Search

Fairmont Chase Signature Card

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2013, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by gpapadop
Another question. Very shortly I would complete the $12k spend on two cards (mine and wife's). Anniversary date is mid to end of July. I understand that the annual fee needs to be paid then & then we receive the free night gift cert good for one year from date of issue?
ThatŽs my understanding as well.

Originally Posted by gpapadop
We both should have about 15k pts (including 3k bonus points for spending 3k on the cards in Jan-Feb in a targeted promotion). So...what do these points get us again? I understand they are only tracked by Chase and not Fairmont?
The points can redeemed for gift cards and ovation certs (which can be used at Swissotel/Fairmont/Raffles hotels). Generally speaking redeeming gift cards gets you a value of 1 cent per point, so a $150GC for 15000points. YouŽll need a minimum of 25000points to redeem for an ovation cert.

Btw, just in case you didnŽt know. The earning rates are much better when using the CC at Fairmont hotels (5 points per $) and travel (2points per $). For regular puchases a 1% return isnŽt great, but a 5% discount on stays at Fairmont hotes canŽt be bet.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 7:26 am

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
ThatŽs my understanding as well.

The points can redeemed for gift cards and ovation certs (which can be used at Swissotel/Fairmont/Raffles hotels). Generally speaking redeeming gift cards gets you a value of 1 cent per point, so a $150GC for 15000points. YouŽll need a minimum of 25000points to redeem for an ovation cert.

Btw, just in case you didnŽt know. The earning rates are much better when using the CC at Fairmont hotels (5 points per $) and travel (2points per $). For regular puchases a 1% return isnŽt great, but a 5% discount on stays at Fairmont hotes canŽt be bet.
+1. I decided I would NOT use my points for the Fairmont GCs, continuing to pay for my rooms at Fairmonts with the CC instead, and hoard my points for Ovation certs to use for something I probably wouldn't otherwise do, like a suite at Raffles Singapore.
For those who want GCs, IIRC, the Amazon GCs are a slightly better deal than most of the other GCs.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 8:51 pm

I didn't see an answer to the question as to whether an authorized user can use the free nights certificate without the cardholder coming along.

I am curious to know the answer.
Thanks
Old Jan 31, 2013, 3:40 am

Does anyone know if I can use 2 free nights certificate at Fairmont Mara Safari Club in Kenya?
Old Jan 31, 2013, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by koolr
Does anyone know if I can use 2 free nights certificate at Fairmont Mara Safari Club in Kenya?
Afaik free night certs can be used there, however - if IŽm not mistaken - youŽd have to pay for the meals and the game drives separately which wouldnŽt make it such a great deal. As IŽm not 100% sure about the details, please double check with the property.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 8:55 am

Afaik free night certs can be used there, however - if IŽm not mistaken - youŽd have to pay for the meals and the game drives separately which wouldnŽt make it such a great deal. As IŽm not 100% sure about the details, please double check with the property.
I checked at Fairmont Masa Safari site for the rates around Christmas 2013, and the rates are over $700! So, the free night certificate might save some bucks?
Old Jan 31, 2013, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by koolr
I checked at Fairmont Masa Safari site for the rates around Christmas 2013, and the rates are over $700! So, the free night certificate might save some bucks?
The $700 rate youŽre seeing most likely includes all meals and two game drives daily (it should be in the rate details). However, some rates (e.g. when the Masai Mara is included in the monthy GRGD) only include accommodation. As free night certs generally only cover accommodation, IŽd double-check how free night certs work at that property.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:00 am

Thanks!
Old Feb 4, 2013, 3:31 pm

How long after approval did your accounts upgrade to premier (for those of you with no status)? It's been over a week for me. I'm worried I did not properly enter my FPC number. Is there any way to check whether they have been properly linked?

Edit: Premier and the dining certs just showed up, so the answer in my case is about 8 days, FWIW.

Last edited by lkar; Feb 4, 2013 at 5:42 pm
Old Feb 15, 2013, 2:32 pm

Thank you for being patient with me, I appreciate it. I did just finish reading this whole thread, 400+ posts and I did learn a ton of information, thank you everyone. For sanity check, I just want to make sure my "plan" works and that I am not missing something here.

* Currently I do not belong to this program, my wife does not belong either.
* We can both sign up for the program independently and then both apply for a credit card
* we both will receive 2 free nights, for a total of 4 nights
* we both will receive breakfast for two with each free night
* we both will receive 1 Suite Upgrade (up to 5 consecutive nights)
* every March 1st (assuming we each keep our cards) we will receive 1 additional Suite Upgrade per account.

I do not plan to spend $12,000/year on the card, so I understand that I will not receive free night every year.

I hope I got this right.

Can I redeem all 4 nights (2 from me and 2 from my wife) consecutively at the same hotel and only use 1 Suite Upgrade (mine) and reserve my wife's Suite Upgrade for a later date/stay? Or we each must use one, as it would be two separate redemptions coming from separate accounts?

We are not planning to stay at Plaza or Savoy, an I understand that I need to have base room available and a suite available to get the upgrade.

Thank you,

PedroNY
Old Feb 15, 2013, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PedroNY
Thank you for being patient with me, I appreciate it. I did just finish reading this whole thread, 400+ posts and I did learn a ton of information, thank you everyone. For sanity check, I just want to make sure my "plan" works and that I am not missing something here.

