Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Frequent Traveler University (FTU) Events [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2014, 6:42 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Hyatt play status with purchase of an FTU DFW ticket.

Might be cheaper to get the chase card if what you seek is plat status though.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 9:08 am

Programs: most of them
and you get a free night to boot with the Chase card
Old Dec 16, 2014, 2:55 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; Delta Diamond; Hyatt Diamond; IHG Platinum; Emerald Exec Elite
I also attended FTUDC last weekend. This was the first FTU I have attended, so I attended regular FTU (although I would have been much better suited in FTU Advanced and already bought my ticket to FTU Advanced Dallas). I really enjoyed most of the presentations and felt that I did learn a few things. For example, I don't really use Hotwire or Priceline, so I felt that presentation was useful. Also, while I do use shopping portals, I learned a thing or two in the "Maximizing Miles via Online Portals." I even enjoyed listening to the stuff I already knew. True, there were some REALLY stupid questions asked by newbies, but that was to be expected and is certainly not the fault of the presenters or the FTU organizers.

As BXIAN said, there were some good and bad points. I totally agree that the registration process left something to be desired, there was little-to-no advanced communication of the agenda, and there definitely needed to be more food during the cocktail party (I only saw one waiter with a plate, so I only managed to grab one hors-d'oeuvre during the whole party), and announcing the winners of the raffle did not seem well organized. In addition, it would have been nice to know ahead of time that the breakfast was carbs, carbs, and more carbs (primarily bananas and pastries).

But, in any event, to me none of that really mattered. I had a fantastic time talking to other points and miles junkies and, as I said, I enjoyed most of the presentations. The only one that I felt was a complete waste of time was the "Capital One Venture Card: the State of Travel and Rewards." I asked ahead of time if it was going to be one big advertisement for Capital One and was told no--WRONG! 95% of the presentation was nothing but a big advertisement for the Venture Card, which was really annoying. I actually got up and walked out of this one after about 25 minutes. I also walked out of the Advanced Q&A (even within basic FTU there was a beginner Q&A and an Advanced Q&A one day, and some of the stupid questions were painful to hear. I shudder to think what the questions must have been like in the beginner Q&A....)

In the end, I think, like anything else, FTU is what you make of it. I personally had a great time, met at least one person I will keep in touch with, and can't wait to attend FTU Advanced in Dallas.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 5:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Koko
just curious, what is your role in FTU?
Old Dec 16, 2014, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Tempted to sign up, get Hyatt Plat and then resell the ticket! Can't see me taking a hit of more than $75 even with the transfer fee ....

Not life changing but would amortise even if only 3 Hyatt stays next year. Shame they canned My Elite Rate.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Koko
just curious, what is your role in FTU?
I have none. No financial ties, no BFFs making money from it, have never even attended one. Wouldn't waste my money attending one, frankly. As you know, I prefer classic FT DO's where the money is spent on beer rather than speakers.

Just trying to fulfill my role as Ambassador to this forum by keeping folks aware of external miles and points resources that are out there that might be right for them. ^
Old Dec 16, 2014, 8:23 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by kokonutz
I have none. No financial ties, no BFFs making money from it, have never even attended one. Wouldn't waste my money attending one, frankly. As you know, I prefer classic FT DO's where the money is spent on beer rather than speakers.

Just trying to fulfill my role as Ambassador to this forum by keeping folks aware of external miles and points resources that are out there that might be right for them. ^
And you are doing a great job
Old Dec 16, 2014, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by Raffles
Tempted to sign up, get Hyatt Plat and then resell the ticket! Can't see me taking a hit of more than $75 even with the transfer fee ....

Not life changing but would amortise even if only 3 Hyatt stays next year. Shame they canned My Elite Rate.
Based on my following the FTU market, I do believe one can grab the status and get their money back (and perhaps even a small profit) by scalping FTU Advanced tickets.

The market seems glutted for FTU Remedial, however.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 9:29 am

https://ftuniversity.com/events/ftu-dallas/

Note re-branding in title.

