Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fairmont Chase Signature Card

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2013, 5:35 pm

Does the Amazon deal come and go? I just looked after your post. For me now it shows as $25 for 2500 points.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 9:37 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
I'm sure it is somewhere in the 600 posts in this thread, but can one use more than one of the 25$ "breakfast" certs at a breakfast, similar to the regular platinum dinning certs.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 9:54 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott Plat LT, HH Gold, IHG Plat, WoH Discvst, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nmenaker
I'm sure it is somewhere in the 600 posts in this thread, but can one use more than one of the 25$ "breakfast" certs at a breakfast, similar to the regular platinum dinning certs.
One data point: In July at the Pacific Rim in Vancouver, we used 2 "breakfast" certs at one breakfast for two people ... no problem.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by nmenaker
Yes, should be no problem. Just be aware that you´ll forfeit any residual value.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 10:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jmd001
One data point: In July at the Pacific Rim in Vancouver, we used 2 "breakfast" certs at one breakfast for two people ... no problem.
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Yes, should be no problem. Just be aware that you´ll forfeit any residual value.
At the Orchid last month, we drained 2 accounts of 4 $25 spa/dining certificates. This after I checked out.. Seperately posted onto my credit card after.

To the hotel, its currency however you cut it. I didn't want to bring the certs back to Canada where they enhance the value negatively. In the US, I get full face value.
Old Sep 14, 2013, 2:35 pm

OK, I spent well over an hour doing keyword searches on this thread, and there are still a few things I'm not sure on:

1) If you have no status with Fairmont and get the card, do you get the standard update certificate (not the Gold upgrade) with the 2 night and breakfast vouchers? If so, do they come soon after reaching the $1k, or do they come in March annually (with the other perks for high status membership?) This is unclear to me because it isn't listed as a perk in the application, but many mention this-- although it's fuzzy if most talking about this had status before the credit card to get this.

2) I take it you cannot redeem the certificates in another family member's name so they can check in if you're not present? The T&Cs were unclear b/c it sounds like you cannot period, but then talks about not trying to sell, barter, etc.

3) When you do a room upgrade with the certificate (not talking about the Gold upgrade), after you reserve a Fairmont room-- do you simply go online and it shows you what rooms you can pick from and you do it yourself?

4) Standard Chase policy is you can cancel your card within 60 days of the annual fee hitting and get a full refund. So for those of you who got the 12k anniversary night and then cancelled your card within this window, I assume your free night was not removed? This card seems so integrated with Chase compared to other hotel partners I could see it as a possibility.

Thanks
Old Sep 14, 2013, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by teammjs
OK, I spent well over an hour doing keyword searches on this thread, and there are still a few things I'm not sure on:

1) If you have no status with Fairmont and get the card, do you get the standard update certificate (not the Gold upgrade) with the 2 night and breakfast vouchers? If so, do they come soon after reaching the $1k, or do they come in March annually (with the other perks for high status membership?) This is unclear to me because it isn't listed as a perk in the application, but many mention this-- although it's fuzzy if most talking about this had status before the credit card to get this.

2) I take it you cannot redeem the certificates in another family member's name so they can check in if you're not present? The T&Cs were unclear b/c it sounds like you cannot period, but then talks about not trying to sell, barter, etc.

3) When you do a room upgrade with the certificate (not talking about the Gold upgrade), after you reserve a Fairmont room-- do you simply go online and it shows you what rooms you can pick from and you do it yourself?

4) Standard Chase policy is you can cancel your card within 60 days of the annual fee hitting and get a full refund. So for those of you who got the 12k anniversary night and then cancelled your card within this window, I assume your free night was not removed? This card seems so integrated with Chase compared to other hotel partners I could see it as a possibility.

Thanks
1) Cardholders automatically receive Premier status which comes with a 3rd night free cert, one suite upgrade cert, one room upgrade cert and two $25 F&B certs (please see Master FAQ for more details) which is in addition to the certs you receive from the CC.