* Currently I do not belong to this program, my wife does not belong either.
* We can both sign up for the program independently and then both apply for a credit card
* we both will receive 2 free nights, for a total of 4 nights
* we both will receive breakfast for two with each free night
* we both will receive 1 Suite Upgrade (up to 5 consecutive nights)
* every March 1st (assuming we each keep our cards) we will receive 1 additional Suite Upgrade per account.

I do not plan to spend $12,000/year on the card, so I understand that I will not receive free night every year.

I hope I got this right.
Almost correct. As long as you keep the credit card youŽll have Premier status which gets you 1 suite upgrade cert, 1 room upgrade cert and 1 third night free cert each per membership year (so new certs on March 1 every year).

Can I redeem all 4 nights (2 from me and 2 from my wife) consecutively at the same hotel and only use 1 Suite Upgrade (mine) and reserve my wife's Suite Upgrade for a later date/stay? Or we each must use one, as it would be two separate redemptions coming from separate accounts?

We are not planning to stay at Plaza or Savoy, an I understand that I need to have base room available and a suite available to get the upgrade.

Thank you,

PedroNY
YouŽd have two separate reservation, and as Premier members cannot transfer certs, youŽd technically need to redeem a suite upgrade cert each.

Some hotels have a more liberal policy when it comes to such issues, so you could politely ask to have your two reservations linked and ask them to redeem your suite upgrade cert and hope for the best, but itŽs nothing you should expect.

Thank you,

PedroNY
Yes, a Fairmont room needs to be available to use a free night cert, the "designated suite upgrade category" (typically lowest or lowest two suites) needs to be available to use the suite upgrade cert; plus your dates mustnŽt be blacked out for certs (please see Master FAQ thread for details; basically each hotels has a few dates where certs canŽt be used such as NYE, Christmas, Thanksgiving etc.)
Old Feb 15, 2013, 4:44 pm

Thank you for your excellent and detailed response!
Old Feb 15, 2013, 7:13 pm

Thumbs up

YouŽd have two separate reservation, and as Premier members cannot transfer certs, youŽd technically need to redeem a suite upgrade cert each.

Some hotels have a more liberal policy when it comes to such issues, so you could politely ask to have your two reservations linked and ask them to redeem your suite upgrade cert and hope for the best, but itŽs nothing you should expect.

Regarding the above, I had no issue combining mine and my wife's two free nights into one reservation and then applying a single suite upgrade for the 4 nights at the Kea Lani. I did not know that technically this was bending the rules a little bit. Thanks for the info... ^
Old Mar 2, 2013, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by atourgates
I was a FPC member with no status, and applied for the card two weeks ago. I immediately charged $1,000 to it - and didn't expect anything so soon.

Today, I checked my FPC account, and I've been upgraded to Premier, with the following certificates showing on my account page:
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]

I am - to put it mildly - quite excited.
Just met spend for this card, statement closes in a couple of weeks, excited about getting my package too. Third night free? Did you receive a T & C with your package that explained the cancelation policy? Wondering what the rules are regarding changing dates or hotels after booking.

Originally Posted by philemer
We're at the SF Fairmont now thanks to Chase & Fairmont. We got a named Suite on the 3rd floor, main bldg. Lovely hotel & lovely suite.

I was curious about the 4 paper Breakfast certs for $25 and the 4 online e-certs of the same name so I asked the lady at the FD. She said they are the same. You don't get a total of 8. I had 'assumed' that but wanted to triple check.

BTW, the breakfast buffet is now $30 plus 15% gratuity plus 9% tax. So breakfast for 2 was a shade under $75. Most expensive breakfast I ever ate. The lady at the FD said we could 'settle up' at check out.

We'll be using the 2 $25 dining certs for dinner tonight. I'm sure the bill we be a wee bit higher than breakfast.
Huh, so after applying "free breakfast" certificates you still end up paying about $25.

Originally Posted by pickles1107
Regarding the above, I had no issue combining mine and my wife's two free nights into one reservation and then applying a single suite upgrade for the 4 nights at the Kea Lani. I did not know that technically this was bending the rules a little bit. Thanks for the info... ^
We're looking to spend our certificates at the Kea Lani too
Old Mar 2, 2013, 8:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Interesting reading through the whole thread and I'm personally glad Fairmont decided to make a splash in the US. This will build a nice loyalty foundation for the FPC program.

Question: Ovation Category C certificates, what category of suite does this book into for Fairmont Kea Lani?

I see on https://www4.aeroplan.com/mrch/trave...odCC00877.html that the reward can be redeemed for 48,500 AE miles. Imo not a very good use of miles, as its less than 1 cent per mile based ont he $380 category c sell rate. If the standard room is Fairmont Parking Lot view, then there is really no point to go through the trouble of obtaining and manually redeeming these certificates. Once you lose the certificate, then its lost. Or maybe you can redeem ovation certificates electronically? I haven't read that this is possible.

To be truthful, I've been looking into the Hyatt program more closely recently. We spent about 55 nights last year at Fairmonts, and this year we're travelling to places that don't necessarily have Fairmont. 3 weeks in Orlando, but we booked Floridays 3 bedroom condo for the 3 weeks for a monthly rate this time around. Just booked 5 weeks in the summer laying over in California for a week, heading to Hawaii for 4. 13 nights at the Hawaii Fairmonts, leaving over 50% of the Hawaii trip elsewhere. So 60 nights travel, 13 nights Fairmonts. 12 nights Fairmonts this year so far. Plat5 member here in Canada.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.