informally which I like more.

By the way, why do they always need to tell the flight time in these Plat chats? Probably it's included in the training but feels unnecessary as captain always announces the flight time on the ground too.
FFlash likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 8:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by haapalainen
I got a OWE welcome with an awkward hand shake from the purser today. Somehow in my opinion the Finnish language doesn't work well in these welcomes as it feels super artificial when purser introduces herself and tells you their full name, flight time and to let them know if you need anything during the flight in a very rehearsed way. Some pursers do it more informally which I like more.

By the way, why do they always need to tell the flight time in these Plat chats? Probably it's included in the training but feels unnecessary as captain always announces the flight time on the ground too.
110% my experience and opinion too
Old Jan 15, 2020, 8:41 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by haapalainen

Probably that they have an additional thing to say to make the welcome less awkward.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 8:44 am

Programs: AY Platinum,Marriott Gold,HH Diamond,Sixt Platinum,Hertz PC,AMEX Platinum
It probably is varying a lot between the people but I tend to feel the greeting chat very friendly and natural especially with the female pursers while the male pursers seem to be a bit more scripted. In general, female pursers always makes me feel like arriving home and very welcome - not awkward at all.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 11:51 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by miikka
It probably is varying a lot between the people but I tend to feel the greeting chat very friendly and natural especially with the female pursers while the male pursers seem to be a bit more scripted. In general, female pursers always makes me feel like arriving home and very welcome - not awkward at all.
I have had the opposite experience. As a Gold I am not entitled to the chat but I've occasionally gotten it on both LH and SH in either cabin when I boarded early and the flight has been 70% half empty.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 1:44 pm

Programs: AY+ Lumo, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ffay005
Great OWE experience on AA domestic yesterday. I arrived at the airport 40 minutes before the departure of an earlier flight to my destination. Walked to the gate and asked to be put on the standby list, where I went straight to the top. When they issued me my BP, the GA asked if I wanted an upgrade to First. ^ Arrived at my destination almost two hours early.

Does this kind of service happen with AY? What about the checked in bags?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.