Otherwise appears to be the same cast doing the same show in a different city.
Rebranding actually took effect in DC

We've lined up ~50% of the speakers so far, but if anyone has any topic or speaker suggestions we'd love to hear them. Always open to new or different topics.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by AtlantaAngel
I also attended FTUDC last weekend. This was the first FTU I have attended, so I attended regular FTU (although I would have been much better suited in FTU Advanced and already bought my ticket to FTU Advanced Dallas). I really enjoyed most of the presentations and felt that I did learn a few things. For example, I don't really use Hotwire or Priceline, so I felt that presentation was useful. Also, while I do use shopping portals, I learned a thing or two in the "Maximizing Miles via Online Portals." I even enjoyed listening to the stuff I already knew. True, there were some REALLY stupid questions asked by newbies, but that was to be expected and is certainly not the fault of the presenters or the FTU organizers.

As BXIAN said, there were some good and bad points. I totally agree that the registration process left something to be desired, there was little-to-no advanced communication of the agenda, and there definitely needed to be more food during the cocktail party (I only saw one waiter with a plate, so I only managed to grab one hors-d'oeuvre during the whole party), and announcing the winners of the raffle did not seem well organized. In addition, it would have been nice to know ahead of time that the breakfast was carbs, carbs, and more carbs (primarily bananas and pastries).

But, in any event, to me none of that really mattered. I had a fantastic time talking to other points and miles junkies and, as I said, I enjoyed most of the presentations. The only one that I felt was a complete waste of time was the "Capital One Venture Card: the State of Travel and Rewards." I asked ahead of time if it was going to be one big advertisement for Capital One and was told no--WRONG! 95% of the presentation was nothing but a big advertisement for the Venture Card, which was really annoying. I actually got up and walked out of this one after about 25 minutes. I also walked out of the Advanced Q&A (even within basic FTU there was a beginner Q&A and an Advanced Q&A one day, and some of the stupid questions were painful to hear. I shudder to think what the questions must have been like in the beginner Q&A....)

In the end, I think, like anything else, FTU is what you make of it. I personally had a great time, met at least one person I will keep in touch with, and can't wait to attend FTU Advanced in Dallas.
Thanks for your comments. You'll definitely notice a registration difference in Dallas.

WRT the Capital One presentation, I've got to apologize. I'm certain it was me you asked, and I was led to believe the presentation was going to be on industry trends; having sat in on it I completely agree with you that it was pretty much nothing but a promo. Sorry about that.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Originally Posted by rehoult
We've lined up ~50% of the speakers so far, but if anyone has any topic or speaker suggestions we'd love to hear them. Always open to new or different topics.
Is there a call for speakers posted anywhere? I'm sure there are a few of us around these parts who might consider responding to one.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Originally Posted by rehoult
WRT the Capital One presentation, I've got to apologize. I'm certain it was me you asked, and I was led to believe the presentation was going to be on industry trends; having sat in on it I completely agree with you that it was pretty much nothing but a promo. Sorry about that.
I'm not sure how it works in the travel industry, but in my field, when I am selected to speak at a conference, I usually have to turn in a specific speaking proposal (topic to be covered, learning objectives, and key topics to be covered) before I'm chosen. Then I have to turn in all slides and handouts in advance of the conference itself so that the sponsors can be sure there are no commercial conflicts and that my actual content is as promised.

I know at a few of conferences I have attended regularly for 10-15 years, it has greatly improved the quality of content, cut down on duplication from session to session, and helped weed out the commercially-heavy presentations.

Just a thought.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 4:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref

OK got it, I didn't realize that you were an ambassador in this forum
Old Dec 18, 2014, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
OK got it, I didn't realize that you were an ambassador in this forum
Um, that's MR. Ambassador to you!
Old Jan 8, 2015, 10:21 am

I live in San Diego and am looking for a ticket to the Advanced FTUniversity March 6th?
Best place to look?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.