2) Correct. Certs are non-transferrable. The only exception is that Platinum members can transfer certs to immediate family.

3) No, you need to call FPC or contact the hotel directly to apply any certs. Room upgrade certs get you a one-category upgrade to next room level.

4) No idea, sorry.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 8:07 pm

How long did it take to get the certs after meeting your spend?

Spoke to a rep and they said they mail them 4-6 weeks after hitting spend and it has nothing to with the credit card statement date.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by Jesperss

Spoke to a rep and they said they mail them 4-6 weeks after hitting spend and it has nothing to with the credit card statement date.
Nevermind, looks like it's spend date. Good surprise!
Old Sep 22, 2013, 8:37 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott Plat LT, HH Gold, IHG Plat, WoH Discvst, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Jesperss

Look at this post (#558).

They don't (snail) mail the certs anymore. They are now just electronic certs.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 10:55 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jmd001
Look at this post (#558).

They don't (snail) mail the certs anymore. They are now just electronic certs.
FPC has the power to post certs onto the online account immediately. I would have OP phone, establish the threshold is met and inquire gettings certs posted..
Old Sep 30, 2013, 12:59 pm

redeeming 2 certs 1 night

First, a shout-out to Jasper for all the work on the Fairmont threads. I've read a couple lately and they are thorough.

Perhaps a cautionary tale for those getting the card and thinking about using the 2 room nights for 2 rooms on same night.

I just got the certs and all the benefits posted to my account. Card gave me Premier (had no status before).

So I call main reservation and book 2 award night rooms, for same night at Lake Louise in a single phone call. No problems (agent applied the room upgrade to one and suite upgrade to the other to specific room categories). Both nights in my name (the other room will be used by parents- same last name)

Today I checked the reservations from the Fairmont website, and noticed that they only showed the Fairmont Room description and nothing indicating the upgrades.

So I call today to inquire. First reservation, agent checked and informed me it's on their notes I can't see. Then I tell agent the reservation for the other room. She immideately puts me on hold for 15 minutes.

Stupid me, I think maybe she is trying to upgrade that one (with the suite cert) to a Lakeview. Nope, she comes back and tells me that as a Premier I can't transfer a certificate, and that since I have to be in the room (and I couldn't be in two rooms at once), what I did was not allowed!

She then claims that becuase the original agent supposedly made the mistake, when I was on hold she talked to her supervisor and she was going to allow it as a one-time exception and they'd make a note of it (in case the hotel wanted to "not allow it").

I was a bit surprised and said I thought the term "transfer" was meant to imply someone else could use it to check-in without me being present, but if I was going to show up in person, I didn't see anything that specifically said I was suppose to literally stay in the room-- in which case at best the term "transfer" is ambiguous and more restrict than how other hotel chains allow their awards to be used (where I've never heard of not being allowed to use my scenario).

She said, "no" I was wrong, and I figured better to let it go than continue the arguement and risk their "helpfullness" at supposedly allowing me to use both as I intended. So, I thanked her helping me and hung up.

Now I'm still a bit concerned I'm still going to have a problem at the hotel if I get some equally pain-in-the-rump desk agent who wants to go "by the book", but I assume it's best to let sleeping dogs lie and assume she put in notes. Hopefully, this won't also create problems with the upgrades either.

Anyone else have issues with these? I read the T&Cs for both the Chase certs as well as the non-Chase free night certs Fairmont offers, and I still don't see anything that indicates I couldn't book the 2 rooms/ 1 night as long as I'm showing up and and willing to be responsible for charges on both rooms (and staying in one room anyway).

If what the 2nd agent told me is correct, why don't they simply state somewhere, "member redeeming any free certificate must stay in free room if not Platinum"?

Last edited by teammjs; Sep 30, 2013 at 1:08 pm
Old Sep 30, 2013, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Afaik the agent was correct. Certs can only be applied towards the room you´re staying in (if you have Premier status). IME the FPC agents have been applying a fairly restrictive interpretation of the T&C lately while the hotels usually are a little more flexible, so I wouldn´t worry.

I guess FPC is still trying to find a good way to deal with all the new Premier members who are redeeming their certs. I also know quite a few FPC Premier/Platinum members who are quite unhappy with the lack of distinction between CC cardholders and "regular" elites. And it doesn´t help that FPC doesn´t really offer much in terms of benefits to those staying on a regular basis (e.g. the ability to earn additional suite upgrade certs was eliminated a few years ago and the threshold free night certs after staying 40/50/etc. nights isn´t all that exciting)
Old Sep 30, 2013, 2:04 pm

Jasper, you're probably right on the confusion with us riff-raff Chase "freeloaders" infultrating the storied halls of Fairmont! And you've been very patient with us. I actually feel sorry for the agents and those of you with status, since there is definitely a learning curve with the Chase folks-- at least most will be gone within a year I guess.

The Chase card provides frankly absurdly "easy" benefits, and while I'm not going to throw a fit trying to milk every angle (since I'm just grateful for most of the benefits), I still think Fairmont is the only hotel program I've run into with vague rules on how points/certs can be used by non-elites.

I've now read the T&Cs twice, and still can't see anything that points to restricting my scenario. "Transfering a certificate" to me seems to connote 1) moving the cert to another member, and 2) not needing to be there at check-in when they use it. That seems to be the only real specificity (other than defining what a "stay" is, and saying not to sell your certs). Seems strange to me that if you're travling as a family that can't fit in a suite, you can't technically split them up and use the certs like my case.

The 1st agent seemed really experienced, and I'll bet the problem is that even if their policy (regardless of how clear it is in the T&Cs) is to restrict 2 certs/1 night by non-Platinum, maybe 90%+ of the time when the agent is redeeming free nights, it's the ones Platinums earn by actual stays. Could explain why she had no problems doing it, even though I was absolutely clear about both rooms.

To your point, sounds like those getting the card should be aware of this and maybe best to try direct with the hotel first (I'd add being upfront, noting name, and if that person has a problem, calling back a few days later and trying again!).
Old Sep 30, 2013, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Jasper, you're probably right on the confusion with us riff-raff Chase "freeloaders" infultrating the storied halls of Fairmont! And you've been very patient with us. I actually feel sorry for the agents and those of you with status, since there is definitely a learning curve with the Chase folks-- at least most will be gone within a year I guess.
I actually think Fairmont launching a credit card that not only offers two free nights, but also Premier status, was an excellent idea to increase brand awareness and expand their customer base. Unfortunately they´ve put very little effort into maintaining their current customer base and benefits have been going downhill along with properties/FPC being less generous.

Btw, I think most people will actually keep the card as the Premier benefits are definitely worth the $95 annual fee.

I've now read the T&Cs twice, and still can't see anything that points to restricting my scenario. "Transfering a certificate" to me seems to connote 1) moving the cert to another member, and 2) not needing to be there at check-in when they use it. That seems to be the only real specificity (other than defining what a "stay" is, and saying not to sell your certs). Seems strange to me that if you're travling as a family that can't fit in a suite, you can't technically split them up and use the certs like my case.
I agree the T&C aren´t 100% clear, though I think the following extract from the T&C makes it clear that any certs are intended to be used only by the member when he´s staying in the room:

Redemption of the Room Upgrade certificate (“Certificate” hereafter) by the holder of the Certificate (“Holder, hereafter”) is subject to the following terms, conditions and restrictions. The Certificate will be added to Holder’s (“Fairmont President’s Club (“FPC”) member’s (hereafter,FPC members are “Members”) online profile at Fairmont.com/fpc. No paper certificates or email certificates will be issued. Each Certificate entitles the Holder to one complimentary room upgrade, single/double occupancy,at any Fairmont hotel or resort worldwide. Holder will be upgraded from the room category purchased to the next available room category,

This is also consistent with many other loyalty programs where elite benefits often (but not always) only apply to the room you´re staying in when you book multiple rooms.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.